Science Forums

Reversed Dictionary

Jet2

Just wonder if there is anything like that providing on-line? We've got a lot of on-line different dictionaries already. With which we can type in a word to find the meaning. What I want to find is a dictionary we can type in the meaning to find the suitable word. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Jet2:)

• 2 months later...
What I want to find is a dictionary we can type in the meaning to find the suitable word.
Does it related to A.I.? So that it's difficult to create?
Yes and No. What your describing could be implemented using something short of Turing test-capable AI, in the form of a large knowledge database “linking language with meaning”.

The longest running and most famous examples of this I know of is Doug Lenat’s Cyc. It’s supposed to have a web portal, but when I followed the links from the wikipedia article to OpenCyc.org and tried the “try it out here” link, I got an error.

There’s considerable controversy over how well such approaches can work, and the field is very far from my specialty and reading experience, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a bit of intense exploring might turn up something like what Jet describes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it can be done but may not be instantly.

Say if we can gather a group of people (or invite more and more people) who is interested in being the source, then when anyone post a question (sentence of meaning to find appropriate word) to the system, the source who happens to saw it can provide the answer accordingly.

And through time, we can collect enough information to build a backward dictionary.

Just wonder if Hypography would like to start this project?

Just wonder if there is anything like that providing on-line? We've got a lot of on-line different dictionaries already. With which we can type in a word to find the meaning. What I want to find is a dictionary we can type in the meaning to find the suitable word. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Jet2:)

I think that you have just more or less described Google, Yahoo, or any of the myriad search engines available. Admittedly you have to try & figure out the right search phrase still, but the engines have the basics. Try starting searches with words & phrases like 'define', 'who said', 'where is', 'what does' , etcetera, followed by your question in everyday terms. I use a question mark at the end too, but I don't know if that still counts as a wildcard or not in searches? ;) Given that the same question might have many variations in expressions, including all the human mistakes, I think a reverse dictionary as you outline it is impractical. What do you call someone that installs horseshoes? ;)

Dear Turtle,

Why don't you try the Reverse Dictionary @ OneLook Dictionary Search as well?

Somehow I think a reverse dictionary is very pratical especially for a non-English speaker like me. I am a Chinese, although I speak and write English very often, I find many time I would be stuck by not knowing how to name or call something which I only know a rough meaning.

Have a Merry Christmas day man!

Dear Turtle,

Why don't you try the Reverse Dictionary @ OneLook Dictionary Search as well?

Somehow I think a reverse dictionary is very pratical especially for a non-English speaker like me. I am a Chinese, although I speak and write English very often, I find many time I would be stuck by not knowing how to name or call something which I only know a rough meaning.

Have a Merry Christmas day man!

Merry Christmas to you. I know its late, but I was thinking that once kids get over 30 they know Santa ain't comin' 'till they go to bed. ;) So, I tried that link with the word 'horeshoer' and got to 'farrier' within 3 clicks from that. Not bad. :eek: Google didn't give me 'farrier' with just 'horshoer', but when I used 'What do you call someone that puts on horeshoes?', I found farrier in the summary on the 2nd page of results.

Saving new search engine to favorites. ;)