Science Forums

Hello and thank you!

little cloud

What does a mad band director get?

What caught my eye (even though I don't have really good vision ;) ) was the fact that we can all have discussions and not ever have to drive anywhere or talk out loud, yet everyone can post new discoveries or answer others' questions. That's better than reading some science textbook.

(The top is a riddle)

What's an oompah band?

At beccareb's and prgmdave's high school, there is a student organization called the German Folk Club, primarily for students studying German. Among other things, they perform German folk dances, and a group of the kids who are musicians play in the oompah band. "Oompah band" is a slang expression in the US for a small band that plays German folk music. It is called "oompah" because there is always a tuba going "oompah, oompah, oompah..." in the background.

For those that may not be familiar with marching bands, a band that only marches in parades is a "parade band". A high school marching band performs a half-time show at (American) football games. It is called a "field show", and involves simultaneously playing music and complex marching that creates pictues or interesting effects (like concentric circles that expand and contract). A "competition band" also performs their show at marching band competitions. Beccareb's and pgrmdave's band won a (US east coast) championship in 2003 for bands in their size group.

Difference between an oboe and a bassoon:

I thought it was "Who cares?" :)

Did you guys ever do any competion bands? A good friend of mine was in Phantom Regiment and my brother marched with The Blue Devils. (I have no rhythm and tended not to march out of step, but to kind of just wander while playing. Judges don't like that too much, nor did my director come to think of it....) :D