Science Forums

Chimpanzees making and using spears

ughaibu

I read about this on Yahoo news. I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time. They're very clever, innovative, and quick at learning. The leap from getting termites and ants out with a stick or leaf and hurting a bushbaby with a "spear" may not be that big.

But I'm still waiting for them to spontaneously produce some works of Shakespeare by tapping on typewriters. Any hope of that?

hmm seems a little suss, while they say "chimps where observed jabbing the spears into hollow trunks or branches, over and over again." on 13 occasions, they have no photos/video of this happening - why wouldnt they?
Good point Jay-qu, but then again, the world is just full of wonders. I suspect we should now be awaiting the Chimpanzee industrial revolution. Why......, they may be on the verge of manufacturing their own M-16's before you know it.

Planet of the Apes.......................................Infy

It doesn't surprise me, mainly because the idea that monkeys in Africa adapted to ground conditions is nothing new.

If you ever see a video/photo showing chimps scampering around on the ground, you can immediately presume that they are soemwhere in Africa, because this is how they evolved. As mentioned in the article, using spears is just an extension of this.