Science Forums

Science Fair...

tmaromine

Well, school science fair is coming up, and since I'm in Honours, I have to do it. I want to get an idea before the first of March, for my teacher gave me/us a schedule we could follow, starting on the first and working till the thirteenth, and – even though I could probably do one in a few days, I'd like to get it going, and also because I will be gone the fourth to seventh anyway at the capital.

I searched Hypography some, but didn't find much actually on science fair projects or recommendations. I have to use the scientific method, too, of course. Personally, I'd like to do something relating to astronomy or physics, but it has to be in my league (eg: ~8/9th grade, maybe...).

Doing something with stars could be interesting, but I can't depend on clear skies, and then I would probably have to worry about figuring out which star is which by longitude and latitude, et cetera... And I've not a clue on anything in physics really. I wouldn't mind teaching myself something new, that is more high school level... If I could understand it.

I found this, but I don't know... Between the possibility of catching something on fire, and how would I apply the scientific method to that ? Hypothesise what it will turn out to and how it'll work out in the end before creating it, then creating it and monitoring it ?... The scientific method applies to everything, but I seem to have a problem with applying it to everything. :hihi:

So any ideas from an HPers ? Or even an informful site on topics for science fairs ?

I'd love to do something great, but what, besides building a rocket or creating nuclear fusion ? :doh::highfive:

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago I finally got – I hope – a 'good' thought of what to do.

I've much interest in languages, and since I can't meet twenty different foreigners to test their communication between each other and I, and how correct non-natives might be, I got the idea to see how correct online translaters can be.

I'd hypothesise that they are overall good enough to use, but nothing near perfect, or something so. Then I'd write a paragraph or something, translate it with verious online translators, try translating it myself, then ask a language-forum's members to help me check it/correctly translate. This could be used with the scientific method, and can be considered a science project, right ? :shrug: :confused: It's not how Earth became, but unless it's social study-like, I presume it can be ? Don't refute me, please ! :eek2: ;) . . .

Seems like a good idea. I could provide French and German translations, but also Dutch (which is quite close to German). And next you could ask someone else to translate it back - or even make a circle : English into French, French into German, German into..., and also trying to go through the same circle the other way around.

It must also be possible to find official translations for the same text (ex. the declaration of the rights of men) in different languages, and then ask someone to translate them back in English (you might try your own language teachers).

:shrug: I also was able to ask my Science teacher yesterday, and she said it was a good idea to, if I somewhat base it on the accuracy of online translators. So I figure I'll make up or write a paragraph that doesn't have relatively hard grammar, but is just English. . .that would mean my source language would be all English ; it probably is better to use something that is officially translated in other languages so I can go from, say, correct English to online-translated German, and correct German to online-translated English.

Thanks for the ideas, and I am sure I will contact you this weekend. :(

We have members from various countries and who speak various languages here. Let's know if we can help. :)

Thanks, I figured that. :) Though I already did it... and I think it'd've been better had I translated it, then given the online-incorrect translation to someone here or somewhere else on forums that knows the language, and had them correct it. It's due tomorrow, and I've the display made, so it's too late now... :esad: