Science Forums

The unethical biometric ID cards

geko

Originally posted by: GAHDwhat specifically worries you about thease cards?

"These cards" with RFID included. These represent an effort to gain as much information on the INDIVIDUAL as possible. On the surface, this may seem innocuous enough. Manufacturers can project, design and supply what the market is most interested. The Government can best respond to the masses wishes. Seems like good things.

However we know thru simple investigation of history that this information is seldom used exclusively for such altruistic purposes. Oriental Interment camps, Black Lists, Committee on UnAmerican Activities, Gitmo, PATRIOT ACT, ...

Especially with the current Exec Admin, it is dangerous to individual rights and freedoms to allow such fanatics to accumulate data at will. I know people that have been stopped from boarding planes because they were on watch lists. These people are American Citizens that are simply Secular anti-war activists. Their only crime is strong public outcry against the current admin.

Look at the Total Information Awareness system. PATRIOT ACT II! With provisions which include the ability for the Exec branch to randomly call any org a terrorist group and "deport" native born Americans to other coountries whether the other country wants them or not. Which while it was defeated in Congress, many parts of it have been passed by voice vote in the middle of the night. Why are they hiding what they are doing if they themselves don't see what is happening?

Pardon me if I sound chauvanistic here, but you shouldn't have to avoind your husband tracking your spending. That indicates a level of mistrust I would not stand for were it even hinted at in a relationship. As for medical info and such, that's the reason people wear medic alert bracelets. I'd personally prefer the hospitals know my blood type, rather than transfusing the wrong stuff and clotting my arteries to all hell.

Geez, they really need to put a tongue-in-cheek button here, not just the italics and bold. I agree, I should tell my husband how much I'm spending, but I'd sure rather be the one that tells him than have it be readily available through RF monitoring before I even get through the door of our home.

It takes less than two minutes to correctly type blood. And you are right, that's why people wear those bracelets. If I don't have any problems, then I don't wear a bracelet, and you have no need to know how many times I've given birth, given blood, had a cold, or that I have menstrual migraines, so I don't need to carry a card for you to have my entire medical history at your fingertips. Besides, with all of the hippa stuff going on, I'm not even sure that it would be possible right now.

And I think the example of the implanted micro-chip has already been used, right? Yes, I may seem incredibly paranoid, but what's the next step after RFID in products and ID cards? "It'll just be so much easier to keep track of everyone, their bank accounts, their purchases, etc. if we just put this tiny little piece of metal right here under your skin, it won't even hurt, we promise!" I mean, does anyone else see the direction this is going, or just this crazily paranoid mommy?

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

It takes less than two minutes to correctly type blood.

And I think the example of the implanted micro-chip has already been used, right? Yes, I may seem incredibly paranoid, but what's the next step after RFID in products and ID cards? "It'll just be so much easier to keep track of everyone, their bank accounts, their purchases, etc. if we just put this tiny little piece of metal right here under your skin, it won't even hurt, we promise!" I mean, does anyone else see the direction this is going, or just this crazily paranoid mommy?

First off, 2 minutes can mean the difference between recovery and irrevocable brain damage. That aside, it is everyone's right to not go to the doc, I myself hate physitions and have only allowed 2 needles to pierce my skin in all my life. I do understand what you mean here, but EVERYTHING you've been diagnosed with is on your medical file and accesible to any doc with you # as-is.

as to the chip in your palm, it's been implemented as security measures in a few private sectors allready.

Now I suppose I'd better relate my side better.

1)The government can have all the info it wants on me, the credit agencies can collect all they want.

2) The only information they can collect is the information I provide; most of which is useless finantial data anyways.

3)At the end of the day 100' of coiled copper wire and a bank of capacitors in the right place can wipe all that from the face of the planet; hard copies have mostly gone the way of the Dodo.

4) THe information iteself is only available to the country in question. Move to Cuba and Fidel could care less.

5) Were the information kept on a card rather than in a central database, I suddenly have infinatly more freedom to tailor my own data; Woo hoo!