Science Forums

Natural Selection vs evolution

TruthChaser

What I was saying is natural selection in any environment does not have to go to the most advanced genes, it can go to less advanced genes. If you look at the evolutionary tree, evolution went from dinosaurs to mammals. Since mammals had the more advanced genetic make-up, what you are claiming is they had selective advantage during the day of the dinosaurs.
I am sorry H-Bond, but a) what do you mean by more advanced genes? and :eek2: what makes you think mammal genes are more advanced than dinosaur ones.

Genes, or more likely genotypes, and certainly phenotypes, are neither advanced or primitive, they are fit, or unfit; fir or fitter. Advanced has no place in this discussion.

Thunderbird you make some interesting points. Would you agree there is a strong teleological aspect to what you are proposing?

Thunderbird you make some interesting points. Would you agree there is a strong teleological aspect to what you are proposing?

Thanks Eclogite, is "Eclogite" a metamorphic rock, I have a large piece from India, its one of my favorites....Anyway I think teleology is a predisposition and egocentric . I prefer to see the logic of the universe without becoming anthropomorphic about it.

• 3 weeks later...
Could you clarify that how natural selection and evolutiom can be different as well as same? What are the reasons for saying that natural selection and evolution are different.

M.J! You can find your friends who are also young including me. In fact, we are a community helping each other.:)

Sure, I'll clarify for you.

Well, they are similar since they involve change and time but in my opinion, I think they are different because evolution is how species have changed during time. On the other hand natural selection is like a harvester picking out his/her best crop. Also, if they were the same, why use the two different words that can describes something. (True, you have adjectives that mean the same time but, the concepts are different. You have the theory of how things change like the dinosaurs that might have survived to evolve to what we call birds. But, on the other hand, you have something that determines what will go on and lay the foundation for the new species down the road).

Aww! :]

That's very true about that we're part of a community helping each other! That's why I joined this site because I don't have friends that are into science and are willing to have a chat about these things.

P.S: Nice to meet ya! ;)

You have a better grasp of evolution than I had when I was fifteen! As an overview your statements are correct. Evolution, as you say, is a process of change. Today we generally talk about the frequency of particular genes within a population from one generation to the next. If this frequency changes (which might mean entirely new genes have emerged through mutation) then evolution has occured. Changes in frequency are driven by natural selection, but also by sexual selection and genetic drift.

Hahaha :]

Funny thing is, I struggled in biology and I owe it to the hours of studying in order to grasp it well because for my final, I had to write an essay on Darwin and evolution.

Sure, I'll clarify for you.

Well, they are similar since they involve change and time but in my opinion, I think they are different because evolution is how species have changed during time. On the other hand natural selection is like a harvester picking out his/her best crop. Also, if they were the same, why use the two different words that can describes something. (True, you have adjectives that mean the same time but, the concepts are different. You have the theory of how things change like the dinosaurs that might have survived to evolve to what we call birds. But, on the other hand, you have something that determines what will go on and lay the foundation for the new species down the road).

MJ, please check out my previous post in this thread. It should clear up the confusion you are having regarding natural selection and evolution.

http://hypography.com/forums/biology/13828-natural-selection-vs-evolution-3.html#post205872

• 5 months later...