Science Forums

Illiteracy - it's the end of the world as we know it

paigetheoracle

ah, that's pretty funny

my 1st ex doesn't know how to spell too good though (only learned how to spell 6th-10th before she dropped out)

but she still gets her point across

but she's one of the smartest, reliable, and resourceful person i know

she doesn't know how to spell, but she builds furniture, cabinets, and can do measurements like you wouldn't believe

but isn't it more like this:

image of scrambled-letter document

it does make sense though

:eek_big: This is what I was thinking of when I wrote post #56, where I masked the letters in the middle, rather than scrambled them. The scrambled versions seem significantly easier to understand.

Here’re its examples, both masked and scrambled versions:

A few examples:

• From a children’s reading textbook:
    Masked:

D--k s--d, "S-e w--t M--e a-d I h--e.

T--s is P--f w--h me.

T--t is S--t w--h M--e."

M--e s--d, "C--e h--e, g---s.

S-e S--t a-d P--f in a l----e p--y."

"Oh, i l--e p---s," s--d S---y,

"We do, t-o," s--d P-m a-d P---y.

Scrambled:

Dcik siad, "See waht Mkie and I hvae.

Tihs is Pfuf wtih me.

Taht is Sopt wtih Mkie

Mkie siad, "Cmoe hree, glirs.

See Sopt and Pfuf in a lltite paly."

"Oh, I lkie pylas," siad Slaly.

"We do, too," siad Pam and Pneny.

• From a recent lead news article, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/15/us/politics/15wright.html, processes to:
    Masked:

In t-e h-----l of y---s S-----r B----k O---a h-s s---t in t-e n------l s-------t, h-s s----e t----d h-s p----r h-s g--e f--m g-----g p----e to g-----g d------e to - as of F----y - s----g c-------m.

On F----y, Mr. O---a c----d a g--b b-g of s--------s by h-s l------e m------r, t-e R-v. J------h A. W----t Jr., "i----------y a-d a-------g."

"I r----t o------t t-e s--------s by R-v. W----t t--t a-e at i---e," he w---e in a c------n s-------t t--t w-s h-s s-------t in a s----s of p----c d--------s of h-s p----r's v---s o--r t-e p--t y--r.

Scrambled:

In the hdufnal of yares Sotnear Bcaark Ombaa has senpt in the nnataiol siglohptt, his scntae traowd his potasr has gnoe form gwlinog psirae to gwinrog dtcsianeto — as of Fadriy — srntog csicritim.

On Faridy, Mr. Oamba clelad a garb bag of stnmetates by his lmgointe mtiniesr, the Rev. Jimaeerh A. Wighrt Jr., “aolmfatrimny and aianplplg.”

“I rjceet orugthit the sattmteens by Rev. Whrigt taht are at isuse,” he wotre in a cmigpaan satntemet taht was his sgertosnt in a sriees of pbliuc dalowisvas of his pora’tss vwies oevr the psat yaer.

• From the first part of this post:
    Masked:

I t---k a r--------e d--------n of a "s-----r" c------y of a l------e is t--t it h-s a s-----r d-----n a-d n----r of f--------y u--d s------s. T----h I've no s--------g d--a on h--d, my i--------n f--m h----g s---t t--e b--h in t-e UK a-d US is t--t t---e c-------------s c-------e m--e w--h e---------l l---l t--n n---------y - t--t is, h----y e------d A-------s h--e l----r d------s a-d u-e m--e s------s t--n b--h l--s e------d B-----h a-d l--s e------d A-------s, n-t t--t h----y e------d B-----h h--e m--e t--n e-----y e------d A-------s, or l--s e------d B-----h m--e t--n e-----y u--------d A-------s.

Scrambled:

I tinhk a rloeasnabe dfieonitin of a “permisl” cuoqolly of a lauggnae is taht it has a slealmr dotiicn and nmbeur of fqunrteley uesd styaxens. Tghouh Iv’e no sionrpuptg dtaa on hnad, my iomsrspein form hvinag senpt tmie btoh in the UK and US is taht teshe cieichsrttacars cleatrore mroe wtih eactaduionl lveel tahn nnoliattaiy – taht is, hhlgiy eeaudctd Aarinecms hvae legarr dnioicts and use mroe styexnas tahn btoh lses eadteucd Bstriih and lses eaceudtd Acrianmes, not taht hghliy etdaecud Bsritih hvae mroe tahn eullqay etadeucd Anrameics, or lses ecdtuead Biirsth mroe tahn eaqluly uceaeduntd Aincemras.

Other than the “Dick and Jane” story, most of the scrambled text is less easy to read than the UtterBuffooery.com example.