Science Forums

Environmental Study of my backyard

freeztar

Never! ;)

Yes, it's always nice to find a rare species. Did you notify anyone?

Crex Meadows is a known spot for this plant. While I wouldnt say they are all over the place, yesterday I found several more growing in different areas.

I was hunting for the ever elusive Karners Blue that is established in the meadows. I didnt find any but I chased around several Blues and Hairstreaks in the hopes that the flittering blue would turn out to be a rarity.

Maybe next year I will score the big one.

The three shots are of the same butterfly. Not enough for a positive ID other than one of the Blues.

It appears you have a Sparassis crispa, more commonanly known as a Cauliflower mushroom. It looks great.

Botany Photo of the Day: Sparassis crispa

California Fungi: Sparassis crispa

Nice! :eek2:

I looked up the species and I think the one I photographed is actually S. spathulata. None of the pictures I could find looked exactly like my find, but I got the tip about spathulata from this link, which btw, is an excellent guide on mushrooms of the US, particullarly the NW. It's great to see it available for free. :)

And then...the plot thickens...

All of the links I followed mentioned that these mushrooms are parasitic on the roots of pine and oak. Interestingly, my find lies directly adjacent to an American Holly, with no other trees around for 10m in every direction.

Hmmmm....:eek:

All of the links I followed mentioned that these mushrooms are parasitic on the roots of pine and oak. Interestingly, my find lies directly adjacent to an American Holly, with no other trees around for 10m in every direction.

They're adapting! They've had enough of pines and oaks and are seeking different company. :eek2:

I volunteered for The Nature Conservancy this past weekend and we went to a site in the mountains of north Georgia where the only known population of green pitcher plants, in Georgia, reside. We cleared away young trees that were shading the pitcher plants to allow them to survive on the 1 acre plot. Early next year they will do a prescribed burn to clear the remaining contenders. Apparently the pitcher plants love the fire and flower prolifically after a burn. I snapped a few photos. You can tell the drought has had an impact by the dry/dead tips.

Nice 'shroom freezy! This hot 100% humid weather had sprouted my yard, too. Last week there were about 50 mushrooms in a 10 x 20 ft area out my front door, many more under the oaks beyond that, some gilled but boletes mostly, red and yelow, browns and whites. I need a nice cheap digital camera so I can get things posted.

Can you id. the thorny climber that is in the right side of your picture? It is a real problem in my yard, and so thorny, it could be part of a good security system, that and thistles, or worse!! prickly pears.....:eek:

Nice! :)

I looked up the species and I think the one I photographed is actually S. spathulata. None of the pictures I could find looked exactly like my find, but I got the tip about spathulata from this link, which btw, is an excellent guide on mushrooms of the US, particullarly the NW. It's great to see it available for free. :)

Uhmmmm...if your talking about the white shroom that looks like coral, those are oak leaves in the upper-left corner of your photo. :) :eek2:

Nice 'shroom freezy! This hot 100% humid weather had sprouted my yard, too. Last week there were about 50 mushrooms in a 10 x 20 ft area out my front door, many more under the oaks beyond that, some gilled but boletes mostly, red and yelow, browns and whites. I need a nice cheap digital camera so I can get things posted.

Cool! :eek2:

It seems that everything is taking advantage of the rain while it can.

Can you id. the thorny climber that is in the right side of your picture? It is a real problem in my yard, and so thorny, it could be part of a good security system, that and thistles, or worse!! prickly pears.....:eek:

That's a Smilax. They are definitely a pain and I even got barbed while trying to clear room for the photos.

Uhmmmm...if your talking about the white shroom that looks like coral, those are oak leaves in the upper-left corner of your photo. :eek2: :eek:

Indeed they are. :)

The problem is that the oak tree is about 1 year old, 2 tops. Hardly a sufficient root mass to feed a mushroom of such large proportions. (I should note that two large oaks are nearby, but still distant from the holly and the fungus)

Perhaps there is a large, rotting oak root-wad beneath the soil that is feeding this thing. It's not too far-fetched considering the holly tree. I can imagine a previous landowner cutting down an oak and planting a holly in its place.

Who knows? :)

Indeed they are. ;)

The problem is that the oak tree is about 1 year old, 2 tops. Hardly a sufficient root mass to feed a mushroom of such large proportions. (I should note that two large oaks are nearby, but still distant from the holly and the fungus)

Perhaps there is a large, rotting oak root-wad beneath the soil that is feeding this thing. It's not too far-fetched considering the holly tree. I can imagine a previous landowner cutting down an oak and planting a holly in its place.

Who knows? :woohoo:

I seem to recall oaks & certain fungi have a particular kind of symbiotic relationship wherin they require each other to live. These are different fungi than what take advantage of dead wood. :turtle: :eek2:

addendum: Here's the scoop when I looked a little further. Mutualism > Obligate Relationship

...Like most oaks, Oregon oak has an obligate relationship with mycorrhizal fungi, which provide additional moisture and nutrients.

(I lost the original link to the above...ooopsss:doh:)

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/see...7_content.html

Mutualistic relationships are the only type of relationship where both individuals benefit. Usually this benefit takes the form of allowing each species to live in places where they otherwise would not be capable of doing. Mutualisms are often facultative reationships in that the two species can generally live without the other, although both do better when they are with each other. Many mutualisms are obligate relationships, wherein both species need the other to survive and / or propagate.

• 3 months later...

This is not from my backyard, but rather from an endangered-threatened plant survey I performed with a colleague in Cobb Co., GA. The flower in question is the Georgia aster, but before we go any further, there are no such things as asters in America now (I think N. America in general, but I haven't confirmed this yet). What used to be known as Aster georgianum is now Symphyotrichum georgiana. :girlneener:

Anyhoo, here are some photos of the flower as well as a descriptive link:

Georgia Aster (Aster georgianus) Species Profile

I must make a correction. The aster family (Asteraceae) is alive and well. What happened is the Aster genus was broken into other genuses, except for Old World species. More here...

I tried to find some additional information about some of the caterpillars which feed on Asters, but I havent been able to locate that yet. I remember being surprised because its one of the larger butterflies around here.

I will keep looking.

OK it's really my front yard. I came across a nice stinkhorn last week, I took pictures even though it was a day late and it had already broken and was fast becoming a meal for woodsy critters. Today while raking the leaves I noticed that there is a whole nursery of stinkhorn "eggs" waiting for the right conditions to "hatch". Then as I raked leaves off the edge of a pine chip pile I came across this big fella(size and weight = mediium goose egg)... and a few others waiting to burst forth. a first time seeing this type of fungi(sh'room?) in my yard or elsewhere...:ud:

patsapeachygal's Public Gallery - AOL Pictures

sorry can't seem to post the right pic... :hihi: this is the emerging fungi

Awesome PTP!!

It doesn't have to be your *back*yard. :hihi:

I've only seen stinkhorns one time, at the UGA campus. The stinkhorn fruiting bodies I observed were very phallic looking and much different than the photo you posted, but I'm sure that many stinkhorn varieties are present in our area and I certainly wasn't raking at the leaves around the specimen I observed. (off to Google I go...)

:ud: