Science Forums

Intellegence vs awareness

motherengine

i have always had trouble with the mensan view that the higher the intelligence quotient a person has the more capable that person is when it come to reasoning capacity. after some soul searching i have come to the conclusion that intellectualism is reliant on learning capacity to function but that awareness is the fundamental aspect of what makes a person truly intelligent. as ridiculous as it may sound it was not until i began experiementing with marijuana that i began to think introspectively. i believe that the paranoia many people experience from thc use is actually a oversensitization to things occuring around and within them. in other words a hightened awareness can be sprung out of the use of halluncinagens at least in those with the latent potential required. it is this awareness combined with the ability to process information that breeds intellectual thought. so on the street a man with a high iq may have a more difficult time getting his mind around say the philosophy of good and evil than a man of a much lower iq. so as not to get caught up in semantics i am defining intelligence as the combination of reasoning and learning/applying.

i am defining intelligence as the combination of reasoning and learning/applying.

If the reasoning was inaccurate but yet a experience was learned and applied is this still intelligent? I have no definition of intelligence myself and dont wish to appear the devils advocate, im just wondering.

But, the outcome of a "combination of reasoning and learning/applying" i would describe as knowledge, as i believe knowledge (which i find synonymous with information) can be both true and false.

Unique topic title by the way ;)

Mother engine, in your original post i think you implied that you didnt want to get caught up in definitions, but when you clarified that you

...define knowlege as the acquisition of information and intelligence as the ability to process and reformulate that information.

i think you meant to mean that knowledge is information that has been acquired, not knowledge is the aquisition of information? I agree with you if thats the case

Anyway (im not arguing im just really interested in definitions of the two), as 'intelligence' is "the ability to process and reformulate...information" it could be said that a new-born baby was intelligent since it has the ability to learn, process and reformulate information. In which case intelligence and knowledge are seperate, even though knowledge implies intelligence, but yet intelligence doesnt necessarily imply knowledge. Interesting.

Ive never seperated them myself because ive always been confused of how an intelligence would manifest itself if it werent for knowledge. But now i have a clue; a new-born baby is one example. Nice one muva ;)