Science Forums

Sound And Light Speed Barriers. One Has Been Broken. Light Barrier Is Next?

rhertz

For long time I've tried to figure out if the constancy of the speed of light at vacuum was an "universal constant", as science today assume that G, h, permittivity and permeability are alleged to be.

To state that some parameter poses an universal value is, at least, arrogant (IMHO).

I know that science need certainty to advance. At any field.

I can't imagine a scientist trying to go ahead with theories, backed by historical data, if he/she has doubts about fundamentals.

These doubts could eat them alive, freezing their thoughts in the fear to deepen the wrongness of the influencial knowledge that is currently accepted.

But, to talk about universal is a little too much for me. The reasons couldn't be simpler: we are living in a place within the visible universe

(not to talk about observable or, worse, real universe) that occupies a volumetric portion of one part in 1058 Earth's volumes.

To pretend that something discovered in our surroundings (Earth or Solar System) can be assumed to be true at every place in such

enormous place like the Hubble's universe is, falls into a narcisism and arrogance that's unforgivable.

The once believed as unsurpassable speed of sound barrier only needed to know a little better about several branches like aerodynamics, thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, compressibility, mechanics, etc. With a learning curve that took about 10 years,

the whole body of knowledge needed was developed, tested and put into the industrial arena.

Some thing happened in water whith the performance of torpedos. Almost same branch of physics applied to fluids were involved.

There was a barrier for speed under water, arround 60 Km/hr. But, at the USSR and back in the '70s, they started to think out of the

box and developed a "proper enviroment" for torpedos using air bubbles as a shell between water and the torpedo, inventing the super-cavitating torpedo, which travels at 400 Km/hr or higher (noisy yes, but it works and is lethal).

When I thought about the constancy of the speed of light at vacuum, decades ago, and being familiar with Maxwell theory, I only had to look at the theoretical value of the speed of light that he calculated by 1864 (incredible genius beyond human understanding), I asked myself: BUT, if somehow permittivity or permeability varies along the space, then the speed of light changes.

In a second line of thought, I asked myself some years ago: Would be possible for a spacecraft to create its "proper" permittivity

or permeability around it, in such a way that it could work as with the sound barrier or the water barrier?

What if, somehow and with electromagnetic technology (undiscovered yet), the spacecraft could navigate surrounded by a field

at which (for instance) permittivity is four times lower? It would project around the spacecraft a new c' = 2c, and in this way AND preserving current theories, it would not violate relativity but EXTEND IT, so that travelling at 1.3c is OK.

Do any of you believe that this is a possible way? To create a "proper" ambient around the ship to travel in the outer space?

Several questions arise, like the energy it could require and IF the electronics within the spacecraft could be isolated from this

change, so the known behavior of this technology is preserved "indoors".

It would be not supraluminal speed. It would be "local subluminal speed". It would be like cheating nature. But it happened before.

What do you think about this?

Note (May 17 @ 10:11 AM Western Time)

I've edited this OP by dismissing two paragraphs at which I wrote about personal feelings of scientists working on

new theories, as this is subjective.

For the rest of this OP, I can't find any reason by which it was moved to the Strange Claims section.

I find it not only offensive to my freedom of thought but also I doubt about the real reasons by which this was done,

without notifying me of such a move. This idea is not different from any other ideas that I observed on the main body

of this forum, and also is backed by numerous experiments conducted in decades, at laboratories around the world,

to modify the "impedance" of the free space in different ways, to allow light to propagate at higher speeds than "c".

And everyone of them is related to modifications in permittivity and permeability. The differences are that the enviroment

has been circunscripted to the laboratory.

I've read your policy for posting, and I don't find this OP to violate any.

The root of my claims is HOW such parameters are defined today, after Maxwell, being that BOTH are

the only basis for the theoretical calculation of the speed of light at vacuum, c0.

There is nothing which forbids that mu0 = B0/H0 to be changed in a particular context. And this is the same with permittivity.

So, I'm reporting myself with this OP to gain your attention and to receive the due apologies for your action, besides reposting this

at its original place. You can delete this note if you do so.

If I don't get the due satisfaction, and being a serious person, I'm leaving this forum for good.

Best regards,

Richard.

Edited by rhertz

Light speed has been broken, in special mediums. Electrons for instance moving in superconductors will give off Cherenkov radiation which is analogous to the sonic boom, or Larmor radiation for accelerated charges.

It's just that light speed cannot be broken in free space. You need special physics to make it happen.

The speed of light in free space is  about 2.98x108 m/s. Cherenkov radiation happens because the speed of light is slowed down in a medium to less than c. Allowing relativistic particles to exceed the speed of light in that medium. 

Like you say that cant happen in free space, unless maybe there is a superconducting rock floating around out there, which at near absolute zero, might not be a stupid thought. 

A pop science link on Cherenkov radiationhttps://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae457.cfm

Edit I just noticed the link I posted above wasnt working, https://www.livescience.com/29111-speed-of-light-not-constant.html

Why do you think superconductivity would change the situation?