Science Forums

Study On Mma Fighters Attitudes Towards Physical Pain

AlexAG

Unlike other combat sports, MMA involves a variety of striking and grappling techniques focused in almost every part of the opponent's body, therefore the physical damage dealt and taken by these athletes comes in a wide range of qualities and intensities. High profile MMA fighters develop an outstanding physical pain tolerance and pain coping strategies which gradually modify their attitudes towards physical pain, making them less likely to catastrophize or mishandle pain experiences. Given this context, having a deeper knowledge on fighters attitudes towards physical pain may be useful in developing more effective non-pharmacological pain management interventions. Currently I'm working on my master’s degree thesis proyect which involves MMA fighter's implicit (non-conscious) attitudes toward pain-related concepts which will be examined by using the Implicit Association Test (IAT). 

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Alex

Some interesting info on this topic:

What is IAT? ------------> https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/iatdetails.html

Contribute to science, take a test (IAT)! ------------> https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

• 4 weeks later...

Having experienced pain, I would suggest that it's not a big factor in the minds of these fighters. Much more important to them is to not suffer any permanent damage.

For an example of how permanent damage is more important than pain, consider being tied up and having a finger or fingers cut off, one by one.

On pain: A person's capacity to stand pain can be judged by their willingness to accept self-induced pain by standing under an ice cold shower after coming out of a sauna or steam room. Some revel in it but some turn the water to warm. It's surprising to see who will endure the ice cold water and appear to enjoy it!