Science Forums

"Thou sayest it."

Garry Denke

Actually there were two that I caught (search for them!), but obviously we're looking at too many millenia of sexism... :)

Your friendly neighborhood Amazon, ;)

Buffy

I did overlook Isabella Baumfree (Sojourner Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The name did not ring any bell, so I had to look her up. This may be blamed on my European education.

But you did make Marie Sklodowska-Curie a dull boy ! Of course, she could take her stand among famous male scientists of her day - e.g. on occasion of the Solvay Conferences (Solvay Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Surely, many other women scientists never obtained the recognition that was their due - just think of Lise Meitner (Lise Meitner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I once started a thread on a French woman scientist in the French forum, hoping for reactions from feminists and french students alike, but in vain. For those who are affraid the won't understand the French, it's subtitled.

http://hypography.com/forums/french-forum/8059-une-savante-oubliee-forgotten-woman-scientist.html

But you did make Marie Sklodowska-Curie a dull boy !
Well, sorta, but only because it turns out she appears *twice* in the list as both "Curie"--which I caught--and as "Sklodowska-Curie" which I did not....
Surely, many other women scientists never obtained the recognition that was their due...
No argument from me there! :hihi:

Unfortunately science--and religion--can be as macho as football.

Academic elbows to the face,

Buffy