Science Forums

Need info about solar panels?

somebody

hey guys, i need to know some information about solar panels for my project. I tried browsing around but can not get price over any of the solar panels (i did achieve volts, amps, etc data). But i need the price information as well. Most website required a phone or email so they can call me back with information but i was wondering if any of you guys have information before i go through the waiting process.

thanks

A few factors on cost. The cheaper they are to produce, the cheaper they can sell them. Costs involve materials and time. Much like computer chips, if you can make more panels in less time and at lower per/watt cost, then the consumers will also get lower costs. Then, factor in the installation cost, which is completely separate, but related. Different contractors have different prices and whatnot.

There are companies that build the machines that build the panels and sell those to the companies who actually build the panels themselves. Like here:

Applied Materials, Inc. - Solar

There are companies who build the panels, then sell those to the stores. Like here:

SunPower Tops List of Best Solar Panel Manufacturers - Environmental Leader: Green Business and Corporate Sustainability News

Then there are the companies who install the panels. Like here:

Solar Power Systems by SunWize-Solar Energy Products, Grid-Tie & Remote PV Power

Like the vegetables in the grocery store. You have the cost of the seeds, the fertilizer, and the equipment which hit the farmer. You have the cost of the fuel and the refrideration in the trucking from the farmer to the processing plant. You have the cost of the staff and the electricity at the processing plant, and then again from the truck to the store. Then the costs of the store to put them on the shelf and maintain them. You must drive down costs at each of these spots to drive down costs for the consumer.

In solar, the biggest cost "driver" is in the machines that manufacture them, and how efficient the fab is that installs those machines.

I know this isn't very specific, but hopefully it gives you a place to start.

EDIT: According to Forbes magazine:

Currently photovoltaics cost $2 to $3 per watt to build, down from $22 in 1980. Splinter thinks he can help drive the cost of solar to under $1 a watt. At that price, even after adding a dollar or two per watt of installation costs, solar power would rival grid-delivered fossil fuel power. (Bear in mind that watts here are measured at midday peaks. Even in California an installation rated at 1 kilowatt will produce only 1,600 kwh a year.)

• 2 weeks later...

The 7.30 Report - ABC

Australian technology to revolutionise clean electricity

While Australia gears up for new coal-fired power stations, the US has taken a dramatic turn - setting its sights on the sun.

Two of America's biggest power companies have unveiled plans for a multi-billion dollar expansion of solar power supply.

And the man behind it all is an Australian scientist who tried and failed to be heard here.

Contains: video, video extras, image, links, transcript.