Science Forums

Maybe the universe isnt as big as it looks...?

jizum3434

I believe that I have figured out an equation for G using these five constants that is balanced and dimensionless. Who in your staff should I correspond with concerning this topic. Thank You for your help

This is a discussion forum - the best way to learn around here is to post a new topic and simply ask. Try to be as specific as possible. Then others can join in and learn as well.

No, this is a misconception. The BB is not a "place" but an event. We are as close the the BB as every other place in our universe.
I wasn't referreing to a place. Some stars older than ours? and some younge. I understand that the universe is not like the iside of a globe and time came into existance with the BB. We can still locate ouselves in time ans space relative to it. The further away from us we go by telescope, the older stars we see. right? That's because we are looking back in time. right? So time and distance are coordinates for our position in the universe.

I wasn't referreing to a place. Some stars older than ours? and some younge. I understand that the universe is not like the iside of a globe and time came into existance with the BB. We can still locate ouselves in time ans space relative to it. The further away from us we go by telescope, the older stars we see. right? That's because we are looking back in time. right? So time and distance are coordinates for our position in the universe.

This age phenomenon is the same in all directions. Some of the stars we see, that are billions of light years away, stopped burning a long time ago.

The universe is expanding but not FROM somewhere INTO somewhere.

We can say "we live 13,7 billion years after the BB" and thus provide some sort of time dimension but this is rather useless. Everything that exists in the universe today exists 13,7 billion years after the Big Bang (or whatever age we want to put into that number).

We cannot, however, give a relative spatial location because the entire universe we live in was formed during the BB. So here and the farthest away star you can possibly image was once pure energy in the same soup. We have not moved "away" from the big bang.

Did time start with the BB?

Something fairly definitive certainly happened about 14 billion years ago, but the universe might just be older, perhaps even a lot older.

There is good reason to suspect that the universe could never contain the matter it now does as a point source. The matter/antimater imbalance suggests that the matter was injected as matter, and not energy. A massive quantity of energy can exist as a single quanta, and thus exist as a point source, but matter requires volume. Perhaps the universe was smaller, but not infinitely so. It may have had an existence, even a history before the BB. Just because matter was injected into the universe at that time, it does not follow that ALL the matter arrived then. Possibly the universe was just reconditioned. The last burned out relics of previous BB's might be out there!

Too much has been made of the fact that the matter from the BB was (apparently) spread evenly throughout the universe. This does suggest the universe was a point source at the time, but from what perspective? If the matter arrived from elsewhere, does that elsewhere have to share the universe's dimensions of space? If it did not then the universe would, at least in the spatial dimensions we know, appear as a dot. Matter would arrive without any defined location. Some sort of even distribution would be inevitable.

Did time start with the BB?

That is fairly impossible to answer but I think it would be reasonable to say that time in our universe started with the BB. Even if our universe turns out to be a bubble within a larger universe, our universe has properties which makes us different that that universe and as such there was no "before BB" for our universe. On a multiverse scale there may have been a time before ours.

The matter/antimater imbalance suggests that the matter was injected as matter, and not energy.

I think we discussed this before, no? Current theory explains fairly well how the tiny imbalance in matter over antimatter resulted in the matter we have today. But this is of course speculation.

The "injection" idea begs the questions: Who, what, where, when.

Too much has been made of the fact that the matter from the BB was (apparently) spread evenly throughout the universe.

What do you mean by "too much has been made of the fact"? :)

That is fairly impossible to answer but I think it would be reasonable to say that time in our universe started with the BB.

Reasonable, but not necessarily correct.

I think we discussed this before,Current theory explains fairly well how the tiny imbalance in matter over antimatter resulted in the matter we have today. But this is of course speculation..

Current theory is a little bit dodgy at this point. The experimental evidence point to a natural law. Matter and Antimatter are created from energy in exactly equal quantities. It is true that there is a limit to the accuracy of experiments We could carry on this game forever. If the balance is proved with 10 times, a hundred times, a billion times more accuracy it will never constitute proof - a slight imbalance is still possible, but at what point does it cease to be plausible? To me that point has already come. There is no evidence for this imbalance.

The "injection" idea begs the questions: Who, what, where, when.

Who: I will get back to you on that one. I need to confirm, and God's phone is engaged.

What: Options here:

a) An injection of mass- mostly hydrogen from another universe. Maybe that universe collapsed, and the matter just had to go somewhere.

:) our universe reacted with another universe. Perhaps they hit each other, or equalised some sort of charge. The result was energy expressed as matter - the other universe got the antimatter.

c) Our universe is, on some other level of reality, a quantum particle. The influx of matter was some sort of quantum interaction. It absorbed some equivalent of a photon perhaps (with a matter flavour?).

Where: Working on the theory that our universe's spatial dimensions are not shared with "the outside" then, from our point of view, everywhere. In that case there just aint any way for external forces to differentiate between internal locations.

When: approximately 14 billion years ago. This is an internal time. It may be meaningless externally. Perhaps there is some sort of quantum effect here too. Maybe it is just that the influx had to be at some time, but the actual time was a matter of random luck.

What do you mean by "too much has been made of the fact"? :)

The evidence is for the BB having no centre. If so it must have happened at all points in our universe at the same time. The assumption is that co-ordination would be impossible, or at least implausible, if all points were not the same point. I can only agree - but all points only have to be the same point from the point of view of the source of the matter. The lack of a centre limits possibilities less that has been assumed.

This age phenomenon is the same in all directions. Some of the stars we see, that are billions of light years away, stopped burning a long time ago.

And further, if there is "someone" on a planet near one of these other stars, they see our light as it was as long ago as we see their's.

The further away from us we go by telescope, the older stars we see. right? That's because we are looking back in time. right? So time and distance are coordinates for our position in the universe.

As such, no. Time/ distance from the BB is the same for everywhere in the universe at any specific point in time. And I guess technically the only thing that has changed/ moved is TIME, our location IS where the BB happened. It has just spread across more "space".

Just because matter was injected into the universe at that time,

BIG problem with this concept. Where did the matter come from if it was "injected into (our) universe"?

To claim that NEW matter was injected into an existing universe requires that the matter already existed elsewhere. While the BB explains WHERE matter came from (energy). Thus removing this major problem.

The bb occurred as a small h atom 1 electron a very small burst of energy that evolved forming different arrangements of charges so unique they attract other formations which beat another via a faster route etc. Not a large explosion occurin suddenly. It began quite simply according to documentation i have read...but form a variety of matter very unique bonds increasing the uniqueness.

The web site we are interacting on is so unique from all others, all other tech for that matter but are created just as simply as the universe... 0'a and 1's...on and off...electrical charge or none...increasing uniqueness but derivied quite simply.

Our bodies our so very unique and we are such because of simple code...formed and arranged so very different allowing over time complexity.

Everything that perplexes me was brought about so very simply..energy arrangements...everything...as unique as it may be began so simply.

I used to ask my dad all sorts of questions like the things discussed on this forum...he always told me, "Don't think about things like that, you'll go crazy!!" I am totally perplexed about the statement...maybe the universe isn't as big as we think it is! but it doesn't drive me crazy, it actually inspires me!! It's so big,, so complex, and we are a part of it! I LOVE IT and I feel comfort in it! :)

i had come across a read that it could be in the shape of a torus (like a doughnut with a singularity at its centre). And so whatever comes from the singularity goes back to it on and on. Anyone know?

I find this question very interesting. For particular parameters a torus could be the shape

of the universe. Locally it would be as some kind of saddle surface. With the current age

of the universe though to be about 14.2 billion years ago. Were this inner loop (outside to

inside of the torus) to be bigger than 14.2 billion light years we couldn't tell much from

what we got by looking at star light alone. However, a direct study of quasars and other

hypergiant stars have been studied to determine universal and galactic supercluster

structure. The results at all scale that we can determine at the moment has any radius of

curvature of the universe to high order be nearly 1.00. This means VERY Flat! If flat in

all direction, then it is not a saddle surface (or torus).

Better yet, how would such a (Big) Bang create a torus anyway ? It is a good question

though.

Maddog