Science Forums

"What is the Value of Everything..??"

Imagine a pile of bricks.. perhaps neatly stacked just a moment ago.. but knocked over by some unexpected event..

No one would have mistaken that pile of bricks for a house.. even before they were knocked over..

Now.. they’re just a mess of individual objects with no connection to each other..

Next.. imagine that same group of bricks with a purpose and some mortar..

Shaped according to a orderly plan and integrated together. What do you want to do with it..??

Simply asked.. "What is the Value of Everything..??"

Ashley

The value of the pile of bricks depends on what any human wants to gain and/or keep in interaction with the bricks. You may value the pile of bricks one way, I another. You may be sad to see the pile fall, I may be happy (perhaps I want to see a forest of trees in place of the bricks shaped together with mortar). Where there are no alternatives, no values are possible.

Intersting replies so far.. so good.. lol..

What I find interesting.. is that everyone so far.. has more or less.. defined value.. and while this is great.. the question asked.. "What is the Value of Everything..??"..

In our search for a GUT or UFT which in short is.. The Theory of Everything.. I question what the Value of Everything will mean.. how it will be defined.. and the properties that give the Value.. clarity..

Does this help define my original question..??

Ashley

No.:hihi:

In our search for a GUT or UFT which in short is.. The Theory of Everything.. I question what the Value of Everything will mean.. how it will be defined.. and the properties that give the Value.. clarity..
The value of everything will be ad hoc, subjective, plastic, dynamic, heirarchical, temporally, geographically and culturally unstable, etc

the value of any one item is worth only what some one will pay for it.

a pound of stainless steel is worth about 2.00, however as a rod is worth 10.00, or if in sewing needles, worth 100.00 or more...

i have a couple US pennies and a good many silver dollars, which at the store are worth 1 cent and 1 dollar; however on Ebay, and since collectible many would pay 400.00 for any one of them...

the world gross national product, the value of all goods and services is currently over 65 Trillion dollars, per year. the US makes up 13 trillion as does the European community.

Ashley

The most important value will lie in being earnest.

Who was it remarked (and of whom), "He knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Oscar Wilde made the remark in regard to cynics.

i have a couple US pennies and a good many silver dollars, which at the store are worth 1 cent and 1 dollar; however on Ebay, and since collectible many would pay 400.00 for any one of them...

Would one of those pennies be a 1909 VDB? :D

Guest chendoh

If I may try to interpolate.

Imagine a pile of bricks.. perhaps neatly stacked just a moment ago.. but knocked over by some unexpected event..

‘Brane’s floating in the primordial expanse…..When at least two of them touch, and start to unfold into a new ‘brane.

No one would have mistaken that pile of bricks for a house.. even before they were knocked over..

Before or after, the ‘Event’; a ‘brane is just a ‘brane.

Now.. they’re just a mess of individual objects with no connection to each other..

The ‘brane is unfolding, and from the heat of the ‘Event’, the individual particles inflate in all directions.

Next.. imagine that same group of bricks with a purpose and some mortar..

I do not sense a ‘purpose’, unless it is one of ‘Nature’s order’. the mortar is the slowing of ‘inflation’ the loss of heat, and the coagulation of the primordial particles into electrons, protons, and neutrons.

Shaped according to a orderly plan and integrated together. What do you want to do with it..??

These electrons, protons, and neutrons form atoms, and with the ‘other’ forces created by the ‘Event’ become larger groupings, and with ‘Nature’s Order’ not me, become the building blocks for this particular ‘brane.

What I find interesting.. is that everyone so far.. has more or less.. defined value.. and while this is great.. the question asked.. "What is the Value of Everything..??"..

Excuse my boldness, but your question….. "What is the Value of Everything..??"..Has value to you, but is hard for others to understand. The following quote is what opened the door for me.

As astronomers have found out, everything in our ‘brane is recyclable, and with ever higher extremes in the process, newer, and stranger particles and elements will be formed.

When you and I are long gone the sun will expand to consume the earth, and turn it into nourishment for future generations.

So for now….. Value… Definition….and Properties, are wrapped up in the fact that ‘Everything is Recylable’

IMHO……..Does this help to answer your original question? :D

Turtle; actually i have a few rolls of VDB Lincolns, but for some reason no 1909 S vdb. the ones mentioned are Indian Heads and the silver dollars are Morgans...

Likely because they are so rare. I think Indian Head pennies are one of the best looking US coins ever minted. :) (Be back with numismatics thread link)

Oscar Wilde made the remark in regard to cynics.

Ah, yes. If in doubt, it is usually Wilde. I should have guessed.

And applause for the neat reference to The Importance. Were you a Hollywood scriptwriter I am sure the crowd would go wild as you received your oscar.

:rotfl: Touche! :hihi: However, I have fingaled out that Oscar was not above a little thievery from the brick pile himself.

To whit >>

Cecily: When I see a spade I call it a spade.

Gwendolen: I am glad to say I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.

--Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

But the earliest version of this saying is much older. >>

To call a spade a spade, which means, ironically for this discussion, 'to speak plainly and bluntly; to speak without euphemisms', is first found in Ancient Greece. The exact origin is uncertain; the playwright Menander, in a fragment, said "I call a fig a fig, a spade a spade," but Lucian attributes the phrase to Aristophanes...

Reference >> The Mavens' Word of the Day

Summing up, the value of everything is what you make of it. :doh:

Well, I agree with much of what has been said, but not all of it, and not in all senses. There is certainly an aspect of the idea and word "value" that is in our minds -- beauty in the eye of the beholder -- because, after all, we human invented the word. So, there shouldn't be anything odd or surprising that we think of value this way. Does value lie within -- i.e., is it intrinsic -- or does it depend on the observer, or a little of both?

Consider: Financiers and others pay alot of money for "options". These aren't parts of the buildings or real estate owned by a company, and they aren't even ownership shares of the company. They are merely "options" or "opportunities" to buy some shares at a later date. Similarly, in some senses anyhow, the mere fact of something's existence makes it valuable because only things that exist can be used to create, build, accomplish, feed, fulfill, or realize other things that do have value. For example, to do anything with the bricks, they have to exist first, and there existence brings opportunity or option value, at the least, into the world ready to be seen or utilized (hopefully in positive ways). Similarly, in order to be happy, you have to exist first. Similarly, in order to love, you have to exist. And, in order to be loved, you have to exist and the other person (or cat, or dog, or whatever) has to exist too. So, mere existence is the first step -- and it's not a small one! -- towards other larger values? If a person doesn't see mere existence as valuable in some sense -- his own existence, or the existence of bricks, or the existence of a cat, or the existence of a rock in your backyard -- then, it seems to me, the question could be asked, Does that mean that the person takes existence for granted? Existence, of course, is not to be taken for granted or easily kept, at least not from a scientific standpoint, as any dead person can (actually, can't) tell you.

In any case, it's a great question. Cheers. "hug"

If I now understand the OP more correctly, I would say that the "value of everything" is that "it provides an alternative to nothing", perhaps leading to synthesis, for without alternative (perhaps also synthesis) "value" itself not possible.