Science Forums

Rock Hounds Unite

• 1 month later...

We had are annual rock swap in June, it went very well, despite the high price of gas the usual vendors showed. I had a local write up in the paper on my carvings and was pleasantly surprised that three people came out just to see them , and one man who is about to retire wants to start gem carving himself, so I’m helping him get started.

I have started a new carving and have pictures to post to show the progression, but they will have to wait until I am allowed to attach photos. Its ok it will take 9-11 months to complete.

The carving is out of a 2lb piece of Brazilian agate. it is going to be a conch shell. I’ve made the primary cuts with the saw and I’m currently working on the widening the cuts with the flex shaft dremel rotary tool. The original rough piece, fantastically had the shape of conch shell to begin with, which will allow me to keep an even banding of colors as I cut deeper into the material. If I do not ****up and work slowly I may have another award winner on the horizon .I’m getting excited about this one. I can tell already this stone contains all those magic properties in it. All I need to do is coax it out. Pics to come.

... I have started a new carving and have pictures to post to show the progression, but they will have to wait until I am allowed to attach photos. Its ok it will take 9-11 months to complete.

The carving is out of a 2lb piece of Brazilian agate. it is going to be a conch shell. I’ve made the primary cuts with the saw and I’m currently working on the widening the cuts with the flex shaft dremel rotary tool. The original rough piece, fantastically had the shape of conch shell to begin with, which will allow me to keep an even banding of colors as I cut deeper into the material. If I do not ****up and work slowly I may have another award winner on the horizon .I’m getting excited about this one. I can tell already this stone contains all those magic properties in it. All I need to do is coax it out. Pics to come.

Ahhh the Conch! How much hollowing do you plan?

On the photos, you can go to your profile page and start an album to put them in. No waiting that I'm aware of. When you then click on a photo in the album, there is below it both a URL and a tagged address you can copy & then paste into your posts to display the image. :lol: :)

Ahhh the Conch! How much hollowing do you plan?

On the photos, you can go to your profile page and start an album to put them in. No waiting that I'm aware of. When you then click on a photo in the album, there is below it both a URL and a tagged address you can copy & then paste into your posts to display the image. :bounce: :confused:

As much as possible, this will allow the light to pass though. I may try to carve a hermit crab out of jade, or another piece of agate separtly, to be utilized as a stand. This rough has a red outer layer that is translucient so the points of the shell will transition out to red. Underneath that there is a white and gray banding. From experiance this layer should light up as soft amber hues after polishing. The banding so for has allowed me to cut it in such a way that follows the concentric ridges around the shell. I'm in the zone right now its like non linear magic time. Thanks for the pic tips, I'll try to get them up this weekend. :turtle:

Pool party time!

As much as possible, this will allow the light to pass though. I may try to carve a hermit crab out of jade, or another piece of agate separtly, to be utilized as a stand.

Awesome!

Question: How exactly does one go about hollowing it out (especially given the interior form of a conch shell)? :bounce:

This rough has a red outer layer that is translucient so the points of the shell will transition out to red. Underneath that there is a white and gray banding. From experiance this layer should light up as soft amber hues after polishing. The banding so for has allowed me to cut it in such a way that follows the concentric ridges around the shell.

Awesome! It sounds like the perfect piece for a conch carving!

I'm in the zone right now its like non linear magic time.

Work your magic! :confused:

Thanks for the pic tips, I'll try to get them up this weekend. :turtle:

Awesome! :hihi:

Also, you can still use the old system of posting images by using the attachment feature below the main text box of any reply you are making. It accepts all the most common image formats.

Awesome!

Question: How exactly does one go about hollowing it out (especially given the interior form of a conch shell)? :xx:It will not be hollowed out like a real conch, but using a long burr I will be able to under cut enough material out so the back wide end should allow light to pass in and diffuse, thus giving it the desired glow. the front spiraling points will be fun to cut and should really catch the light in interesting ways.

Awesome! It sounds like the perfect piece for a conch carving!

Work your magic! :phones:

Awesome! :cheer:

Also, you can still use the old system of posting images by using the attachment feature below the main text box of any reply you are making. It accepts all the most common image formats.

Ok I will try to get some imaigs up tomorrow I have a full day off. First time in 2-3 months. :eek2:

:( All I see for the pics is little boxes with red x's! Is it just me? :hihi:

Same here.

It looks as if you are trying to link directly to an email attachment. You will need to save the picture and then upload it here via one of the methods described earlier. Let me know if you need some help with this. :(

Same here.

It looks as if you are trying to link directly to an email attachment. You will need to save the picture and then upload it here via one of the methods described earlier. Let me know if you need some help with this. :(

I cannot go to my profile page or down load images, :( I have been a bad boy. :hihi: