Science Forums

Tormod et al What do you want at Hypography?

Michaelangelica

We so often get asked by Tomond et al what we want in hypography

I thought i might turn the tables

What do you guys want?

There often seems to be more moderators than members

I thought of putting this request in the lounge or the a water cooler but this seems to be the most democratic place.

What would you like us as members of hypography community to do?

I often do haphazard service on the "introductions" forums as I think this is important.

What other duties do oldies have to newbies?

As you know I post thousands of bits of miscellaneous info on hypog. Is this good, bad indifferent?

Where do you want to go with all this?

What will hypography look like in 1, 5, 10 years?

We now have the best Data base on Terra preta on the web.

Is this the sort of thing we should be doing?

Should we be arguing more, more discussions and having more fights?

(As if you would let us)

Is hypograpy just a lonely social club with digital margaritas?

In spite of what Mike says, Hypography has quite a bunch of "regulars" that are not staff members (moderators or whatever). I consider myself as one of those, and Mike surely falls into that category, just like many others.

I only react to an introduction if I have more to say than just "hello" or "welcome" - maybe I should react more, but chat is not really my cup of tea.

But - this is a question that actually arose on an other forum - should we regulars not observe a pause before reacting, just to give the newbies more of a chance to join into the discussion ? I can imagine that some are a bit overwhelmed by the amount of expertise that is displayed sometimes. And what should be considered as "a reasonable pause" ? Occasionally, I find myself so eager to help out that I forget to check and doublecheck my answer.

Still, I think this is a question to be considdered.

I'm no mod either, though am somewhat a regular (just not always a poster). I agree that the Introductions forum need to be. . .posted to. I don't check so often, so maybe they're fine. Just since it's mandatory, replies would be nice for them. And like Eric, chat/smalltalk isn't really my thing either.

Toward random bits of miscellaneous info: I personally like it. I've found the "Random Quirky Science Facts" (or whatever it is) very interesting, and random not-always-well-known facts are.

If Hypography is one of the best science forums on the internet, I'd say that's a good thing, no? I remember that I only found Hypo because I was Googling for an interesting science forum, and I found here. So far, this is the only science-specific forum I've bothered to bookmark and actually return to it semidaily.

I've always been extremely proud of the role I played in making this happen, appreciative of those who helped and set it up, and doubly appreciative of those who have shared and contributed to these discussions.

You, Michaelangelica, are definitely receiving some of my double appreciation for the energy and enthusiasm you have so consistently brought to these topics. :doh:

• 8 months later...
We so often get asked by Tomond et al what we want in hypography

I thought i might turn the tables

What do you guys want?

There often seems to be more moderators than members

I thought of putting this request in the lounge or the a water cooler but this seems to be the most democratic place.

What would you like us as members of hypography community to do?

I often do haphazard service on the "introductions" forums as I think this is important.

What other duties do oldies have to newbies?

As you know I post thousands of bits of miscellaneous info on hypog. Is this good, bad indifferent?

Where do you want to go with all this?

What will hypography look like in 1, 5, 10 years?

Is this the sort of thing we should be doing?

Should we be arguing more, more discussions and having more fights?

(As if you would let us)

Is hypograpy just a lonely social club with digital margaritas?

I think tormod created this list so he could hit on smart chicks:hihi:

• 3 weeks later...
I have a suggestion how about setting it up so we can get e-mail or at least some kind of notice when a social group we are a member of has a new post? I think it would go a long ways toward making the social groups more productive.

I seem to remember Tormod saying that social group notifications were not yet available in the software but that it is planned for future versions.

As for email, we have PMs and the ability to send someone an email from the site. :)

I seem to remember Tormod saying that social group notifications were not yet available in the software but that it is planned for future versions.

As for email, we have PMs and the ability to send someone an email from the site. :)

Yes I know that but not in assciation with the social groups.