Science Forums

Mayan Tzolkin

Queso

• 4 weeks later...
Check this out

http://www.tortuga.com/eng/get_started/starterkit/11x17_Now_Timer.pdf

the tzolkin was modeled after the turtle shell, and the 13 revolutions the moon makes around the Earth in a year.

This calender is archetypal as the Egyptions and other cultures around the world used it, and not just the Mayan.

More accurately, their tzolkin pictured is modeled on a turtle's carapice, that is, the upper shell. While the number & arrangement of scutes on the carapice varies, this is not the case with the scutes on the plastron, that is, the lower shell.

Indeed, it is on our plastrons that we turtles keep the very best numbers.

There are six laterally symmetric pairs of scutes on the plastron: gular, humeral, pectoral, abdominal, femoral, and anal (going from the head to the tail down the seam).

Plastron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some plastron magic >>> Plastromancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:beer: :) :D :) :) :)

• 1 year later...

the tzolkin was modeled after the turtle shell, and the 13 revolutions the moon makes around the Earth in a year.

Although the Maya venerated the turtle and associated it with one of the day-signs of their calendar, that of Cauac, the 19th sign, they did not model the Cholq'ij calendar on it. This is a myth perpetuated by the Dreamspell cult lead by Jose Arguelles. The real origin of the Cholq'ij is largely unknown, but contemporary maya Ajq'ij, the keepers of the calendar, associate its creation with the human gestation period (260), the fingers and toes (20), and the major joints in the human body (13). It was also used for the early cultivation of maiz and to calculate the transit and synodic cycles of many celestial bodies (but I rely on the direct human relationship in my own understanding; information about the astronomical significance and accuracy of the Cholq'ij are well documented by scholars; google it).

The thing about the 13 revolutions around the moon is not part of the Tzolkin, but rather another part of the Dreamspell invention (13 Moon Calendar). The Cholq'ij is associated with the moon in a way simliar to the female menstruation cycle. It was used to predict when a woman's child would be born considering the day of conception. If the baby is already born, one may calculate 9 signs backward (in the order of the full count) to determine when it was conceived. That tortuga site won't cut it. I can't post links yet, but i shall try it this way: cholqij,proboards102,com

Peace

As far as astronomy and the Mayan calendar are connected, I've done some research on this back in college, 2001. I turned it into a paper for Hypography. Let me know what you think. :naughty:

http://hypography.com/forums/articles/16218-venus-the-dancing-queen.html#post237905

I'd like to stress that there is no proof that I could find at the time of my writing this (2001) that Maya farmers used Venus to help them. I originally proposed this in my draft, but my teacher pushed me to find strong evidence for it. I could not and she recommended I do some math to correlate Venus with climate in Belize. Upon doing so, I realized that it was an unrealistic claim (same goes for my initial belief that I could see Venus's phases with my naked eye...turned out to be atmospheric effects).

I'd be *very* interested in any information regarding this that I may have missed! :eek_big: