Science Forums

Question to all aspiring forensic chemists!

bigOz

In a case study, an area on an adhesive surface of a sticky clear tape was rinsed with chemicals by a forensic scientist looking for heroin and cocaine traces. Cocaine was discovered but no Heroin showed.

10 months later, another scientist rinses the same surface and discovers morphine, narcotine and monoacetylmorphine. The second scientist claims, when heroin is left for 10 years or more, it breaks into monoactylmorphine and morphine. Since the tape in question is older than 10 years, originally, these substances must have been heroin powder stuck on the tape.

Any help or tips on where to find the answers to below would be very much appreciated :eek2:

1. Is it possible to rinse the same surface for heroin twice and discover the above on the second occasion?

2. Does anyone know of any scientific or official records that would show what the life span of organic substances, such as heroin, are.

3. Finally what is the chemical make up of the glue used for clear adhesive tapes, Would it encourage such a break up, or perhaps preserve organic substance instead.

1. Is it possible to rinse the same surface for heroin twice and discover the above on the second occasion?

2. Does anyone know of any scientific or official records that would show what the life span of organic substances, such as heroin, are.

3. Finally what is the chemical make up of the glue used for clear adhesive tapes, Would it encourage such a break up, or perhaps preserve organic substance instead.

1) What products were used to swipe the surface? If it was the exact same surface, and some volatile solution was used in the first swipe, chemicals might be broken down into their constituent elements that will show on the second swipe, screwing with the results.

2) Tried lookin' it up for you, it's a bit of a doozy. I'm sure with a little more digging we can probably rustle something up.

3) Finally, that also depends on the brand of tape you use!

Sorry, I know my answers was 0% helpful, but if we fine-tune it some, we might get somewhere.

Good luck!

Thanks for trying Boerseun! I am grateful, so do not worry if it has the info I asked or not,

The problem is, I am very good with searching for things online, but with all the keyphrases I can think of and search, I could not come accross a single site with a content that would remotely resemle what I am trying to find out. :Exclamati

Never mind, its not the end of the world - but I'll keep an eye on the forum, to make sure I know, if anyone comes up with anything. Thanks again :)