Science Forums

Psychology and its detractors

coberst

Psychology and its detractors

I am a retired electronics engineer who was, until recently, totally ignorant of psychology except for the standard pop-psychology that seems to be universally the norm.

In the last few years I have devoted a good bit of time trying to comprehend psychology, both its history and its present state. During this short period I have posted on various forums many short threads about what I have learned about this science.

A very distinctive and common response has resulted. Almost everyone who responds is completely negative about psychology. It is also apparent that they are totally ignorant of this science except for the common pop-psychology knowledge.

I suspect that the degree of ignorance of psychology may be about as total as is the degree of ignorance of QM (quantum mechanics). However everyone seems to hold QM in high regard whereas almost everyone holds contempt for psychology.

Does anyone here have a considered opinion as to why this is true, assuming you agree it is true?

A very distinctive and common response has resulted. Almost everyone who responds is completely negative about psychology. It is also apparent that they are totally ignorant of this science except for the common pop-psychology knowledge.
An interesting psychological analysis can be formulated around this perception:

This general perception of ignorance in others can probably be traced to a Defense Mechanism that is caused by the Superego's inability to surpress the Id. The fact that the Id is winning in this battle is exposed by the tendency to gauge the perception as being extreme:

I suspect that the degree of ignorance of psychology may be about as total as is the degree of ignorance of QM (quantum mechanics).

Moreover, this perception is being subliminally twisted into direct persecution:

However everyone seems to hold QM in high regard whereas almost everyone holds contempt for psychology.

Left untreated, such an out of control defense mechanism can be harmful to one's mental health:

Defence mechanisms can also be maladaptive when they are continually used in a way that disrupts reality-testing. Repeated denial and paranoid projection use can cause people to lose touch with the real world and their surroundings and consequently isolate themselves from it and dwell in a ‘created’ world of their own design. For example, people with addictive behaviour are known to misuse such defence mechanisms as denial. Defence mechanisms can also be harmful if:
  • There are too few defences which can be employed in coping with threats;
  • There is too much superego activity, which causes the use of too many defences.

It would behoove a person with such symptoms to seek treatment, even if the symptoms seem mild.

To answer your final question, I see no data supporting the notion of a widespread dismissal of Psychology as a science except among certain Fundamentalist Christian sects and Scientologists, combined together representing a small minority of the US demographic.

I do recognize that Freud is not considered wholly accurate by the psychological science establishment--and with much justification in my mind, which does not diminish his contributions, only the validity of his exact theories and therapies which could not benefit from modern (not "pop") psychological science--but this can hardly be construed as being "rejection of psychology."

I did for your benefit however, restrict my analysis to purely Freudian concepts, so that it would be as acceptable as possible to your world-view.

Psychoanalysis in motion,

Buffy