Science Forums

Holes in the Earth

freeztar

Congratulations!

My inexperienced GoogleEarthy eyes can’t tell if it’s a hole, or a dull-colored pond, but it’s definitely worth a looksee if you’re in the vicinity.

There appears to be about 400 m of dirt road running from a marked road right by the thing, and whatever it is, it’s about 50 m across, so should be hard to miss up. Because of the road, I’m guessing it’s man-made, some sort of quarry, mine, or a drainage pond.

I wonder if it’s a much smaller version of what’s at 45 38 37 N 121 09 59 W ?

:doh: OK It's about an 80 mile drive from my location & I'm trying to rally a possee. :) If the feature is an unusual natural one , perhaps the dirt track you mention is the result of people going to see it. I am familiar with the geology of the area, and the rock at my hole is as best I recall Columbia River Flood Basalt. Could be a lava vent or a crater formed by a steam explosion or of course, the ultimate hole in the ground, a meteorite crater. :phones:: >> CVO Website - Pacific Northwest Volcanics - Map

The large round structure you point out Craig is I think a mineral operation and or associated with the Dalles dam just upstream, but this doesn't rule it out as related to my hole by the above criteria and simply turned to some use by da peeps.

Just west of the hole I see a roundish structure too: perhaps something similar but eroded.

Oooooo!! Scanning around there while I type; look about 100 yards ESE of the center of the hole and there is a house/building nestled in the top of the draw. :hihi: I will take a map printout with me in case anyone challenges what I'm doing there. Good morning Mam; nice Benelli you have there.:eek: My name is Turtle and I am here doing a ground survey of a geologic feature for Google Earth Community in cooperation with Hypography Science Forums. :) :hihi:

• 3 months later...
Here's a hole in the Earth that I'm hoping someone can identify. :tongue:

It measures about 3 inches in diameter.

And, also in my backyard, is this neat ant nest without all the extraneous dirt piled atop.

The 3 inch hole looks alot like a bumble bee nest hole or a yellow jacket nest hole. Stir it up a little bit and find out!

Are those spider ants? If so, this might be relevant:

Sibley Nature Center, Midland, Texas: About the Center - Nature Trail Tour, July, 2006

It has a somewhat similar pic as your own:

I know near nothing of biology, is it even conceivable that ants could make a hole that size? Or, maybe they move into something some other critter constructed.

~modest

Are those spider ants?

I'm not sure, but I'll try to ID them.

I know near nothing of biology,

You keep saying that, but I think you're just being modest. :lol:

is it even conceivable that ants could make a hole that size? Or, maybe they move into something some other critter constructed.

I'm not sure, but that's a good question. In the case of the photo you provided, it looks like it was a minature sink hole that the ants took advantage of. According to this map, Midland, TX, is in karst terrain. Looking into the hole of the photo reveals the piece that fell into the hole, from what I can tell.

Anyhow, the mystery hole that I photographed is made by, and currently occupied by, an Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus). :ideamaybenot:

Anyhow, the mystery hole that I photographed is made by, and currently occupied by, an Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus). ;)

A chipmunk? The eastern kind you say. That probably was going to be my second guess. As soon as I ruled out the ant theory :doh:

Ants :ideamaybenot:

Ants digging chipmunk-sized holes :lol: I seriously need to get myself a biology 101 book. But thank you for mistaking my stupidity for modesty. That is very kind freeztar, most kind.

~modest

A chipmunk? The eastern kind you say. That probably was going to be my second guess. As soon as I ruled out the ant theory :doh:

Ants :ideamaybenot:

Ants digging chipmunk-sized holes :lol:

I just measured the said hole and it comes to about 6.5cm (~2.5in). The following article states shaft diameters of 4-6cm, so you're not that far off. :D Also, that's just a quick search. I would not be the least bit surprised to find another ant species that builds even bigger dens.

Journal of Insect Science

I seriously need to get myself a biology 101 book.

Biology 101 books will not teach you these things. I recommend carefully examining your own back yard, or a nearby park. ;)

But thank you for mistaking my stupidity for modesty. That is very kind freeztar, most kind.

"Without specific knowledge" is not the same as stupidity. ;)