Science Forums

Rock Hounds Unite

I don't know how many of you belong to your local gem and mineral club, but when I first started going about 8yrs ago, most of the members were senior citizens. I will be 47 next Monday,:turtle: anyway I have been noticing a resurgence in the hobby in the last couple of years, particular our last rock swap There were some young people set up booths and eager to learn gem cutting from the old timers like myself and my club members. This was very satisfying to me to see a resurgence in science and the art of rock hounding, also the science channels are showing more and more stuff on geology. Ten years ago there was next to nothing. The travel channel even has the show Cash and Treasures. Anyone catch that show? My main question is.. has anyone noticed the hobbies of rock hounding and lapidary making a come back with a new generation?

It is my belief that all but the greatest of field geologists suffer from two conditions when they set out to construct a geological map through careful observation of rock outcrops. These two conditions are the Differential Dilema and the Similarity Syndrome.

Under the influence of the Differential Dilema every rock the geologist examines appears different, even when they are almost adjacent to each other in outcrop and are, infact, the same type.

When the Similarity Syndrome holds sway each specimen appears to be the same, even though they are of radically different kinds.

Alternation of these two conditions leads eventually to insanity and shortly thereafter to graduation.

It is my belief that all but the greatest of field geologists suffer from two conditions when they set out to construct a geological map through careful observation of rock outcrops. These two conditions are the Differential Dilema and the Similarity Syndrome.

Under the influence of the Differential Dilema every rock the geologist examines appears different, even when they are almost adjacent to each other in outcrop and are, infact, the same type.

When the Similarity Syndrome holds sway each specimen appears to be the same, even though they are of radically different kinds.

Alternation of these two conditions leads eventually to insanity and shortly thereafter to graduation.

I discovered a mineral deposit on my father land 15 yrs ago. The out crops within a 40 acre area were an underlying layer of a high sodium plutonic granite, 1.5 billion yr old, with an over lapping and cross cutting layers of an fine grained porphyry. An erosion unconformity 1 bill.yrs, with an overlying layered beach sandstone. 500 mill.yrs old. Within the cross cutting areas were areas of alteration by hydrothermal and serpentization of the wall rock. In one wash I found chunks of good quality lizardite serpentine embed with highly altered granite and pieces of what look like large chunks of milky quartz, later test showed it to be plagioclase feldspar. Some float where as large as 8-9lbs.

There were also large xyenoliths of plagioclase feldspar embedded in the joints of the granite.

In one area about the size of a swimming pool at the top of the wash the granite became more altered to the point of altering to mariposite, and chunks of serpentine and hematite were found as a conglomerate. signifying a probable mineralized pipe.

I had four different geologist out surveying at different times and not one of them classified the mineralizing event the same way.

But,;) I think they were all correct because they were just looking at different aspects of the same "elephant"

Thanks for your reply & ideas. I didn't know that a rock show might have cutting services, plus I thought it would cost a fortune. I can definately afford a few bucks though. I've never investigated a rock show...but I am going to now!

My geode (or possible geode) is quite round, a little granite-looking and definately has a "glint" to it.

Lily

What kind of power tools do ya have lying around?

Band saws fitted with fine to medium toothed blades for metal working do a reasonably good job. The key is to let the tool do the work...use just enough (very light) pressure to keep blade and specimen in contact....also you'll need to rig a basin and a small pump (powerheads for aquariums fitted with flexible tubing are perfect for this) to circulate some sort of coolant to prevent blade failure. Plain ol automotive antifreeze works really well.(and can be reused over and over)

My rig uses an old basement wash tub type sink, a $20 pond circulater pump, a bucks worth of tubing, an aerator screen from a faucet (to keep bigger particulate out of the pump) ,and a cheapy band saw which cost me about a hundred bucks...well worth it as I can cut to my hearts content needing only to buy a roughly $20 blade every so often...how often depends on what you cut, how big, how patient you are willing to be (If you are impatient and force it you'll ruin blades pretty darn quick!) ,and how often you cut.

The things to remember are if you buy decent tools and take care of them you almost never have to buy them again... nor do you have to pay someone else to cut for you...Plus it's fun to do it yourself...plus you get the bragging rights not only for finding it but the also for how it turns out!:painting: (and also you don't have to waste time and money trying to find someone to cut for you.)

This is an article I wrote for our Gem and mineral club and local paper.

Little did I know, when making my first trip to the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina some five years ago, that I was embarking on a journey that would combine my lifelong study and interest in rare gemstones and life sciences, with an added dimension of power tools.

My fascination with rocks and gems began many years ago, and I already was in possession of a modest collection at the time of that first visit to Cherokee and Franklin, North Carolina.

My search of additional specimens eventually led me to a small rock and gem shop in Franklin, where I met an amazing man named Pedro. Pedro greeted me coolly at first, but eventually, recognizing a kindred spirit I suppose, invited me to his workshop. There he introduced me to the unique and fascinating art of lapidary.

Lapidary, or stone carving, differs from other types of carving or from sculpture in that the medium is a hard gemstone that requires water-cooled, diamond abrasive power tools to cut it. Favorite stones for lapidary include jade, agate, quartz and ruby. For my first lesson Pedro gave me soapstone and showed me the rudimentary elements of stone carving. Leaving the area at the end of the weekend with samples of soapstone, I spotted a woodcarving shop and bought my first Foredom power tool, with an assortment of diamond burs.

And so it began…

Arriving home, I immediately set up shop in the basement. Using the soapstone, I taught myself the basic steps of carving and produced some very elementary shapes. Almost immediately, I realized several things. I realized that I had some talent, that I was not going to be satisfied with soapstone as a medium for long, and that I absolutely loved carving. Nothing else in my life could compare with the feeling I received from creating something with my own hands and my own imagination. From soapstone I moved on to agate, and moss agate, and produced some quite credible frogs and other creatures. Finally I was ready to move on to gemstones.

My goal in carving has become this: to match and combine the elements of the stone I am about to carve to the form and dynamics of North American creatures. The only way this is possible though, is to know the characteristics of the subject matter.

One of my favorite examples of this fussion is a carving I call “ Sculpin In Moss Agate”. In this piece, the mottled amber hues speckled with embedded manganese spots of the stone matches the shape and form of this bottom dwelling fish almost perfectly.

The sculpin has always fascinated me, from the first moments that I became aware of the varied types of fish present in the streams I was swimming in, to the later years, when I would snorkel in those same streams watching bass, perch, goggle-eye, suckers, chubs, and of course, the sculpin in their natural environments.

In studying this fish's habits, one can see how this fish is able to camouflage itself in stream bottoms, among these very types of stone, and the natural pattern of the stone lends it an almost life-like characteristic. After it was completed, I realized that by carving this fish I had captured a piece of myself. I had taken one of those moments that I carry around in my memory, and subconsciously transferred it to the stone. The finished product depicts the subject as I remembed it.

In learning my newfound craft, I continued traveling throughout the Midwest, attending gem and mineral shows, visiting rock and gem shops, and talking with artisans of every kind. My biggest influence has probably been the workmanship of the Cherokee Indian artisans, specifically in Cherokee, North Carolina. From talking with them and enjoying their crafts, I was able to fully understand that carving and lapidary is all about capturing the spirit of the world around us.

One other type of carving is called “in situ” carving, which involves starting with a stone that is made up of two distinct minerals, usually a gemstone in a matrix. My favorite specimen for this type of carving is ruby in zoisite, which is found in Tanzania, Africa. In this mixture, the contrast of the ruby crystal imbedded in the bright green zoisite lends itself to the creation of pieces such as “Ruby Tree Frog”.

Then arrived the biggest challenge of all. After mastering the art of carving fish, frogs and reptiles, I felt I was now prepared to advance to the carving of mammals. In Potosi, Missouri I live very close to the Sayersbrook Bison Ranch, and have had the opportunity to study the form of the American Bison. This became an inspiration to me, and eventually led to the creation of two other favorites of mine “Bison in Jade” and “Prairie Demon”.

This piece is carved from a large two-pound ruby crystal that possesses the strength and symmetry needed to portray the spirit of the American Bison.

It was after the completion of these two pieces that I became acquainted with Mark Hadley, a member of the Mineral Area Rock and Gem Club” that I belong to. Mark had discovered a fascinating new stone, almost literally in his backyard, which lies just south of Taum Sauk in the St. Francois Mountains.

The stone is beautifully layered jasper with rich earth tones, and hues of red, brown and yellow. Mark Hadley is also a lapidary and he has named this stone “Dreamstone”. He uses it to fashion Southwest-style jewelry. I had always wanted to find a native Missouri stone that was suitable for carving, and in Dreamstone, I have found that perfect medium which has led to the creation of “Bison in Dreamstone”. This carving was donated to the Sayersbrook Art Auction, a local fundraising effort that provides scholarships for students in Washington County, Missouri.

I recently saw a documentary on PBS about the late philosopher, Joseph Campbell, in which it showed portions of an interview in which he had said, “Follow your bliss, it will take you where you need to go.” In carving, I believe I have found that bliss.

Carving has given me a way of combining the nobility of the gemstones that I admire, with the life source of the subjects that I have studied, and of creating pieces of art that can be shared with others. In this way, I’m hoping to portray a different aspect of the natural beauty that surrounds us, and communicate that to others in a new and unique way.

... recently saw a documentary on PBS about the late philosopher, Joseph Campbell, in which it showed portions of an interview in which he had said, “Follow your bliss, it will take you where you need to go.” In carving, I believe I have found that bliss.

I have seen that show, and I used to have the companion book. Nuff' said Thunderbird; your bliss is showing. :lol:

I have anymore just one mineral site I occasionally collect from, but in the last decade I went all minimalist & got rid of most collections and stopped making new ones. Anyway, I put a photo here and described it as chalcedony/jasper, and with your carving & gem experience I wonder if you would characterize it for me, and give me some indication if collecting more has any market? It's post #5 if you haven't already read it, & here is the rock again. Thanks. :cup: :hihi:

(click to open full-size image in window)

Those carvings are excellent TB!

Do you ever sell any of them, or are they a personal collection?

I have sold the ruby tree frog for 450$ baby dragon for 450$ a lapis frog for 250$ a lapis snail for 150$. I'v given away most as gifts or donations, but I still have in my personal collection of what I consider my best work. I'v produced about 50 gem carvings and about the same in soft stone like soap stone. a few pieces of Jewelry. I have spent aprox 25 thousand on equipment and rough and made back about 3% of that back.

I have spent aprox 25 thousand on equipment and rough and made back about 3% of that back.

:shade:

I suppose it's just like any hobby, you always pour a ton of money into it and most of the returns are in the form of self-satisfaction and enjoyment. Nonetheless, I imagine that as your skills increase and you get more exposure, you will see the percentage gain increase through time. :QuestionM

This looks alot like Missouri Dreamstone, Mark sells me the rough for about 1$ a pound. After he fashions it into pieces like below they can go for as much as 300$

This is Marks web site...

http://http://www.missouridreamstone.com/services.htm

I can't get that page to load. :( The rock is from the Cascades in Washington state, and the site is unreachable because of snow right now. Maybe I'll get up there this Summer on one of my Sasquatch expeditions and grab a few pounds. :hihi:

I can't get that page to load. :(

I've fixed the link. The site is here.

NEWSTONEAGE

The rock is from the Cascades in Washington state, and the site is unreachable because of snow right now. Maybe I'll get up there this Summer on one of my Sasquatch expeditions and grab a few pounds. :(

I'm not sure how valuable that material would be really. :hihi:

It's pretty stuff, but it seems that those thin veins of quartzite (?) would make it difficult to work with, but I'm sure TB can testify to this much better than I. TB, would those veins make the stone more difficult to work with?

I've fixed the link. The site is here.

NEWSTONEAGE

I'm not sure how valuable that material would be really. :hihi:

It's pretty stuff, but it seems that those thin veins of quartzite (?) would make it difficult to work with, but I'm sure TB can testify to this much better than I. TB, would those veins make the stone more difficult to work with?

OK Got there. Takk. Since the Missouri stone only comes from the one place in Missouri, I could either call this 'Mock Missouri Dreamstone', or name it something different. :(

I have concern abought the veining as well in that piece. There is wide variability in the gem material at the site; some shiny, some dull, some with veins, some without. There is blue & white banded agate & drussy quartz too, and all of it in a jumble on top of the dike it formed in. I have never collected anymore than what I found on the ground, but properly motivated ($$$) I would go in and at it with prybar & hammer. :(