Science Forums

Frogs are amazing

Michaelangelica

Got a fair plague of frogs around my farm at the moment (SE-QLD) Seems every thing I pick up around the padock has a frog under it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the local crows becoming adept at eating cane toads? Toad carcases every-where.

you are so lucky.

a bit of rain lately so have heard some tree frogs and other "croaks"

The council has 'Rounduped' everything not "neat" in the area.

Pesticides and fertilizers team up to kill frogs

by Cat Lincoln

Nov 7th 2008 @ 6:26PM

deformed frogs[/center]

For years frog populations have been dwindling. The sight of badly deformed frogs has gotten so common that it's not even shocking any more, even though it's still sad.

Because they act as a sort of early warning system for humans, scientists have been actively studying these poor frogs in the wild. Now they've found a link between a specific pesticide, atrazine, and a parasite that weakens frogs' immune system and often kills them.

To make it even worse, they found that phosphate fertilizers interact with atrazine to applify the effect on the parasites.

Pesticides and fertilizers team up to kill frogs - Green Daily

Does anyone have info on the Crows eating Cane toads? I think crows are the next emerging intelligence on this planet. Has the predation by Crows had any effect on the Cane Toad population?

I have heard about some birds turning the toads over and eating them avoiding the poison gland.

I doubt if their predations are significant.

At the moment the real fear is of Cane Toads getting in to Kakadu National Park. A very special part of the planet. There are no native toads at all in Australia.

Someone on the permaculture list sent me these articles. I find them shocking too.

What's Killing Frogs in Cairns?

Although Cairns is located in a tropical climate and is not far from World Heritage protected rainforests, Cairns itself is rather inhospitable to amphibians. While there are isolated pockets where frogs can still do well (for example, some streets backing onto bush and much of Division One south of Gordonvale), overall, frogs in Cairns are going 'down the tubes'. There are so many reasons why which are listed below:

* habitat loss for development, particularly medium and high density residential

* modified habitats, particularly the undergrounding and cementing of creeks to create run-off drains

* so-called 'hazard reduction burning' and deliberate arson of parks, reserves and surrounding hillslopes

* a large population of introduced predatory animals (dogs and cats)

* insufficient permanent, clean freshwater sources

* disease which is being aggravated by environmental stress

* the use of pesticides and herbicides, especially near and in waterways

* climate change and drought

* road kills

* household accidents such as being squashed in windows, doors, clothes hoists, awnings

* being sprayed with Dettol and other chemicals intended for cane toads

* lacerations from backyard gardening equipment such as whipper-snippers and hedge trimmers

We have even had frogs turned in to us for care that were tortured and attacked with sticks by school children and burned by adults who threw caustic chemicals on them to get rid of them. Occasionally, we will receive a call from someone of Aboriginal or Islander background to remove the frogs from their property before they take the matter into their own hands.

Threats to Frogs in Cairns

We Won't Be Able to Save Frogs Unless We Address 'the Bigger Picture'

What kind of world do you want to live in?

Many people hope for their own home with a secure fence around it and a car in the driveway. .

Frogs and the 'Bigger Picture'

Global warming helps frogs

Perhaps in those areas where it actually does get warmer than 35C,and kills the Chytrid fungus. However not in new desert areas and where there is sudden changes in their environment, vegetation and weather.

What YOU can do about chytrid

http://www.fdrproject.org.au/pages/disease/CHYtreat.htm

How Would You Know it's Chytrid?

http://www.fdrproject.org.au/pages/disease/CHYrecog.htm

• 2 weeks later...
JAKARTA ~ The discovery of a rare species of Indonesian frog that breathes without lungs could shed light on how evolution works, a scientist has said.

. . .Only three other amphibians - two species of salamander and a worm-like creature called a caecilian - are known to have evolved to breath without lungs.

Blog Archive Lungless Indonesian Frog Could Shed Light on Evolution

Good frog blog

Frog Blog

I would expect no less froggy

What type of froggy are you?

A unadulterated, commercial plug--against all the rules

From my inbox today:-

Dear SAVE THE FROGS! Supporter,

I am very happy to announce that the official SAVE THE FROGS! 2009 Wall Calendars are now available in our Cafepress store:

SAVE THE FROGS! - Gifts for Frog Lovers

The calendars look absolutely fantastic, and feature thirteen of the best frog photographs I have ever taken. As always, all proceeds benefit SAVE THE FROGS! amphibian conservation efforts, so please show your support and spread the word.

Thanks to SAVE THE FROGS! Volunteer Carrie Beth Swisher for donating her time and graphic design expertise to put this calendar together!

Take care,

Kerry

Dr. Kerry Kriger

SAVE THE FROGS! Nonprofit Organization

Founder, Executive Director & Ecologist

SAVE THE FROGS!

Kerry Kriger

• 3 weeks later...

A great little documentary on ABC TV tonight about the endangered, beautiful Green and Golden Bell-Frog

It seems to have survived in some coastal, slightly-salty ponds because chytrid fungus cannot survive in salty water.

Well worth watching

Still Croaking

8:00pm Thursday, 01 Jan 2009 Documentary Repeat CC G

The heartening story of a housing developer that spent $1 million to conserve the green and golden bell frog on a property at Woonona, 80 km south of Sydney.

DVD may be available soon?

It would be great for young school kids to see what can be done to protect our environmental heritage.

Program Sales Worldwide - ABC Content Sales

• 3 weeks later...

A billion frogs on world's plates

How amphibians are harvested around the world

Up to one billion frogs are taken from the wild for human consumption each year, according to a new study.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7845306.stm

If that is true it is a crime.

Frogs taste little different to chicken and are in dire straits of extinction with the chytrid frog fungus annihilating them.

Eat chicken legs!

• 2 weeks later...

:eek_big: :) Ten new species of amphibian discovered in Colombia - Telegraph

A spiky orange rain frog and three poison frogs are among 10 new species of amphibian discovered in Colombia, scientists have revealed.

The creatures thought to be new to science also include three types of "glass frog", which get their names from the fact that their skin is so thin that internal organs can show through it.

A new harlequin frog, another species of rain frog and a salamander have also all been found. ...

Transparent Frogs Discovered in Colombia

Scientists from Conservation International and the Ecotropia Foundation have discovered ten new amphibian species.

Their discoveries took place in a mountainous area near Panama called Tacarcuna. The newly identified species include three transparent, or ‘glass’ frogs, three poison dart frogs, and one frog with spiky skin and orange legs.

Glass frogs have a partly transparent skin which makes some of their internal organs visible.

Frogs with this type of smooth, absorbent skin are seen by some as indicators of ecological health because they are very sensitive to toxins.

They live mainly in forests, except during the breeding season.

Transparent Frogs Discovered in Colombia : EcoWorldly

• 2 weeks later...

FROGS! 1st Annual Frog Art Contest !!!

Frog Art Contest | Cash Prizes

When is the entry deadline?

All entries are to be either digitally submitted or postmarked no later than 11:59pm U.S. Eastern Time on Monday, May 4th, 2009. (That's the Monday after Save The Frogs Day)

The Grand Prize Winner will:

(1) Receive a check for 50% of the jackpot;

(2) Receive three 100% organic cotton t-shirts featuring their design, which will grace t-shirts that will be available in the Gift Center;

(3) Receive a free Frogs of Australia poster signed by its photographer/designer, SAVE THE FROGS! Founder and Executive Director Dr. Kerry Kriger;

(4) Become an official judge of the SAVE THE FROGS! 2nd Annual Frog Art Contest.

(5) See their winning artwork placed at the top of our Artists for Frogs page, and at the top our Artists for Frogs list with links to their personal, school, organisation or professional website for the duration of their reign (until the 2010 contest winner is announced).

The Jackpot

Frog Art by Noe RamirezWill you help fund the jackpot? A high jackpot will make word of this contest spread far and wide, meaning more artists helping SAVE THE FROGS!, and higher quality artwork. It will also draw more visitors to the savethefrogs.com website, which means more donations in our Gift Center (our primary source of revenue) and more people learning about the amphibian extinction crisis. Anything you can donate to the jackpot is greatly appreciated! Remember it's free to enter the contest, so even $5 helps out!

More detail at

Frog Art Contest | Cash Prizes

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In an effort to raise awareness of the plight of amphibians, I will be lecturing on the amphibian extinction crisis nationwide this spring and summer:

Frog Related Events | Educational

In this PowerPoint presentation I will discuss the primary threats to amphibians and discuss the necessary actions that must occur in order to prevent further population declines and extinctions.

The presentation features many of my photos of amphibians from around the world, and there will be a question and answer session following each talk.

Dates:

April 4th: Andover, MA - Phillips Academy

April 5th: Boston, MA - Museum of Science

April 5th: Weymouth, MA - New England Herpetological Society

April 6th: Washington, DC - National Geographic Society

April 8th: Annandale, VA - Northern Virginia Community College

April 19th: Vancouver, WA - Water Resources Education Center

April 22nd: Portland, OR - Northwest Environmental Defense Center

April 22nd: Portland, OR - Portland Audubon Society

April 28th: Charlottesville, VA – Ivy Creek Natural Area (Save The Frogs Day)

April 30th: Ruckersville, VA – Cub Scout Pack

May 12th: Washington, DC – Defenders of Wildlife Headquarters

May 23rd: Fairfax, VA - Fairfax Master Naturalists

July 12th: Yellowstone National Park, WY - Mammoth Hotel

July 13th: Gardiner, MT - Yellowstone Association Education Center

July 14th: Yellowstone National Park, WY - Old Faithful Inn

Additional dates will soon be announced for Colorado, California, Washington State & British Columbia.

Virtually all of these lectures are FREE & open to the public.

Event details can be found at:

These lectures can only happen with your financial support!

You can support our work and help us spread the word by ordering SAVE THE FROGS! wristbands, posters, t-shirts or bumper stickers at:

Frog Posters | T-shirts | Bumper Stickers | Gifts

Or by placing a secure online donation at:

Donate to SAVE THE FROGS! | Nonprofit | Environmental Charity

Thanks, and please forward this email to your friends!

Kerry

Dr. Kerry Kriger

SAVE THE FROGS! Nonprofit Organization

Founder, Executive Director & Ecologist

SAVE THE FROGS!

Kerry Kriger

kerry@savethefrogs.

• 1 month later...

The WA Museum also has announced the discovery of two new species of frog species in the Kimberley region.

The first is called the Tiny Toadlet (Uperoleia micra), which is a 2cm-long inhabitant of the Prince Regent River and described as extremely shy. Toadlets are not true toads.

The second species, the Kimberley Froglet (Crinia fimbriata), was found on the Mitchell Plateau. About 2cm long, it has a blue and red background colour and covered with tiny white dots similar to those seen in Aboriginal paintings.

WA Museum herpetologist, who was involved in the lizard study, said many of the frog species in the Kimberley had evolved in isolation for millions of years.

Scientists expect to find more species, he said.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/features/20091505-19126.html

In an effort to raise awareness of the plight of amphibians, I will be lecturing on the amphibian extinction crisis nationwide this spring and summer:

In this PowerPoint presentation I will discuss the primary threats to amphibians and discuss the necessary actions that must occur in order to prevent further population declines and extinctions.

April 19th: Vancouver, WA - Water Resources Education Center

Additional dates will soon be announced for Colorado, California, Washington State ...

Don't know how I missed this detail Michael, but clearly I'm a month late and a tadpole short. :doh: Missed a free lecture in my own village!! :doh: Good grief! :doh: :doh: :agree: Next time rattle my cage mate. :agree:

On another froggy note, :rockon:, I am keeping my eyes on the snow levels as I intend to try again this year to get to the mountain stream where I saw the tadpoles of rare tailed-frogs some decade ago. :rockon: I think it's post #8 here that I first discussed them. :clue: