Science Forums

Ap Chemistry and Beer's Law

Nootropic

So does anyone know if Beer's law has been omitted from the AP curriculum? I was printing off old AP questions to do and then I noticed one from last year about Beer's law and we have about two weeks till our exam and I doubt we are going to cover that (seeing as how are still on electrochemistry...).

I was going through the most recent AP Chemistry study book and it appears that Beer's Law does still appear occasionally on the exam. Even so, the problems involving Beer's Law on the AP test itself shouldn't be too difficult.

All you need to know is A=alc. (a is really alpha), where A is the absorbance, a is the molar absorbtivity, l is the length the light travels through the cuvette (in cm), and c is the concentration (M).

Plug and chug. :bloom:

Yeah, I looked at the answer the AP question and it was ridiculously easy. The "Beer's Law Calibration Plot", in other words, plot data and make a line! Hm..notation wise I've seen it given as A = abc, where b represents the length. Not a huge deviation, but those strange scientists and their letters (like magnetic fields...why B?). Yeah, Chemistry is bound to be the most difficult exam (so much information). Though most people think I'm crazy for taking the BC calc exam and not having had the class, much less a teacher, but it's difficulty will certainly pale in comparison to anything on that chemistry exam.

Well, technically I had an "independent study", so I basically taught myself. Ah, the joys of self-teaching. But I suppose the thing about calculus is that you can't get too far lost: there's only two things in to do. That is, differentiation and integration. And in chemistry, there's only like an infinite number of concepts you have to remember. Even if they do give us an equations sheet, you still have to know how to apply them, which is always a brainbuster.