Science Forums

Non Carbon based life

Moontanman

Why ingest anything!

Why breath oxygen or whatever ...... why not hold all essential ingredients inside the being and survive by solar power ... or be born with everything you need to survive inside your body without ever having to take in anything....

Sort of like a self sufficient entity that requires nothing to survive and just observes.

Maybe thats high level of evolution down the evolutionary road beyond the horizon but carbon can be manipulated and easiily form such complexity .... but other periodic elements find difficulty evolving along a stable curve.

The small bacteria found down the mine recently lived on radiation for sustanence .. Imagine what dark creepy life forms can evolve on planets or even huge asteroids from the radiation produced by Nuetron stars!!!Possible?

We have those - they are called plants.. the energy conversion process is slow so they dont move much.. Also I dont know how one would harness the suns power directly, trees convert it into chemical potential energy - and then use that.

Yes it may be possible, albiet improbable, the argument that I am making is that these lifeforms wouldnt be all that fun to talk QM to..

Gribbon, if you have something to say to IN I would suggest sending a PM, that sort of stuff shouldn't be discussed on the boards.

Okay then InfyNow, granted the description and wording used is similar to the site you linked to, but it isn’t the same. The only part which is, is this:

“fungi and bacteria can produce volatile methylated arsenic compounds”

…anyone would describe it like that anyway…

Look again at the quotes in my post. I would like to neg rep you again for, in addition to your plagarism, so blatantly lying about it when called out.

You've done it before, and I've called you out on it before. It's not necessarily that I dislike you, it's that I dislike you pretending words are your own when you're truly copying/pasting from others without attributing credit... then being further deceiptful by switching around words and adding others like, "I also remember that..." before you paste info from others.

You're lying, academically dishonest, and disrespectful to the original authors... that's what I dislike. However, Jay-qu is right we can continue in other ways if you feel the need to do so.

We breathe in oxygen in elemental form and breathe out CO2, this process of respiration gives us energy. For a silicon based lifeform, SiO2 is sand.. breathe in air - cough up sand ?

How do you know they would inhale oxygen? Maybe they breathe in titatium and cough out TiSi2 transistors. Who says they breathe? :D

:phones:

You are correct, it isn't necessary for an organism to actually breathe as in draw air into it's lungs it is necessary to respire in some way. Our way happens to be breathing. There is another reason you are unlikely to see macro organisms respiring iron sulfide is because it doesn't give up enough energy to support a large organism. As far as we know only oxygen respiration is energetic enough for that.