Science Forums

Genetically modified organism

Queso

I ask because I've stopped eating meat and have been cooking with tofu and today someone tells me that tofu is all bad and is genetically engineered

haha

um I havn't found any evidence of this...it seems to be organic .. ?

Uh Help?

From wiki (on that Doc in your YouTube video):

[edit] Controversial dietary advice

Joseph Mercola's dietary recommendations often put him at odds with mainstream dietary advice. The elimination of processed grains from diets goes against the recommendation of the USDA food pyramid, where grains are viewed as a staple food. Mercola, however, points to theories on food allergies involving gluten, such as wheat allergy, and the relatively new introduction of grains into the human diet and theories that sugar and starch are associated with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance.[10]

Some dietary fats he promotes are also high in saturated fats, including unrefined coconut oil,[11] which also contains medium chain triglycerides. While saturated fats are considered by the American Heart Association as contributing to heart disease[12], a number of scientists (such as those from The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics) dispute this claim, stating that the lipid hypothesis has not been validated to scientific standards. Some other fringe nutritional groups beside Dr Mercola also advocate saturated fat consumption.

Mercola.com has hosted negative articles[13][14] about microwave ovens, calling them dangerous, citing accidents, lawsuits, biochemical changes and other health reservations about the chemical effects of microwaving food. He also offers non-microwave, convection ovens for sale in his store.[15] Mercola controversially[16] claims, "Microwaves may also cause pathological changes in your body. Once a food's structure is altered, it cannot perform the desired function in your body. Clinical studies show that microwave heating of milk or cooking of vegetables is associated with a decline in hemoglobin levels. These reductions may contribute to anemia, rheumatism, fever and thyroid deficiency."[17]

In supporting raw milk, Mercola is very critical of requirements for pasteurization, stating that it is unnecessary if cows are raised under healthy conditions.[18] He claims that raw milk is one of the finest source of protein and calcium available,[19] His main concern is that the high temperatures during pasteurization will destroy the valuable enzymes in milk and create converted proteins the body was never designed to handle.[20]

Mercola is also against homogenization.[21] He asserts that it causes fat globules to surround the enzyme xanthine oxidase (XO), which prevents the stomach from breaking down XO and allows XO to be absorbed intact into the bloodstream. He relates this additional bovine XO as a possible source of harmful oxidatitive stress contributory to heart failure and increased uric acid levels associated with gout.[22]

I recommend reading "The Botany of Desire" for some good info on GMOs. The last part of the book is all about the author's experience with "New Potatoes", a copyrighted potato created by Monsanto. He talks to farmers that grow them as well as organic farmers (he goes to Idaho of course). He even grows some himself (but he doesn't end up eating them). :(

I can't recommend it enough, it is one of my most favorite books ever.

His main argument is that contrary to what we humans believe, it is the plants that have been using humans to further their growth. He argues this point by going into detailed discussion about 4 plants: Apples, Lilies, Marijuana, and Potatoes.

His take on GMOs is very interesting and a view in which I align.

He takes his personal experiences and walks the reader along the path he traveled to come to his conclusions. He decides to not eat the "new potatoes" that he grows because he saw how deadly they were in his garden. Apparently the potato beetles would fall to the ground writhing after touching the plant for 1 second. The FDA did not know how to classify it and handed it off to the EPA. The EPA classified them as a pesticide. Yes, the actual potato was classified as a pesticide. They are being sold across the country, sometimes unknowingly to the consumer.

I have mixed feelings about GMOs, but I think we need to experiment much more and not just start replacing Nature's stock (in an extreme case of course). I feel the same way about pharmaceuticals.

Genetic modification of plants is not new, it is the rate of change possible today that makes me a little apprehensive.