Science Forums

Just a theory....

Drakon1323

The original idea of this post is because i am wondering where a good website could be found on the theories of relativity and cosmologic physics. I would like to study these a little further, plus see if a couple of ideas have any validity.

Ill let you take a stab at them also (probably literally) :rant:

share whats on your mind, rite?:hihi:

any book of an educational level would also be great.

Thanks

Im having a problem believing that 'space' itself bends around gravity. Light passing through a gravitational field would not necessarily be curving with space but merely be affected by gravity and passing through the given space.

A star which goes supernova colapses into a pulsar. Gravitational force grows so great that it has just taken the matter of the star and condensed it to a tight mass. In a highly energetic state, the matter is eficiently packed together and 'squeezed' under extreme pressure, causing energy to be released at the weakest point which is the poles.(hense pulsar)

A star that developes into a black hole would undergo the same process, and achieve the same result without the eratic wobble. The gravitational force is so great that it pulls even light waves in. What do i think that would look like? I imagine a map of the magnetic field and figure that the 'blackness' would follow the same shape. the difference being the magnetic field is elongated around the equatorial circumfrence due to the tremendous force of the gravity, not to rule out an excrutiatingly high rotation speed.

The black hole would produce the same energy jets, from the poles, originating from the matter in the centre.:hihi:

Im having a problem believing that 'space' itself bends around gravity.

Hi Drakon! Did you see the recent news on this?

Matter Surfs on Ripples of Space Time Around Black Hole

Scientists at Harvard and MIT say they have seen evidence of hot iron gas riding a ripple in spacetime around a black hole, much like a surfer catching a gnarly wave.

The observation confirms one important theory about how a black hole's extreme gravity can stretch light. This also paints an intriguing image of how a spinning black hole can drag the very fabric of space around with it, creating a choppy sea of space that distorts all that passes through it on a descent into the black hole.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/universe/blackhole_surfing.html

Is this age discrepency really true?

For example, if the cosmological constant today comprises most of the energy density of the universe, then the extrapolated age of the universe is much larger than it would be without such a term, which helps avoid the dilemma that the extrapolated age of the universe is younger than some of the oldest stars we observe!
I took this from one of the linked sites on dark matter.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101accel.html

I think you'll find a few discussions on this in this forum.

As far as I'm concerned there are no "truths" in science, only theories and degrees of knowledge. So what the page shows is the reason for evaluating the need to change our models based on new observations.

The original idea of this post is because i am wondering where a good website could be found on the theories of relativity and cosmologic physics. I would like to study these a little further, plus see if a couple of ideas have any validity.

Ill let you take a stab at them also (probably literally) :rant:

share whats on your mind, rite?:hihi:

any book of an educational level would also be great.

Thanks

One of my favorites is "The Whole Shebang" by Timothy Ferris:hyper:

Thanks linda, i'll check it out.

From what I understand, the idea that gravity curves space is just a representation so that we can better understand how it works. We don't understand gravity as well as we do, say, electricity, so it's kind of a "work in progress".

I'm starting to get that idea. I just thought they would have gotten a little farther.

Has anyone heard/know anything about a book called 'Three Roads to Quantum Gravity'? (by Lee Smolin)

Has anyone heard/know anything about a book called 'Three Roads to Quantum Gravity'? (by Lee Smolin)

Yup. It's on my shelf, still unread, because I was going to review it but had other things to do first (and this was two years ago). :hihi:

Lee Smolin is an excellent writer, though.

A star that developes into a black hole would undergo the same process, and achieve the same result without the eratic wobble. The gravitational force is so great that it pulls even light waves in. What do i think that would look like? I imagine a map of the magnetic field and figure that the 'blackness' would follow the same shape. the difference being the magnetic field is elongated around the equatorial circumfrence due to the tremendous force of the gravity, not to rule out an excrutiatingly high rotation speed.

The black hole would produce the same energy jets, from the poles, originating from the matter in the centre.:hihi:

Important note is that most models have black holes as roting. Same as for neutron

star or figure skater, as the radius of rotation shrinks, the rotation goes faster. This

force infalling material to accrete into a disk. Yes, jets do form at the poles (X rays).

From what I understand, we're not all sure why.

Maddog

Also on the idea of dark matter, i really see that just being energy, as a seperate state of matter, like plasma, in a distributed and stable state,filling the space not taken up by other matter.

Configured how ? All energy we know so far is configured into something Fermions with

mass or Bosons without (Z particle with exception has mass).

Maddog

It is still somewhat of a controversy, I think. Though I have slightly different facts. It is

that conventional wisdom has settled on 13.7 billion years since the big bang. However,

some globular clusters have been found to be more than 14 billion. Of course at the

time I read this it was thought that the universe was 12 billion so maybe this is now just

noise in the data.

Maddog

Yes, excellent book. After reading it, I started looking into Topos Theory and Loop

Quantum Gravity and restudying Twistor Theory by Roger Penrose.

Maddog