Science Forums

Frogs are amazing

Michaelangelica

I had a dream seven frogs visited me.

One red, one orange, one yellow, one green, one azul, one indigo, and one white.

They all had black markings.

They looked like a cross between the poison arrow, and the Bufo.

I was careful not to touch them because of the DMT and Bufotenine in their venom.

but I couldn't help it, and I started tripping in my dream.

Some frogs would become invisible, the others were always playing games with me.

They never spoke a word. They were friendly. They gave me amazing dream feelings and they took me to a dream beach where everything shifted.

Frogs are indeed amazing.

You need

to buy shares in :dust:"Shaman Pharmaceuticals" :turtle:

Shaman Pharmaceuticals: Integrating Indigenous Knowledge

O NO ITS GONE BUST (!!!)

Drowning in the Magic Well: Shaman Pharmaceuticals and the Elusive Value of Traditional Knowledge

Drowning in the Magic Well: Shaman Pharmaceuticals and the Elusive Value of Traditional Knowledge -- Clapp and Crook 11 (1): 79 -- The Journal of Environment & Development

After spending more than $90 million in 10 years, Shaman Pharmaceuticals quit the drug business this week in a desperate bid to reinvent itself in the more loosely regulated field of herbal remedies.

Shaman, which is in South San Francisco, had built its reputation on its unusual approach to drug development: It scoured the rain forest to seek new drugs from common folk remedies and promised to share some profits with the native people who found the herbs.

Shaman Quits The Drug Business

News

A cure for the amphibian plague?

Tuesday, 30 October 2007

by Kim Griggs

Comos Online

A cure for the amphibian plague?

Back from the brink: Archey's frogs develop in a gelatinous capsule and skip the tadpole stage, here the young frogs are carried on their father's back. The University of Otago team developed the chytrid treatment in an effort to protect the species.

Image: NZFROG/Rod Morris

WELLINGTON: A New Zealand team has successfully used a human eye ointment to cure frogs of the chytrid skin fungus that is devastating global amphibian populations.

With around half of the world’s amphibian species now endangered from a mix of the disease, climate change and habitat destruction, the breakthrough may offer a ray of hope to conservation biologists.

Developed at the University of Otago, in Dunedin, the treatment uses chloramphenicol, an antibiotic eye ointment. It is, “the best in the world,” for treating afflicted amphibians commented Rick Speare an expert on the fungus at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia.

A cure for the amphibian plague? | COSMOS magazine

• 1 month later...

Australian Giant Water Holding Frog

Ecopix.net environmental stock library - Wildlife (reptiles, amphibians)

(More frog pics. at above site)

Giant frog surfaces after years underground

* Map: Brewarrina 2839

Summer rains have prompted an unusual frog to surface near Brewarrina in northern New South Wales - the furthest south it has ever been found in the state.

A senior ranger with the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, Daniel Trudgen, says the giant water holding frog spends up to a year underground, before surfacing during the wet to eat and breed.

But Mr Trudgen says the drought has forced the frogs underground for some years.

"It fills up with water - it's got a big bladder - then as it dries up, it burrows underground," he said.

"It actually uses skin that moults off its body when it is underground to form a protective cocoon around its body to trap the water.

"Then it sits up underground for maybe a couple of years, depending on how dry it is. Then the next heavy rain, it burrows out and goes through the process all over again."

He says the find at the Narran Lake Nature Reserve is encouraging.

"It's good in the fact that these guys have survived, because it has been very dry, as everyone knows," he said.

"It's good to know that these sort of animals have survived this extended dry period and with these summer rains, they are coming out, they are still healthy and going about their business."

Giant frog surfaces after years underground - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

• 5 weeks later...
Living Planet | 11.01.2008 | 00:30

Frog Protection Needs to Become International Focus, but Just How?

Scientists say in 20-30 years the amphibic life form as a whole is in danger of becoming extinct.

2008 has been declared the Year of the Frog. Half of the world's frogs are threatened with extinction. But how do you raise public awareness for un-cuddly amphibians?

The World Conservation Union estimates that at least one-third of known amphibian species are threatened with extinction, and up to one half of all frogs! In the past, the loss and degradation of habitat were regarded as the main culprits. Scientists today, however, view a highly infectious fungal disease as the main threat to amphibians. Chytridiomycosis or "chytrid" is causing the extinction of populations and whole species at an alarming rate. Which is why the World Conservation Union has declared 2008 to be the year of the frog. The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums is also highlighting the Year of the Frog, with a view to engaging the public in amphibian conservation and raising awareness and funds for protection measures around the globe. Living Planet visits the aquarium in the German capital, Berlin, the home of Knut, the famous polar bear. Are the Berliners as interested in the plight of the less cuddly, more slippery, web-footed creatures of the world?

Reporter: Leah McDonnell

Frog Protection Needs to Become International Focus, but Just How? | Living Planet | Deutsche Welle | 09.01.2008

• 1 month later...
Aye, it's hard to compete with the charismatic megafauna. :(

"Aye"?

You joined the Pirates?

:hyper: :) :)

They seem to get the frog/toad terminology mixed but whatever it was it was big

A frog the size of a bowling ball, with heavy armour and teeth, lived among dinosaurs millions of years ago.

It was intimidating enough that scientists who unearthed its fossils dubbed the beast Beelzebufo, or Devil Toad.

This artist's illustration shows the gigantic ancient frog Beelzebufo ampigna face-to-face with a modern frog, with a pencil added for scale.

Photo: Reuters

But its size - 4.54kg and 40.64cm long - is not the only curiosity.

Menacing 'devil toad' fossils unearthed - Science - Specials - smh.com.au

AND THEN THEY DIED

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Mystery of German exploding toads

Toads in an area of northern Germany are being killed off by a mysterious disease - they are exploding.

"You see the animals crawling on the ground, swelling and then exploding," German conservationist Werner Smolnik told AFP news agency.

The bodies of the toads expanded to three and a half times their normal size, he said.

"I have never seen such a thing," AFP quotes veterinarian Otto Horst as saying. The site - which has been dubbed "the pond of death" - has been closed to the public.

Exploding toad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does L.Ron Hubbard have anything to say about crows pecking out their livers?

Hungry birds may be behind exploding toads - Science - MSNBC.com

The crows are clever,” said Frank Mutschmann, a Berlin veterinarian who collected and tested specimens at the Hamburg pond. “They learn quickly from watching other crows how to get the livers.”

Based on the wounds, Mutschmann said, it appears that a bird pecks into the toad with its beak between the amphibian’s chest and abdominal cavity, and the toad puffs itself up as a natural defense mechanism.

But, because the liver is missing and there’s a hole in the toad’s body, the blood vessels and lungs burst and the other organs ooze out, he said.

As gruesome as it sounds, it isn’t actually that unusual, he said.

Are we having a bad week, Now?

Buffy

He was.

February 29, 2008—Valerie Clark does a "taste and toxicity test" on a green mantella frog at a mango plantation in northern Madagascar in December 2007.

The U.S. biologist, who studies the evolution of frogs' chemical defenses, often can't wait to get to the lab to do her research—so she relies on her tongue instead. (Read full story.)

"I don't recommend this," she cautioned, "because if you lick the wrong frog it can be very bad."

Her methods may be unconventional, but her research comes at a critical time—many frog species are in decline worldwide, victims of habitat destruction and a deadly fungus called chytrid. (Related news: "Frog Extinctions Linked to Global Warming" [January 12, 2006].)

The World Conservation Union estimates that a third of all amphibian species are currently threatened with extinction.

OK It's year of the frog

If you look at this thread you will find ways of keeping the virus out of frog ponds

There are virtually no frogs around compared with when i was a kid.

Tadpoles used to fill every little bit of water.

The Cheapest pond

A BIG plastic pot

I get mine free from a recycling nursery

DIY plug the holes

Dig an appropriate sized pit and put the pot in.

Landscape the pot with rocks lichen etc to keep the wife happy

Go find some frog spawn

(The hard part) :cheer: