Science Forums

About Taiwan, one more time.

Ganoderma

Many people know about the situating with China/Taiwan.

I cannot find a news article, but it was on tv and the radio. Last week the Japanese supreme court ruled that a dormitory that Taiwan bought a long time is now not Taiwanese. Their reasoning for this was that because Japan and China re-established themselves Taiwan did not own this anymore. One week before a Chinese visit to Japan.

China, as they always d, is pressuring the states not to sell Taiwan weapons/military equipment and are getting a little pushy.

Europe is starting to get a little frustrated with Taiwan as well. Many business people want to see Taiwan open up to the Chinese market claiming they will see a large increase in business/trade.

I agree that if Taiwan opens to china, the big business will grow, but i fear society will sort of collapse. Right now people here enjoy a similar like to that or canada/america/australia etc. Free, can vote, own property, have medical at a fair rate (better than USA), good education, most people own a house and computer, cars scooters etc etc. life here is good and not too hard. my fear is with the ever increasing Chinese impact and Taiwan’s business people moving to china, the society here will suffer greatly.

this is the difference between china and Taiwan. Taiwan has freedom and does not imprison people for talking. China is a third world style country that happens to be filthy rich and powerful.

So how does a nation please the pressures of overseas business while sustaining its homeland in a free/prosperous way? They need to make europe/americas happy. if they don’t they will be broke in a month. But we do not want to become enslaved like other countries are.

thoughts?

My mother and her family left Taiwan several years after Chiang Kai-shek (Jiang Jieshih) took power and went to Brazil and later to America. Though I don't keep in close contact with my mother's country, I feel very sad about the situation there--the country and people are caught in a no-man's land of international politics and greed. Politically most countries say Taiwan belongs to China, but they've had unofficial relations with the country anyway. Taiwan has a long history of belonging to many other countries and very little of belonging to itself. It has its own government, money, culture, and worked itself out of the ruins of World War II into a major economic power in Asia today. And, unfortunately, I believe that's why China wants Taiwan more than ever, much like they wanted and won Hong Kong. It's about money and it's about pride. It's not about the people.

Even though Taiwan has about 23 million people and a large economy (one of the most successful in Asia), free and prosperous society, it's relegated to the backwaters of international politics and attention, except when China wants to shoot more missiles over the island and threaten to invade and kill more Taiwanese.

I'll write a bit more on this later, when I'm not so tired, but I think it's safe to say that not much can be done unless Taiwan can attract more international attention and greater pressure can be placed on China.

i agree with the fact that Taiwan needs to have STRONG international relations...of the good kind. it seems America is starting to distance itself from the issues and make less mention about things. Perhaps due to politics here which are a bit of a joke. Japan to me has clearly stated in supreme court it is with china. Thats my impression anyway. In my opinion, the EU is the best option for Taiwan as it is still not too fed up with this country and are willing to play nice with us. In the future i am not so sure.

The government here seems rather corrupt. Not in a Singapore type way, but in a western way. stealing money from places that stole it from another. all i hear on the news is someone is being endited or put in jail for corruption. This, in my opinion, is not playing well for taiwans' international investment/trade.

A strong society is not enough to stay free. Taiwan really needs a focused strong, HONEST government. Both parties are neither. Both steal and one really wants independence the other not so much. the country is kind of split in a political sense.

So how does one compete with a country like china who pays nothing and treats people like dogs (sorry for that gross generalization), while maintaining a free, well fed/cared for society. Is it possible?