Science Forums

Breatharians

Queso

I've never met any of those people, nor been around them for a long enough period to say.

Why would they lie?

I think that woman starved because she was stupid.

No one's going to heal in a hotel bed. Unless they're on vacation.

Three weeks is so long to go without food....

I went 60 hours a few days ago and I went out in the woods with some water, and my knife.

When the sun came up, I noticed how psychedelic everything was...

Everything was moving. The grass was swaying, the roots were growing, and my skin was moving in all directions...

I was sober. I have been for a long time. Go without food, hike for miles, and you'll trip mildly on your own DMT. It was an intense experience that I'm glad I put myself thru. I feel a lot less disgusting on the inside.

I will never ever try to go more than 3 days every year, or half a year.

If you ever meet a breatharian, let me know.

Until then...

(P.s. I'm well aware of how absurd this seems. I post all this madness to get your feedback. You all help me whiddle to the truth)

I've never met any of those people, nor been around them for a long enough period to say.

Why would they lie?

I suspect that Bretharians who sell books, places in seminars, and similar things, falsely claim to have lived years without eating (or, some claim, drinking) to increase the amount of money they make, by increasing the number and conviction of people who believe the claim that it’s possible to live without eating.

Others believe it in large, I think, in an effort to reject the conclusion of biological science and rational, scientific logic in general. The idea that reality is not governed by materialistic scientific laws, but by is magical and without limits, is very attractive to many people.

At its roots, Bretharianism proposes that human beings don’t obtain the energy necessary to live from food, via the well-defined chemical processes discovered by centuries of chemists and biologists, but from some substance in the air. Scientific explanations that note that air doesn’t contain the necessary concentrations of chemicals necessary for animal metabolism (eg: not just oxygen, but proteins, lipids, and sugars that can be efficiently converted to glucose), nor lungs the necessary physical membranes and structures to allow large molecules like these latter to enter the body, are usually not convincing to people like Bretharians, because they reject the scientific models these explanations use.

I think that woman starved because she was stupid.

No one's going to heal in a hotel bed. Unless they're on vacation.

A person who does not eat will eventually starve, regardless of if they stay in a hotel room, or a cabin in the wilderness. I firmly believe that any person who claims to have eaten nothing whatever for over a year, and many Bretharians do, are either lieing, of psychotically delusional. As such psychosis is unusual, and there are very few Bretharians, I suspect all or nearly all of them that make this claim are lieing.

Many Bretharians don’t claim to have yet reached the level of personal development that allows them to never eat, but claim that, within months or years, they will. Scientifically, however, it’s almost certain they will not.

Three weeks is so long to go without food....
3 weeks is a long, but not un-survivable fast. Bretharians, however, claim to be able to fast for over a year, or even for the rest of their lives.

In short, by any scientific standard, there is not truth whatever to Bretharianism.

• 3 months later...

She deserves a little credit for helping clean up the gene pool. Future generations would benefit greatly by the elemination of people so dumb as to believe one can live without food. Anyone remember the "Heaven's Gate" cult? Marshall Applewhite convinced the males in a group of 39 members that they should have their testicles removed. They did. Then he convinced them that the Hale-Bopp comet's arrival signaled the arrival of a great spaceship and that they should all wear Nikes, drink poison, lay down, cover themselves with purple shrouds, and thereby go to meet it. They did.

Good Riddance!!!