Science Forums

Fetalic dream like question

Queso

Is it possible for a fetus to dream.

What I mean is,

Is it possible for, you know,

a baby to dream before it comes out?

Yes sir. :)

Dreaming tends to be an activity where the brain is reorganizing itself. All of the experiences and internal functions happen at the level of the central nervous system, and, through dreams, these synaptic connections trim and grow. Babies, who are developing at significant rates, including their brains, go into REM sleep (dream sleep) at roughly the 23rd week of gestation or prior. ;)

Life Before Birth: The Fetal Senses

researchers have discovered that babies are dreaming as early as 23 weeks g.a.when rapid eye movement sleep is first observed (Birnholz, 1981). Studies of premature babies have revealed intense dreaming activity, occupying 100% of sleep time at 30 weeks g.a., and gradually diminishing to around 50% by term. Dreaming is a vigorous activity involving apparently coherent movements of the face and extremities in synchrony with the dream itself, manifested in markedly pleasant or unpleasant expressions. Dreaming is also an endogenous activity, neither reactive or evoked, expressing inner mental or emotional conditions. Observers say babies behave like adults do when they are dreaming (Roffwarg, Muzio, and Dement 1966).

Is it possible for a fetus to dream.
I think the general consensus among people who specialize in such things is a somewhat involved answer closer to “no” than “yes”, and depending on the age from conception.

Nerologically, there’s little difference between a fetus in the final weeks of a pregnancy and a newborn infant. Infants sleep a lot, and show patterns of REM and non-REM sleep similar but markedly different than adults. However, infant perception is likely a far stranger phenomina than people commonly think – in particular, infant short and long-term memory, which is in an normal adult sense (memorizing sequences of shapes and colors, etc.) nearly non-existent.

So while late-term fetuses and newborns can be said in a sense to dream, their dreams are so unlike those of older children and adult dreams that I wouldn’t consider them properly the same thing. My intuitive take on it is that infant dreams are of a strange, sort-of-mechanical, “I’m profoundly arranging my neurons here” nature. The closest an adult can come to subjectively relating to such a dream, I think, is through some of the very bizarre dreams experienced and reported by victims of brain damage due to accidents, strokes, etc, when the injured brain is forced to re-exert some of the neural plasticity associated with perinatal infancy.

The reason I ask is because I can recall a memory from what feels like before I was born. Although I'll never know when it really occured...it just "feels" like it.

Well, it sort of could be, but (as Craig's post suggests) any "memories" of something before birth (especially a dream) would be more along the lines of intensity without context. For example, you'd be more likely to remember a feeling of anxiety than anything about what may have caused it. No loud sounds or bright lights, just a reaction like "Huh!!!???" then a fast heartbeat and release of adrenaline, nothing more specific really.

Most likely, you've formed some sort of "false memory" in the context of a prebirth dream, but I'm just guessing. Memory is funny that way, as we consciously tend to fill in any gaps, hence completely reworking the memory itself during the process of recall. :)

What was she wearing? I don't remember, but I do remember she looked good. ;)

This would explain a lot about you orbsycli ;) nowadays this is a pretty common practice.

BABYPLUS - YOUR UNBORN BABY CAN LEARN!

BabyPlus - Your Unborn Baby Can Learn!

Over 25,000 children around the world have received a unique beginning to life--before they were born. Their parents assisted them with an ancient practice improved by modern technology. These youth are now brilliant students, socially skilled, and a joy to their families. Welcome to BabyPlus...

Music in the Womb

Pre-birth communication, Communicate with your unborn baby

Unborn babies can hear clearly at about 20 weeks of pregnancy and research suggests that they will remember the music you have played up to the age of twelve months.

I dreamt I was inside my moms womb, looking out.

It was like one of those small circular windows an old ship would have.

Don't remember what I saw outside. I just knew there was an outside.

I really believe that people crossfade. I have had dreams crossfade with other peoples'. This is especially apprent when I sleep in the same room as them.

Either way, it was cool for my first dream.

:doh: I see now, my bad, sorry I guess I missed this when I read it the first time. :bow:

orbsycli I really believe that people crossfade. I have had dreams crossfade with other peoples'. This is especially apparent when I sleep in the same room as them.[/Quote]

Yes this has happened to me before (to list a couple of times same page you know)' date=' once I was just an observer and couldn't interact with the person (as if I were there as a witness to there dream) and one time my best bud and myself had the same dream for a week strait, we never could figure it out we were both riding in this car (strange never seen this car before or after) down this very long dirt road.....

anyway it is documented and I have experienced it. ;) Shared dreams

I get the impression that DougF and Orbsycli are suggesting that telepathy is a documented, scientifically confirmed phenomenon. It’s important to understand that this is not the case – in experiments in which confounding factors such as people concluding they have had the same dream after describing their dreams to one another, or one person using trickery to convince the other they have shared their dream, it’s never been shown that people actually share significant dream or waking experiences other than through means of communication such as speech, writing/reading, and visual media.

Further, there’s no physical theoretical explanation of the phenomena. Only a few animals, such as sharks and rays, have organs capable of detecting the very small, very short-range magnetic fields generated by the nervous systems of other animals, and are able to use these organs only for the simple activity of detecting the presence of hidden prey. Although human beings could, in principle, have their nervous systems linked by artificial means, such as connecting them with electrodes and wires, there appears to be no non-artificial means of doing this.

Claims of telepathy require the support of scientifically valid experimental data, which to date consists of empirical data that proponents claim show very slightly better than chance correlation to hypothesized effects. Perhaps the best know collections of these data, analyses, and hypotheses are to be found in the work of Rupert Sheldrake. (Sheldrake.org was unresponsive when I checked – its latest archive.org archive)

OK how about it's documented that people have stated that they have experienced it. :bow:

"this is not a scientifically confirmed phenomenon"

(just a very strange coincidence):doh:

Thank you CraigD I wouldn't want give someone the wrong impression. ;)