Science Forums

Anybody need a Gmail account?

Tormod

Geez, T, such a stickler for protocol!!!

*I* will gladly hand out free g-mail invites...all you have to do is edit your FORUM profile to include your name, current e-mail address and country of origin and make it visible (so I can see the info to send your invite) - AND - get your post counter up to 10 posts or more. Once you've done that, I'll e-mail you with a gmail invite. Trust me, you'll love gmail. It's incredible!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder why there is so much interest in this gmail thing. I find it not only not of interest, but counter to what e-mail is all about. Here are a few of the issues I have after a simple visit to the site.

Keep all e-mail for ever. - Most of my e-mail, even that that is not spam, is either of little interest or has time specific info that will be of no value shortly after I get it.

This is also an excellent target for Governmental intrusions. There is little doubt that Governmental monitoring of e-mails will increase and without our being aware. Providing a single massive source for a one location reseourcec for storage of EVERYTHING is not a good idea for the protection of personal freedoms.

1G of space. - Since most of the garbage mail is the html stuff, the most spacve is taken up by the least valuable e-mails. This will increase in size exponentially, esp if senders see that size is no issue. This willa ctually promote excessively large e-mails.

relevant text ads and links to related pages - In order to do this, Google HAS TO READ your e-mails and do data mining of them. Do you really want one massive location having that much info on you and your personal interests, discussions? And their clients to reap benefits from this data mining source?

This also menas that spam that gets thru (And it will) will not only BE ads, but will have additional ads attached to it. E-mail that is not spam will now havve ads and links. Ya that's desirable!

Gmail takes this one step further by not allowing executable files to be sent or received. - Suddenly I can't send a friend an executable if I want to?

Add to this that gmail is a web based interface. You MUST be on line and in an active session to deal with e-mail. If, like me you are dealing with a number of individual e-mails at one time, you can not do it without multiple full browser windows open. This ties up system resources.

Using web based e-mail also promotes the usage of html based e-mail. Thus adding to the problem of increasing size of e-mails and running out of space.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

And false positives?

Besides, you are comparing it to a rotten way of doing things (Outlook) to ANYTHING ELSE.

No false positives AFAIK. But don't forget I also use Mac OSX where I use the built-in Mail system which has a bayesian filter. It is incredible at spamcatching.

Yet Gmail beats it because web based mail lets me manage my mail online, so I can read it from my pc, my mac laptop...it just works much better for me.

The ads? Haven't even thought twice about them. I actually even clicked on a few because they were interesting. If I accept that a spam filter reads my mail, I have no problems letting a ad filter read it.

kyrsid and fhinds,

make your Forums profile visible, include your name, email address and country of origin in your profile, and get your post counter here at Hypography up to at least 10, and I'll send you a gamil account as well.

Thanks so much for your interest!!

And to FreeT... the main thing about them scanning the e-mail for web ads is that admit to doing it. Personally, it really doesn't bother me at all. I have a personal e-mail address that is only for close friends and family, and a few dozen other accounts for junk. Gmail just makes it easier to have all of the junk sent to one place to be able to manage it. Plus, I like having my stuff stored by conversation. And like T and Aki, I've had NO SPAM get through yet. Pretty cool to me...

If you want an account, what are you going to offer me eh? Lol, just joking, don't worry about giving me anything... you can get them for free from me

Yeah, like Irish Eyes said, fhinds you need to give me your email.

and to kirsid, check your inbox(and maybe junk), the invitation should be there.