Science Forums

Environmental Study Of Lechtenberg Park

Turtle

Soilent Green is people. :clue:

Indeed. :eek:

I can't top that one. (except with a little hot sauce of course)

Roger source; thank you. :D

Sie sind willkommen Turtlesan.

The video just came up finally. :hihi: :) Likewise not a moluscularly informed individual myself, I may inadvertantly have videographed some snail genitalia here, as I see some 'protruberance' on one of the specimens. :clue: :doh: :) :D Here we go thens: >>

Awesome video!

Someone at the Washington Department of Ecology might be able to ID it. I'd recommend sending them a link to the video and seeing what they have to say. I might be able to scout out the right people to talk to, if you're interested in getting to the bottom of this. :)

Indeed. :lol:

I can't top that one. (except with a little hot sauce of course)

Sie sind willkommen Turtlesan.

Awesome video!

Someone at the Washington Department of Ecology might be able to ID it. I'd recommend sending them a link to the video and seeing what they have to say. I might be able to scout out the right people to talk to, if you're interested in getting to the bottom of this. :(

:D It appears my earlier reply didn't post. :thumbs_do Anyway, I'm all in for the contact; do you have a specific contact address in mind? I'm all about getting to the bottom. :hihi: :doh:

Moving right along at a snail's pace :doh:, I have more to report on the expedition of the 24th. .......:hihi:

I meant to mention that we measured the water temperature of the stream in the shade at 49º F.

While clearing some trail, I collected a twig with leaves & fruit of a fairly large shrub just nearby. When I got it home, I made a clean angled cut on the stem & plopped it in a cup of water. Didn't really keep it from wilting as this procedure often does, but I got around to working on its ID this afternoon nonetheless. Voila! :hihi: A new species. I give you, Red Elderberry - Sambucus racemosa

He carved a flute of elder green,

And notched it well & true,

Then pursed his lips & puffed his cheeks

And merrily he blew."

-Maurice Thompson

(1844-1901)

Paghat's Garden: Sambucus racemosa pubens

Red Elderberry - Sambucus racemosa

collected June 24, 2008

Lechtenberg Park

Clark County Washington - native

Awesome! :hihi:

The grain pattern inside the concave part of the spoon is quite symmetric and gives it a nice appeal.

Q's: How did you get it shiny (safe for consumption?)? Is that a small hole/depression inside the spoon or is it just a dark circular area (I notice several others on the back of the handle---presumably twig outgrowths?)?

Awesome! :lol:

The grain pattern inside the concave part of the spoon is quite symmetric and gives it a nice appeal.

Q's: How did you get it shiny (safe for consumption?)? Is that a small hole/depression inside the spoon or is it just a dark circular area (I notice several others on the back of the handle---presumably twig outgrowths?)?

Sit here by the fire Son, and let me tell you. :D :kuku: One has to both devine & respect what the wood wants, and accomodate it. To achieve that symmetry requires a blank prepared so that the plane of the spoon bowl is at or just below the plane of the axis of the raw branch. Moreover, the long center line of the spoon is laid on the center line (the pith) of the branch. That the symmetry is slightly off in my spoon, is an indication of how twisted the grain is in this particular piece, i.e., because I laid out the center, but in carving down into the bowl, the grain twists and the pattern with it. This twist makes this particular branch useless for any bow.

The shiny finish is hand rubbed mineral oil; safe for consumption. The tiny dark spots are twig outgrowths, and in this size referred to as 'pin knots'. Pin knots are further classed as 'tight' or 'loose', and these are tight. They also hide by virtue of the above described cut layout through the center, and the pin knot down in the bowl did knot :hihi: not :magic: appear until I carved down. Pin knots render a piece of yew useless for bows as well I hear.

Now that it's complete, I have done what I refrained from throughout, and that is putting it in my mouth. The yew spoon put my tongue in a cradled fit that was like.......mmmmmm....like butter. :jab: Color me a happy turtle. :rotfl:

Well done Turcarver! :jab:

Is it possible to seal the pit with some type of resin...perhaps pine-based? That might make it useable. :hihi:

:lol: :D My bad for not clarifying 'tight' pin knot. :rotfl: The qualifier 'tight' indicates that there is no separation between the branchlet part of the knot and the wood surrounding it. This is not to say that over time a separation may arise and then the pin knot is qualified as 'loose'. So, the pin knot is tight so no leakage, and the mineral oil is soaked into the pores so no liquid penetration. The yew spoon is beatifically simply useable. :kuku:

I do intend to look for some pitch in Lechtenberg, as I may try my hand at making an arrow or flighted lance with my Ninebark stem. As you suggest, Native Americans employed pitch as a sealant and as I suggest, as a glue. In the case of arrows, one technique for attaching the feather flights is to glue them to the shaft along their length, and bind the ends. If I go with a lance, I may as well carve an atlatl while I'm at it. I know just the Heron nests to search under for feathers.

Thank you again forest spirits for your gifts. :magic:

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, that spear thing is kinda frightening.

I'd be more worried about me with a sling than a spear, if scars are any judge. :hihi: :hyper:

No new trips to the forest to report, but I do have a new plant report. On the last trip to Lechtenberg, Buffalo was happily eating a plant leaf shaped like a large clover, and though he assure me it was eatable, I passed 'til I had a positive ID. Last week, we went botanizing on the East Fork Lewis River, and again Buffalo was grazing on this herb. :evil: Fortunately, I took my field guides and we soon ID'd the plant as likely Western Yellow Oxalis - Oxalis suksdorfi. (I found a lot of species of Oxalis listed on-line that my book doesn't have; this seems the most likely.)

Assured of my safety, I tried the leaves and found them very tasty. Not only is it eatable, it makes illness treatable. :hihi: :hihi: Here's a bit more: :) >> Native American Ethnobotany - Google Book Search

Oxalis has long been one of my favorite wild edibles. It has a bit of ascorbic acid, which gives it the sourness. A word of caution though! Consuming large quantities of this plant can inhibit the bodies ability to absorb calcium. I'm not sure how much you would have to eat, over what length of time,* but I take the safe road and pick and nibble sparingly. :)

*I'll try to research this...

Oxalis has long been one of my favorite wild edibles. It has a bit of ascorbic acid, which gives it the sourness. A word of caution though! Consuming large quantities of this plant can inhibit the bodies ability to absorb calcium. I'm not sure how much you would have to eat, over what length of time,* but I take the safe road and pick and nibble sparingly. :)

*I'll try to research this...

Ermmm...Oxalic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;)

The leaves contain oxalic acid, which gives them their sharp flavour. Perfectly all right in small quantities, the leaves should not be eaten in large amounts since oxalic acid can bind up the body's supply of calcium leading to nutritional deficiency. The quantity of oxalic acid will be reduced if the leaves are cooked. People with a tendency to rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones or hyperacidity should take especial caution if including this plant in their diet since it can aggravate their condition[238].
Oxalis corniculata - Plants For A Future database report

Now if we only knew what 'small quantity' meant. :confused: :eek: :turtle:

Now if we only knew what 'small quantity' meant.

Yeah, that's what I want to research. I've read several sources stating that it should not be eaten in "large quantities". I suppose we have to put our chemistry hats on to get to the bottom of it...

On a side note, skunk cabbage is loaded with oxalic acid. It's still edible, but you must dry the leaves out or boil them.

Yeah, that's what I want to research. I've read several sources stating that it should not be eaten in "large quantities". I suppose we have to put our chemistry hats on to get to the bottom of it...

On a side note, skunk cabbage is loaded with oxalic acid. It's still edible, but you must dry the leaves out or boil them.

I wasn't sure about eating Skunk Cabbage, but I had heard of using the leaves as wraps for other food. Danke Freezy. :eek:

Here's something from the medicinal plant link I gave; it gives nutrient content on a 'per leaf' basis. ::

... The leaves contain about 86% water, 2.3% protein, 0.8% fat, 8.2% carbohydrate, 150mg calcium, 78mg phosphorus, 8mg iron, 0.6mg niacin, 78mg vitamin C, 6050µg beta carotene[173]. The leaves contain between 7 - 12% oxalate[218].
Oxalis corniculata - Plants For A Future database report

These quantities...% by weight, oui/no? :confused: :turtle: