Science Forums

Calculus

AsaTaiyo

OK, in my calc class today we are doing trig substitution integrals . I was kinda wondering how the book gets these identities, because they show no proof and it really bothers me.

cos^2(x) = (1/2)(1+cos(2x))

sin^2(x) = (1/2)(1-cos(2x))

As in cos(x)cos(x), or sin(x)sin(x)

could someone help me in proving these identities

calculus and statistics are all branches of mathematics, so i see no problem in starting a thread here! (please do if you've got something!)

Bo

Myself, I am interested in Abstract Algebra, in particular Lie Groups. Kinda' specialized to be

a whole group. I agree thread would be better. I'll think of what I want to post. Later.

Maddog

group theory is incredible interesting (i think).. So please tell us something!

As for tim's proof, it is i think not complete, because you used another identity (cos(x+y)=stuff)

All these identities are (more or less)easy to proof, using the exponential form of the cos and sin functions (see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sine.html , equation 2, for the sine version); I'm affraid i don't see a proof, without using this form...

Bo

group theory is incredible interesting (i think).. So please tell us something!

Now that after four months of trying to understand it I eventually progress and start to have some enlightements (just in time actually, the exam is in a month) and I agree it's very interesting. I'm doing now Dirac's theory with the Lorentz groups.... (that is what I should study instead of writing here... :hihi: )

I'm affraid i don't see a proof, without using this form...

Bo

I agree, it's the one that comes directly from the definition, but you could still try to proof it with the corresponding series..... :rant:

OK Turtle bites. I love the beauty of the calculus! I suck at the pencil work, but ohhhhh the functions! Infinite surfaces with finite volumns (or vers visa)! Simply beautiful! As to the trigonmetric identities; they are ultimately algebraic re=statements. Some see the pattern easily, others (like me) don't. Math is hard & that's why we do it!

Now group theory; there's some meat. On my small page under Pictures are graphs that may be modeled under Group Theory:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2004/03/19.html

Technically, my system is a Ring. wherin the elements of the group allow addition, subtraction, nultiplication, but NOT division. When division works on group elements as well, it is called a FIeld. :hihi:

Now group theory; there's some meat. On my small page under Pictures are graphs that may be modeled under Group Theory:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2004/03/19.html

Technically, my system is a Ring. wherin the elements of the group allow addition, subtraction, nultiplication, but NOT division. When division works on group elements as well, it is called a FIeld. :rant:

I may have missed and will look again. Just to clarify -- Fields are Division Ring in which

there is closure under division for the ring. I myself am interested in a subset of Division

Rings called Normed Algebras (not nessecarily Fields). :hihi:

Maddog