Science Forums

Janus Project

Upon my daily exploration of the undiscovered lands in the tubes, i have stumbled across a project that very much interests me. Called the Janus project, it was aimed at creating a portable desktop/laptop pc aimed at one thing, and one thing only, network penetration testing.

this article on engadget describes the project:

Janus Project PC can scan 300 WiFi networks at once - Engadget

Basically uses 8 wifi cards to do wep cracking (through deauthentication or arp packet replay) of most wep-based networks in about 5 minutes and stuff like that.

I have set near plans for a similar project, utilizing the Asus Eee PC, and setting it up with 4 wifi cards, 2 bluetooth cards, a gps, extra 12 megs of storage, 2gb or ram and a touch screen and stuff of that kind, all running ubuntu with a custom kernel and compiled apps (for speed). Looking at about $800-1000 total cost, and all within the Eee PC laptop casing (i would like to have external antenni for at least 2 of the cards and an external antenna for the bluetooth dongles (rp-sma connectors for the size, methinkith). This will derive from this project: Eee PC Internal Upgrades - ivc wiki, except for putting in an fm receiver a modem, etc my version will have slightly bigger plans in mind :) (and all of this you guys can discuss here, and as i start building it, i will make a thread on it, though don't hope for the near future, i think anyways...)