Science Forums

Do Amino Acids Spontaneously Combust

tmaromine

Someone told me that amino acids spontaneously combust in 'air'/oxygen.

I asked my biology teacher this, and from what I remember, she basically said no. She said that they're stable, and she did say something about oxygen, but I now forget. She stated something about that to spontaneously combust, they'd be looking for another electron / more electrons ? Something like that.

This statement was stated in the sense that "Someone" had to create us since amino acids spontaneously combust in the air/oxygen we breathe. I can't find anything on this (since Google can't find anything relating amino acids, air, and combustion, maybe that's an evident enough a sign as it is), but if it does be the case, then obviously either 1) amino acids didn't form on Earth (panspermia?), 2) that oxygen didn't exist in the air when amino acids formed, or 3) they just don't combust. Which (if either of those three) ?

I don't know what the person who told you that was thinking.

Amino acids are stable and are used as reagents in laboratory settings. Now, it's possible for amino acids to take part in REDOX reactions with other chemicals, but they don't just spontaneously combust in air.

He said my biology teacher didn't know what she was talking about. I'll go tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. :hihi:

Thanks Mercedes.