Science Forums

Conferences, Symposiums, Field Trips, and Commercial Demonstrations

erich

From the IBI web page:

New Information and Upcoming Events and Conferences

October 5 - 8, 2008: Houston Texas

The 2008 SSSA/CSSA/ASA Annual Meetings will held jointly with the Geological Society of America (GSA). The Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) is holding a session on black carbon/biochar. Click on the following prospectus for more information.

SSSA Session: Black Carbon in Soils and Sediments

March 10, 2008:

Conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels

Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center Washington, DC, March 10, 2008

On March 10, 2008, The Ecological Society of America will host a one-day conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels. 500 attendees will have the opportunity to hear invited presentations by leading scientists on:

- sustainable development and use of biofuels;

- social, bio-geographic, land use, and biodiversity considerations;

- ecological dimensions of alternatives for crop selection and production, harvest and transport of product to refinery, and refining of liquid fuels and other co-products.

Full details, including an agenda, confirmed speakers, and sponsorship opportunities, are available at ESA Meetings > Conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels

The International Biochar Initiative (IBI)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On March 10, 2008, The Ecological Society of America will host a one-day conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels. 500 attendees will have the opportunity to hear invited presentations by leading scientists on:

- sustainable development and use of biofuels;

- social, bio-geographic, land use, and biodiversity considerations;

- ecological dimensions of alternatives for crop selection and production, harvest and transport of product to refinery, and refining of liquid fuels and other co-products.

Full details, including an agenda, confirmed speakers, and sponsorship opportunities, are available at ESA Meetings > Conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels

I so wish I could make it to this. Alas, not this year. I hope to one day be an ESA member.

Thanks for the info!

Are you a GSA member Phillip?

Nope, I'm a SSSA member. I hear SSSA is particularly enthused about meeting with GSA. The two Societies have been engaged in combined efforts for some time. However, it takes special circumstances to bring the memberships together :grouphug: for a joint conference of this size, such as to celebrate the International Year of the Planet.

Nitrous Oxide: Forgotten Greenhouse Gas No Laughing Matter

Submitted by News Account on 19 February 2008 - 6:00am. Atmospheric

Farmers, food suppliers, policy-makers, business leaders and environmentalists are joining forces to confront the threat of the ‘forgotten greenhouse gas’ by taking part in an influential new forum at the University of East Anglia (UEA).

Launched on February 22, the Nitrous Oxide Focus Group will engage with many influential organisations including the National Farmers Union, Marks & Spencer, British Sugar, Defra, the Country Land and Business Association and Unilever.

The group will present and explore cutting edge research into the sources and sinks of nitrous oxide in the environment and discuss the prospects of mitigating the release of this destructive gas through re-shaping current policies and practice.

Nitrous Oxide: Forgotten Greenhouse Gas No Laughing Matter | Scientific Blogging

Carbon Trust issues 2nd generation biofuel challenge

I sure hope Eprida, Dynomotive, BestEnergy and eGenesis JUMP on this Challenge!!

The Pyrolysis Challenge: Request for Expressions of Interest

The Carbon Trust is seeking Expressions of Interest in developing a commercially viable pyrolysis oil upgrading process, through applied research and development. The Trust is planning to make a £5-6m investment to support this project. Full details of the process for submission of an Expression of Interest can be found on the Carbon Trust website. Please contact Dr Robert Trezona on [email protected] if you have any queries. The deadline for applications is 7 April 2008.

Carbon Trust issues 2nd generation biofuel challenge | Carbon Trust

• 3 weeks later...

Biochar Featured at Inverell Community College Forum in OZ

Practical solutions to climate change

CLIMATE change is a hot issue at the moment and a forum to provide information to the community is on in Inverell on March 28.

GWYMAC Landcare has organised the event, which will allow participants to discuss practical solutions to the threat of climate change.

The forum will be divided into three sessions, the first is a general background on climate change, the second solutions on what can be done at home, on the farm and urban design and the final session will focus on emerging opportunities. New England MP Tony Windsor is opening the forum.

Guest speakers include Ken McLeod from The Ethos Foundation who will highlight the challenges faced in the future, Lynette Bourne from the Department of Environment and Climate Change who will give advice on what can be done in the home, Alan Lauder will give a farmer’s point of view on carbon grazing and reducing methane emissions in cattle, climatologist Sarah Hall will cover building sustainable communities, Ben Keogh from Landcare Australia will present CarbonSmart and financial incentives for private landholders, Southern Cross University lecturer Dr Jeff Parr will discuss soil carbon sequestration and agricultural opportunities and Andrew Burnard from the Department of Water and Energy is speaking on biochar, biodiesel and bioenergy.

At the end of the sessions, there will be an open forum involving all the guest speakers.

See:

Practical solutions to climate change - Local - General - Inverell Times

• 5 months later...

Terra Preta Included in New Smithsonian Exhibit on Soils

The new exhibit at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum in Washington DC, "Dig It: The Secrets of Soils" features a monolith of typical Terra Preta soil complete with char layers and pottery shards. IBI Chairman of the Board, Johannes Lehmann, worked with the Smithsonian Museum to ensure that this important example of soil was included in the exhibit. To see more information on Dig It!, visit the website at: Dig It! The Secrets of Soil Exhibition

Field Tours Will Show Biomass Crops Aug. 25 and Aug. 29

Rod Swoboda [email protected]

August 18, 2008

Iowa State University officials will give the public a view of the university's latest research for growing and harvesting biomass crops when it holds field tours west of Ames on August 25 and 29. The tours will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. Aug 25 and 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 29 at the ISU Ag Engineering and Agronomy Research Farm, three miles west of Ames on highway 30.

The tours will include a presentation explaining ISU's plans for the New Century Farm, which is being built at the ISU Ag Engineering and Agronomy Research Farm. The New Century Farm is the first integrated, sustainable biofuel feedstock production farm and processing facility in the nation.

Wallaces Farmer

Hi All,

I asked the IBI for more info about the companies they said they saw demonstrations of in Virginia and West Virginia in their IBI News letter. Yahoo! Groups

Evidently, I never got the call from Dr. Agblevor for his private demonstration. Frankly, I feel unappreciated.

the Virginia one is a fast pyrolysis system designed and patented by Dr. Foster Agblevor of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA. That system was built and tested by Hazen Research, Inc., in Golden, Colorado. They visited the professor and designer of the VA Tech unit, and viewed a new prototype of that unit recently put into operation on a poultry farm in Virginia.

The second technology is a gasification unit developed and in commercial production by Coaltec Energy USA, Inc. ( Coaltec Energy USA, Inc. ), located in Carterville, Illinois. they visited one of their units currently in operation on a 100,000-bird broiler farm in Wardensville, WV. The farm is gasifying 1,000 tons of poultry manure per year, as well as approximately 30,000 bird carcasses (equivalent to a 3% mortality rate), and utilizing the thermal and biogas streams to heat the poultry houses. The owner of the facility has sold the biochar product to a New Jersey farmer for $600 per ton (net value $480 after accounting for $120 in biochar delivery costs).

Crying in my Beer,

Erich

• 3 weeks later...

Ron Larson's New Castle IBI Report:

Biochar list:

This is to fill in a few more holes on what transpired at the Newcastle IBI conference last week (and how to extend its success).

1. The conference agenda found at The International Biochar Initiative (IBI)

was followed pretty closely - only changing to accomodate those who couldn't make the meeting. The agenda at the above site is followed by a description of the four technical areas that covered the first two days. The schedule on Wednesday consisted of two parallel sessions of three topics each. I think it best to answer questions on most of the topics (rather than give my imperfect recollection) - as most of the power points will soon be up at the IBI site. Also there will be about 100 posters. No way I can summarize all this work fairly - but those of us who were there can probably answer questions on most topics of interest to this list. Overall - I thought it was a great conference.

2. I represented a group from Colorado that put in a successful bid to host the next (regional) IBI conference - Likely to be early August, 2009. Consequently, I have been thinking a lot about this last conference's content - and how we might best change the format to best capture the rapid growth of the biochar field. Fortunately, I was able to buy the last available CD, containing the draft (as of August) chapters for the forthcoming biochar book edited by Johannes Lehmann. described at The International Biochar Initiative (IBI)

I haven't finished even skimming it, but I now agree with one of the chapter authors who told me he felt this book was now the state of the art description of biochar. This is an outstanding book - and I now see that much of the Newcastle meeting had the flavor and organization of this book. The Colorado conference planners will try hard to pattern the Boulder conference after this book's organization.

3. To get a better flavor of the book (which I needed for developing the next Conference agenda), I below add a little postscript (in bold) to the listing of chapters as given at the above IBI site. Chapters 16 and 18 were interchanged and one new chapter 20 has been added as follows:

Table of Contents (subject to change):

Preface: Motivation and Acknowledgements

Johannes Lehmann and Stephen Joseph [RWL: These editors obviously did an enormous amount of work.]

Foreword: NN

Tim Flannery (Macquarie University NSW 2109, Australia ) [RWL: Flannery gave a public lecture in Newcastle that was similar to this foreword - mostly on climate issues. Little in the book or the Conference was on the details of climate change - but quite a lot on how biochar fits in.]

Chapter 1 (;): Historical Accumulation and Traditional Use of Biochar in Soil

William Woods (The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA , email: [email protected]) [RWL: This history topic not covered on my CD (and not much at Newcastle). Instead, there is a new Chapter 1 by Lehmann and Joseph - now used as an Intro. This was the only dropped chapter topic that I could find. In Boulder, we might cover history in an evening or lunch hour lecture.]

Chapter 2 (A) : Characteristics of Biochar – Physical and Structural Properties

Adriana Downie (BEST Energies, Somersby, NSW 2250, Australia, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Adriana recruited two more from NSW, Australia. Lots of good introductory detail on char. Later chapters more detailed on specfic char characteristics. 35pp]

Chapter 3 (A): Characteristics of Biochar – Micro-Chemical Properties

Jim Amonette (Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Richland, WA 99352, USA , email: [email protected]) [ Stephen Joseph now also a co-author. 28 pp; many refs and figs. Amonette also on the IBI board.]

Chapter 4 (A): Characteristics of Biochar – Macro-Molecular Properties

Evelyn Krull (CSIRO Land and Water, Glen Osmond, SA 5064, Australia, email: [email protected]) [3 added co-authors (all from Australia). Title change from "Macro-Molecular" to "Organo-Chemical", 20 pp]

Chapter 5 (:girlneener:: Characteristics of Biochar – Nutrient Properties

Yin Chan (New South Wales Department of Primary Industries, Richmond, NSW 2753, Australia, email: [email protected]) [One added co-author (Xu); first of several chapters on why biochar is desired, 28pp]

Chapter 6 (:bouquet:: Characteristics of Biochar – Biological Properties

Janice Thies (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA, email: [email protected]) [RWL: One added author. Continues theme of looking closely at a desired biochar property. 39pp]

Chapter 7 (:magic:: Biochar Classification and Test Methods

Stephen Joseph (University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2251, Australia, email: [email protected]) [RWL: The latest version has three additional co-authors. I have found this chapter to be outstanding - lots of good thought went into the many aspects of biochar - and how to match up needs with char characteristics. I will send a later message on this chapter particularly - which is the basis for my organizing the draft proposed agenda for the Colorado event.]

Chapter 8 (A): Biochar Production Technology

Robert Brown (Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Prof. Brown could not be there - but many of his technology options were of course discussed - especially in posters. Dr. Czernik's opening plenary covered many of the ideas here. I will come back to things that might have been missing here after reading this Chapter more closely. One of the six parallel sessions was on charcoal-making stoves, which only receives brief mention here. The book overall has less on production technologies than did the conference, but this is a good chapter.]

Chapter 9 ©: Biochar Systems

Matthew Warnken ( Warnken ISE, Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia, email: [email protected] ) [RWL: New chapter (30 pp, same title) is by Editors Lehmann and Joseph. Has real costs for a few real systems.]

Chapter 10 (B): Biochar Changes in Soil

Michael Schmidt (University of Zürich, 8057 Zürich, Switzerland, email: [email protected]) [RWL: One added co-author. I had not realized how much biochar changes over time. 17pp]

Chapter 11 (B): Biochar Stability in Soil

Johannes Lehmann (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA, email: [email protected]) [RWL: 3 more co-authors, 35 pp; several proofs that biochar is stable in soil. ]

Chapter 12 (A): Biochar Application to Soil

Paul Blackwell (Department of Agriculture and Food, Geraldton, WA 6530, Australia, email: [email protected]) [RWL: 2 more authors (Aus & NZ); New material to me (and they claim so also), 27pp]

Chapter 13 (B): Biochar effects on gaseous losses of GHG

Lukas van Zwieten (New South Wales Department of Primary Industries, Wollongbar, NSW 2477, Australia, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Now Lukas has 5 more co-authors. This somewhat like Chaps. 5 and 6 as another reason for using biochar. Emphasis on N2O and CH4; 37 pp]

Chapter 14 (B): Biochar effects on soil nutrient transformation

Thomas DeLuca (The Wilderness Society, Bozeman, MT 59715, USA, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Two additional co-authors/ Again a reason for promoting biochar - as in 5,6, and 13. Said to contain much that is new. 27pp]

Chapter 15 (B): Biochar effects on nutrient leaching

Julie Major ( Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA, email: [email protected]) [Three additional co-authors. Again addressing a fifth reason for promoting biochar. 25 pp]

Chapter 16 (now 18) ©: Biochar, Carbon Accounting and Climate Change

Annette Cowie (New South Wales Department of Primary Industries, Beecroft, NSW 2119 email: [email protected]), John Gaunt (GY Associates Ltd, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2DF, UK, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Excellent overview of incentive options. Very similar to one of the Newcastle parallel sessions - where an even wider range of possibilities was offered. Hopefully the parallel sesson notes will be placed on the IBI website. As with every other Chapter, many good references. 37 pp]

Chapter 17 (A): Test procedures for biochar verification in soil

David Manning (The University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK, email: [email protected]) [RWL: one added co-author. Difficulties noted, but they are not insoluble. 21pp]

Chapter 18 (now 16) (B): Biochar and retention of herbicides/pesticides

Ron Smernik (The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Changed title - now "Biochar and sorption of organic compounds"; This is a 6th soil reason for using biochar. 16pp]

Chapter 19 ©: The Economics of Biochar Soil Management

Bruce McCarl (Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843, USA, email: [email protected]) [RWL: 4 more co-authors; noted a relationship to Newcastle conference talk(s). Good economic data and methodology for farms. Conclusion - that $35/tonne CO2 is marginal. 24 pp]

New Chapter 20 topic ©: Socio-economic Assessment and Implementation of Small Scale Biochar Projects; Stephen Joseph [RWL: This chapter quite similar to the Newcastle parallel session on charcoal-making stoves - but goes well beyond that dialog. Almost entirely on developing country issues. 22pp]

Chapter 20 (Now 21) ©: Commercialization of Biochar

Mark Glover (Eco Waste Pty Ltd, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Has some useful cost data from real examples, 22pp]

Chapter 21 (now 22) ©: Policy Opportunities for a Biochar Economy

Peter Read (Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand, email: [email protected]) [RWL: Peter could not be present; his talk at Newcastle, which seemed pretty similar to this chapter, was read by John Gaunt (author of new chapter 18 - which was the only other policy-related chapter). 17pp]

4. I would appreciate feedback on my draft proposal, soon to be given to others on the Colorado planning team, on these basic ideas:

a. The first three 1.5 hour sessions on all three days would respectively cover A. Biochar Production, Placement and Validation, B. Biochar in soil, and C. Biochar Economics and Policy . Above, I have placed an A, B, or C after each of the 22 chapters - giving the following topic lists:

A. Production etal (six chapters): A1 - production (8), application (12), auditing (17); or A2 - non-soil characteristics (2, 3, 4);

B. Soil values (nine chapters) : B1 - Classification (7) and time-changes (10, 11); or B2 - properties (5, 6, 13, 14, 15, 16);

C. Econ./Policy (six chapters): C1. Systems (9, 20, 21); or C2. economics (19 ) and policy (18, 22)

b. I will propose that conference attendees will generally fall into one of these six areas. During the two (Monday and Tuesday) end-of-the-day parallel sessions, participants will always have a choice of two topics within each of the three main areas. Thus a total of 6 parallel session reports will go back to the full group - two at a time on the last day (a Wednesday). I presume/hope that people will stay in the same subgroups, but all should feel free to move as they wish. The purposes of this further six-way subdivision are four fold - to reap the advantages of smaller groups, to allow discussion of topics in depth, to allow a return to the same topic on successive days and to be sure all topics get covered. Book editors Lehmann and Joseph seem to have left nothing uncovered in their chapter topic choices - albeit that my re-ordering may need some further discussion. Anyone see a missing topic?

c. Any positive or negative reactions to this relatively-small proposed "Colorado" modification of the Newcastle agenda format?

Thanks in advance for any reactions.

In sum - I hope my short recap of the book and its organization will prove that we are involved in a very complex technology - with more information already than I thought available and that we have a great new book giving a very positive view on likely progress, while still acknowledging many unknowns. I strongly recommend its purchase and careful reading. Ron

• 2 weeks later...

biochar papers at the ACS Huston meeting : see Ron Larson's post

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar/message/1852

Biochar Studies at ACS Huston meeting;

578-I: Session: Symposium --Black Carbon in Soils and Sediments: I. Classification, Formation, and Occurrence

579-II Session: Symposium --Black Carbon in Soils and Sediments: II. Identification and Characteristics

665 - III. Session: Symposium --Black Carbon in Soils and Sediments: III. Environmental Function

666-IV Session: Symposium --Black Carbon in Soils and Sediments: IV. Stability and Carbon Sequestration Potential

Most all this work corroborates char dynamics we have seen so far . The soil GHG emissions work showing increased CO2 , also speculates that this CO2 has to get through the hungry plants above before becoming a GHG.

The SOM, MYC& Microbes, N2O (soil structure), CH4 , nutrient holding , Nitrogen shock, humic compound conditioning, absorbing of herbicides all pretty much what we expected to hear.

Erich

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is a great opportunity to show off your production and field work.

Erich

[biochar] IBI call for photos

Dear list members,

I am now working for the International Biochar Initiative (IBI) doing

press work and helping develop outreach materials. The IBI will be

going to Poznan, Poland in December to advocate for biochar at the

UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COP) meeting. The IBI will have some

display materials there including several large posters that we will

use to illustrate some of the myriad activities related to biochar

that are taking place around the world.

Please send us your high resolution photos with clear and

understandable captions for possible inclusion in these posters. Here

are the categories that we are looking for:

Field and pot trials - please include all relevant information such as

location, dates, soil types, amendments, biochar characteristics,

plant species, growth measurements, etc...

Production - we are looking for pictures of kilns, pyrolisers,

gasifiers and other char production facilities. Please include

information such as feedstocks, fuel handling, production volume,

operating time, temperatures, co-products, etc...

Thanks very much for your help. Please email the photos to me -

[email protected]. If you wish to mail me a CD with photos, you

can send it to this address:

Kelpie Wilson

PO Box 1444

Cave Junction, OR 97523

• 2 weeks later...

Biochar at Bioneers conference;

Bob Hawkins of Eprida described their carbon-negative fuel system of gasification and biochar (similar to experiments we've described before, but further along with DOE studies and commercialization.) He described making hydrogen out of waste biomass (chicken manure, municipal wastewater, etc.), and making char similar to terra preta which not only sequesters carbon itself, but jump-starts natural soil-building (bacterial & other processes) so much that the carbon you put into the soil ends up being dwarfed by the carbon fixed by microorganisms (your carbon is less than ¼ the carbon you end up with; in fact, Amazonians who live in areas with terra preta soils dig it out and sell it to people, because they know it will grow back.) Hawkins pointed out that if we wanted to use terra preta to sequester all of humanity's excess CO2 emissions (1.9GT/yr), it would take an area about three times the size of Texas (2.2 x 10^8 ha), which I found surprisingly small. This was very encouraging.

WorldChanging: Bioneers 2008

IBI Special Edition Newsletter:

IBI's Activities at the UN Climate Change Conference in Poznan, Poland

December 1 - 12, 2008

IBI is pleased to announce that it will participate in conference activities in Poznan, Poland at the upcoming United Nations Climate Change Conference. The UN Climate Change Conference is the 14th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP 14) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Poznan Poland COP 14 logoDuring the 2 weeks of the conference, an estimated 8,000 people and over 190 government delegations will participate. The UNFCCC is one of the most important environmental agreements to lay down a framework for international actions to address global climate warming. For additional information go to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) website, at: United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change

IBI will present a technology exhibit, rent an office and meeting space providing biochar materials and samples, and host a seminar. This venue offers an excellent opportunity for IBI to showcase the role of biochar in addressing climate change. Highlighted below are IBI's specific activities as well as an opportunity for IBI network members to contribute information. New information and updates will be posted on the IBI website at:

The International Biochar Initiative (IBI)

Biochar Technology Exhibit

The International Biochar Initiative (IBI) and the Biochar Energy Corporation (BEC) are jointly presenting a Biochar Exhibit at the Poznan Exhibition "Technologies for Climate Protection". The exhibition site will be on the grounds of the International Poznan Fair, in Pavilion 5. Look for the joint IBI/BEC Exhibit, which will be on display from 1-14 December. The exhibit will feature BEC's Biochar Batch Production Unit (shown in the photo), BEC Pyrofarmeras well as an information board on biochar production and utilization, to include a description of other biochar production technologies, and other relevant information. We will also be presenting a new film on biochar at the exhibit, featuring Johannes Lehmann and others discussing Terra Preta, biochar production, biochar's beneficial properties in soils, biochar and climate change, as well as the potential for carbon sequestration.

Please plan to come by and view the exhibit, and see the biochar information boards and the film!

Visit the Technologies for Climate Protection Exhibition homepage here.

IBI Office and Meeting Space

The International Biochar Initiative (IBI) and the Biochar Energy Corporation (BEC) are jointly renting an office and meeting space at the Poznan Technology Exhibit in Exhibition Hall 5, first floor. Look for the IBI logo outside our office. We will have biochar materials to hand out, technical information, a video display, and biochar samples.

IBI Personnel in Poznan, Poland:

Please come by and say hello to the IBI staff staffing the IBI Office and Meeting Space at the Poznan Technology Exhibit in Exhibition Hall 5:

Johannes Lehmann

Chairman of the Board

International Biochar Initiative

Debbie Reed

Executive Director, Policy Director

International Biochar Initiative

IBI Side Event/Seminar

IBI is also hosting a seminar on biochar during the UNFCCC meeting. The seminar, scheduled from 4:00-4:50 pm on Friday, December 5, is entitled: "Biochar: A Carbon-Negative Technology to Combat Climate Change and Enhance Global Soil Resources". The seminar will be held in the Discussion and Banquet Room at the Poznan Technology Exhibition hall 5.

How IBI Network Members can Participate

Materials

IBI would like to invite its network members to submit printed information (brochures or pamphlets or similar items) on their organization, projects, technologies, policies and other relevant topics to be displayed in the IBI Office and Meeting Space during the Poznan Conference. However, all interested parties must arrange delivery of their materials to the site, and IBI cannot be responsible for the delivery (or return) of these materials. IBI will not return these materials after the conference. IBI will display printed materials on a tabletop or on shelving in the IBI office, and may make materials available as handouts, if desired. For more information on submitting materials, and to receive a list of forwarding services identified by the Polish government for sending materials to the site, please email Thayer Tomlinson at [email protected] with the subject line "Materials for Poznan".

Photos

IBI is developing a number of printed materials for the conference and is updating the IBI website and would like to include photos of projects, technologies, field trials, and biochar. If you have photos you would like to contribute, please send them with explanations of the subject and photo credit information to Kelpie Wilson at [email protected] with the subject line "Biochar Photos". Photos for Poznan need to be submitted by Nov 1, 2008. IBI will be assembling a photo database with these images and will use them on the IBI website as well. Please send the highest resolution possible.