Science Forums

Hypertension????

bongo

I'm really concerned about something.. my brother has bp 160/80 the last time he checked and he's not very afraid of it but i'm a panic freak and i must admit that i am terrified.. it's true that my parents are on accupril because of hypertension... Do you think it's genetic? I think that hypertension can't be that genetic... it's blood pressure and how can that be that i don't have it but my brother does?

Any number of factors could be contributing to his hypertension and your lack of it. He should probably see a doctor as soon as possible and evaluate his options.

Here's the Mayo Clinic's info on hypertension:

High blood pressure (hypertension): Screening and diagnosis - MayoClinic.com

And Wiki's:

Hypertension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My father's mother suffered from hypertension and hypercholesterolemia, and she had a heart attack. Although she survived, she now has to watch her diet and maintain a physically active life. My other grandmother suffered from diabetes toward the end of her life, and her blood pressure was chronically high, which resulted in internal bleeding and many other health complications. This is a serious matter, and I would suggest that your brother consider his health and medical options.

I'm really concerned about something.. my brother has bp 160/80 the last time he checked and he's not very afraid of it but i'm a panic freak and i must admit that i am terrified.
First question: what do you mean by “checked”?

Although we often take blood pressure measurement for granted, it’s not uncommon a reading to be very inaccurate. Automatic sphygmomanometer are prone to giving high readings due to small movements during measurements. Manual readings depend on the uses experience with a stethoscope, so can err substantially in either direction on either number. So, before panicking, I’d be sure of your data. Repeat the measurment several times with the best equipment and technician you have, preferably a professional clinician – MD, nurse, med tech, etc. While you’re at it, it’s a good idea to get another simple test, blood glucose, to make sure your brother’s not showing symptoms of diabetes, of which hypertension is a common co-symptom. Automatic testing kits are available in most pharmacies, fairly inexpensive (about US $50). Better, if you know a diabetic, they’d likely be willing to test your brothers glucose using theirs, saving you both money and the hassle of learning the simple but easy-to-screw-up prick-drop-read procedure.

If your brother’s had a clinic visit, he’s likely heard all this, but there are some simple factors that influence blood pressure. The most common one is sodium intake, typically in the form of salt in food, which strongly effects how water flows through the many tissues and membranes in you body, including blood vessels. Cutting all the salt he conveniently can from his diet for a week of so might result in a dramatic drop in his BP, which, if really 160/80, is cause for concern.

We could provide a lot of scientific and medical speculation about high BP causes (and likely will, speculating being one of our favorite activities at hypography ;)), but without actually seeing your brother, such speculation isn’t very valuable, even from accomplished experts, so I’ll just close by wishing you, yours, and, while I’m at it, everybody, good health.