Science Forums

Practical Solar Energy

nemo

So I was sitting in my house today, considering the chain of events taking place within my solar-powered watch as it recharged itself in the afternoon sunshine, when it occurred to me that I'd like to be able to put a few photons to work doing more than recharging a timepiece. Could anyone describe / recommend / direct me toward an implementation of solar energy within a residential setting that does not require me to invest a great deal of money, or completely redesign my electrical layout?

Thanks,

nemo

I did a simple google search, and found this site

http://www.bpsolar.com/homesolutions/Jump.cfm?Page=295

It has a useful calculator on it, although it seemed as though the smallest system cost $27,000 minus a rebate, depending on your location.

This site may be useful as well

http://www.homepower.com/index.cfm#

It has some good explanations of home solar power.

• 1 month later...

I just ran across this on Slashdot - I'd never heard of a solar tower before, but it seems feasable: air is warmed by solar energy at the base of the tower, rises through the 'chimney' and spins turbines on the way up. The unfortunate part about this is the size required to have a notable return of energy. Along this line of thought, though, why don't industrial plants (or any buildings with large smoke / steam stacks) use this technology already? Wouldn't that be a relatively simple and beneficial addition to the cooling towers I see on nuclear power plants?