Science Forums

Energy of Sun

ImZ

The sun produces energy by nuclear fusion around 3.8 x 10^26 W I think it was. The energy doesn't disappear, but only a tiny part hits our planet, providing input of energy for life to exist etc. It is almost certain that the sun will last for another 5 billion or so years, but before that it will grow into a red giant before shrinking again to a white dwarf. Then how long that one will last, I'm not sure.

During the nuclear fission there is production of gamma rays (photons). If I remember right this represents 0.7% of the energy disponible (much of it gets lost in neutrino i think). in addition to that the many of those gamma rays never make it out of the suns centers as they get absorbed before. So that where the enrgy disappears.

But there is so much hydrogen contained in the core that there is always more than 5 trillion grams of mass to be converted, and it's not as though this were all taking place in one isolated bubble at one time, it is taking place constantly throughout the core, more like a steady stream than a pulse.