Science Forums

Bugs and Butterflies

Cedars

I am almost 100% sure on this ID. Was testing the new camera's bug ability today and I caught an event. Tiger Beetles are bug predators and I caught this one catching an ant. Shots were taken from between 2 and 3 feet away (closest it would allow me). I had found it earlier and took some shots. On my return loop thru the yard I stopped to take some more (different lens). Once he/she caught the ant, it did not sit still much. First pic was a shot of the beetle standing very upright. Picture 2 is micro seconds before it hit the ant. 3 remaining shots are various angles after capture. Check out the jaws on this guy!

I encountered these bugs in Lechtenberg Park, and as I don't know the ID I'm posting them here. The caterpillar I found on a neckerchief on May 10; it's about 3/4" long. The beetle I found today while trying to photograph the flower it's on. :hihi: Note the antennae far out on the proboscis. :hihi: I got so into the beetle that I forgot to bring home a flower specimen. :hihi: It's a weird flower all right & I have no idea on the ID of it yet either in case any one has a clue. :hihi: :bow:

Oh yeah...here's those bugs. :bow: :)

I encountered these bugs in Lechtenberg Park, and as I don't know the ID I'm posting them here. The caterpillar I found on a neckerchief on May 10; it's about 3/4" long. The beetle I found today while trying to photograph the flower it's on. :rolleyes: Note the antennae far out on the proboscis. :cheer: I got so into the beetle that I forgot to bring home a flower specimen. :banghead: It's a weird flower all right & I have no idea on the ID of it yet either in case any one has a clue. :sherlock: :pirate:

The caterpillar is going to be impossible for me to ID. They can be tough under the best circumstances, and this one has a few strikes against it. 1. Its green. 2. Its pretty plain. 3. We dont know the host plant. Likely, it is a moth or possibly a sawfly lavae.

For the Beetle, I would direct you to this page:

Superfamily Curculionoidea - Snout and Bark Beetles - BugGuide.Net

You saw the bug and the picture doesnt give me much detail. You might be able to rule out many via memory. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

The caterpillar is going to be impossible for me to ID. They can be tough under the best circumstances, and this one has a few strikes against it. 1. Its green. 2. Its pretty plain. 3. We dont know the host plant. Likely, it is a moth or possibly a sawfly lavae.

For the Beetle, I would direct you to this page:

Superfamily Curculionoidea - Snout and Bark Beetles - BugGuide.Net

You saw the bug and the picture doesnt give me much detail. You might be able to rule out many via memory. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

Roger. I see that many of the beetle photos at the link are as dark as mine. :sherlock: It was a tiny thing, and flew onto my finger and crawled to the flower as I was examining it. I think for the Lechtenberg list, I'll just call it a Snout Beetle. Not to go too far OT, but do you recognize the flower the beetle is snouting? It appears to have only 2 real petals!? :rolleyes: I'll get some other shots of it before the Snouty arrived and put them in Wildflowers. Thanks! :cheer:

This insect is prolific on the bush beside my back door right now.

Gnarly! :hihi: They look like little Gila Monsters. :doh: Or perhaps just Spider food, like say for this largey I found under a rock in the garden today while photographing wildflowers. :doh: :naughty:

Gnarly! :moon: They look like little Gila Monsters. :hyper: Or perhaps just Spider food, like say for this largey I found under a rock in the garden today while photographing wildflowers. :note: :eswirl:

This is by no way a positive ID. Some spiders I can narrow down pretty fast, others I struggle with. This one falls under the struggle category.

I am thinking MAYBE one of this type:

Genus Dysdera - BugGuide.Net

A top shot might have helped a bit. I have learned eye patterns can be helpful for ID also.

Draft: Spider Eye Arrangements - BugGuide.Net

Bugguide has hundreds of pages of spider pics, which makes the search that much tougher.

Went up to Crex Meadows May 15. Things have been really slow this year due to the cold spring. The first of the butterflies are beginning to emerge and I received confirmation on my ID for this butterfly, the Juvenal's Duskywing Skipper (Erynnis juvenalis). Family -> Skipper (Hesperiidae) Subfamily -> Spreadwing (Pyrginae)

This butterfly will appear black in flight. Its flight is low to the ground and very erratic and haphazard to the observer. Also, I was unable to get a closed wing shots, and my inflight pics did not turn out clear enough or open winged. It was still fun trying to get a shot while flying.

Note the turned down hook at the end of their antenna. I think All skippers have this look.

I checked on the bush and there are now lots of ladybugs all over it. :hihi:

A few larvae are still around. This guy had the unfortunate luck of becoming lunch for this "tiger-esque" predator.

I also spotted this iridescent fly and managed to get a decent shot of it. It measured about 1/3 of an inch long (visual estimation).

I checked on the bush and there are now lots of ladybugs all over it. :hihi:

A few larvae are still around. This guy had the unfortunate luck of becoming lunch for this "tiger-esque" predator.

Top one is an assassin bug, likely Genus Pselliopus. I didnt go thru the whole listing to try to narrow it.

Genus Pselliopus - BugGuide.Net

I have not had a chance to look thru the flies.

How about dragon flies? Is there a online site for identifying dragon flies?

Bugguide.net has a section for dragonflies. If you load the page, on the left side is a picture of different types of bugs. Each of these is clickable and takes you to that guide section.

Dragonflies can be hard to ID. I know the end of the tail can be a ID feature as can side views, eye spacing and other views. You may want to review as much as possible before submitting a photo. It kinda helps to try to narrow it down to a genus and ask for help or confirmation on species.