Science Forums

Best Way To Hire A Science Consultants?

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping to learn as to the best methods for hiring science consultants from various fields to examine the feasibility of a novel I am writing. Is there a particular way of going about it, or is it like hiring an artist for a commission? Is it normally an hourly rate or a daily rate? Are their any good sites you would recommend to find them? Is it appropriate to contact a professor at a college or an industry professional if they would be willing to consult?

Depends entirely on how much you're willing to pay i'd think. Leaving letters with faculty and grad students at your local Universities seems like a good start. I knew a few grad students who would talk for a cheeseburger to get off the ramen noodle diet...

Depends entirely on how much you're willing to pay i'd think. Leaving letters with faculty and grad students at your local Universities seems like a good start. I knew a few grad students who would talk for a cheeseburger to get off the ramen noodle diet...

Thanks, I'd be willing to pay a decent amount if it means accuracy. Though, what if I am no longer affiliated with a University. It's been almost three years since I've set foot into one. 

I've never had an issue just walking into any of the campuses around me...

Student unions and graduate students associations could good places to look around too.

Huh. Never really crossed my mind that I could just walk back into one and ask a professor. Can't believe that I let that slip my mind. Thanks for the advise

If its science fiction you are writing, you couldn't have come to a better forum :) Occasionally science facts are discussed here as well as speculations. I think you will find people here more than happy to discuss any subject you like  :) You might be ? whelmed with the response 

indeed.

I dunno what dubbel is talking about, Servitude free, I want at-least 50 dollars an hour or more to even look at you, but you know at-least scientists are not as bad as lawyers, they would ask you for 5 grand down or something.

Edited by VictorMedvil