Science Forums

Shampoo is unnecessary

Michaelangelica

For some people shampo may be unnesesary but for me it is as absolute must.

I shampoo twice when I shower, condition it and since it is long I use a hair gel. The hair gel is just conveinance all admit, but my hair becomes very oily after 24hr. You cannot remove this oil with water, that silly, the oil left in the hair keep the skin from exfoliating and any cells that do get stuck in your hair and decay. Gross, just gross. :)

i've heard about not using shampoo though, but never how long it takes for the natural oils to come back

so after about 3 weeks, i started using shampoo again

and it was the greatest my hair felt in such a long time, especially since i have naturally thick, very thick curly hair

it was great!

but people i work with would come into the office and ask "what the heck is that smell?'

after putting up with that for so long, i decided to use shampoo again

may this next time, i will just stick it out then

but i was also wondering how it affects the scalp if you keep your hair cut pretty short (i'm active duty military, Navy 8 1/2 years, and i like to keep my hair buzzed off)?

or does it affects the scalp the same?

• 2 weeks later...

anyways, after coming across this a few weeks ago, i decided to go for it again

tomorrow will be the end of week 2 for me that i haven't used shampoo

though there are times i have caught myself going for the body soap to dump onto my head, but i've managed to stop myself

only a few more weeks

Shampoo is unnecessary.

The No Shampoo challenge - Richard Glover - Opinion - smh.com.au

All my life I have had danduffy flakes in my hair.

I would spend between $10-$20 per week on medicated shampoos and conditioners.

A local radio announcer (Richard Glover) started

The No Shampoo challenge

The No Shampoo challenge - Richard Glover - Opinion - smh.com.au

(see also his ABC website)

If you leave your hair untouched by shampoo for six weeks the theory is the natural oils come back and your hair is healthy and clean.

This does not mean you don't wash you hair you rinse it under running water every day or two or three.

I nearly went bizrerk at week 4, wanting to wash my hair; but hung in bravely

Now I have the least dandruffy problems than I have had in 40 years and after numerous vists to dermatologists. My hair is 99.99% dandruff free; something I could not achieve with shampooing 4-5 times a week.

It is just great and I am saving $20 a week!

My worry is that this thing has taken off to such an extent that the Shampoo multi-nationals will take out a contract on Richard's life!:)

I had the smae problem for much of my life, at one point it was so bad my head was raw and the dandruff looked like corn flakes in my hair. I stopped washing my hair with shampoo and just rinsed in out every few days. It was wonderous. My head healed up the dandruff went away completely and my hair never looked better. to avoid the oily residue I do wash my hair our every few weeks with ivory soap (not diswashing liquid). theswe days my hair is snow white, I started graying young and by the time I was 40 it was white. I wear it long in a pony tail, my hair is thick, course, and bright white. some people actuall think I'm an albino or something untill they see my eyes. Even the little bit of beard i have is white. Shampoo is something I will never use again! A hardresser friend of mine is always after me to let her cut my hair. She says I have the thickest hair she has ever seen and that I have as much hair growing on my haed as six normal people. It is thick and not much room for scalp really. I can't pull most combs through it with out them breaking.

• 2 weeks later...

officially week 4 for me

my hair is kinda frizzy right now, but i run my fingers through it and it feels soft

my scalp also doesn't itch at all

no dandruff

and i've gotten out of the habit of even being tempted to use shampoo

i think the natural oil level is evening out also

but i have noticed that whenever i take a shower, i fill the oils on top of my head

and it fills thick

but once i dry it, it fills nice and soft