Photo
- - - - -

Study: Bilingualism Produces Experience-Dependent Gray And White Matter Changes In Brain Structures Of Adults

bilingualism gray matter white matter neuroscience

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HSE01

HSE01

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

An interesting paper was recently released on bilingualism and how it affects gray and white matter in brain structures of adults. The study was conducted by a group of UK-based researchers at the University of Reading.

Highly recommend, it's a good read.

Source

• Flummoxed likes this

#2 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:35 AM

An interesting paper was recently released on bilingualism and how it affects gray and white matter in brain structures of adults. The study was conducted by a group of UK-based researchers at the University of Reading.

Highly recommend, it's a good read.

Source

Being bilingual is also supposed to delay the onset of alzheimers and dementia, by about 4 years. https://www.medicaln...articles/320864

https://www.scienced...80206140713.htm

I wonder if speaking bits of lots of languages works the same as being bilingual??? 

Edited by Flummoxed, 23 April 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#3 Mpossum

Mpossum

Thinking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:45 AM

Great forum topic. I honestly have been learning my language, Chamorro language, as I am part Chamorro, for next to 5 years now. I think that I am a much cleaner and logical person for it; not that there is too much difference, just the fact that I always wanted to be a certain kind of person, and it used to show that I was missing an entire cultural component. Sort of like too American for my kind, as I am more than half white, but I wasn't full white. It also made me realize that, it is kinda logical that if it is impossible for someone to learn a language, there might be some kinks in their thinking. Not to say that people cannot think strait, since they do speaking a language at all, but if it's next to impossible, then I would suggest that maybe there is a learning problem going on. I used to think like this, until I tackled a language head on. I think the basics of most languages, the basic syntax, could be learned on 1 sheet of paper, aside from vocabulary.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bilingualism, gray matter, white matter, neuroscience