20 replies to this topic

#18 Dubbelosix

Dubbelosix

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

Actually I've just had a look at the Friedmann equations and so now I know what a and k are. I find I was wrongly taking k to be Boltzmann's constant (seeing as Doublesox's equation contains temperature so is implicitly thermodynamic) but it is isn't that. In the context of Friedmann's equations, k is a dimensionless parameter, set to be between -1 and +1, according to whether a 3-spherical, flat or hyperbolic universe is being considered. So it is a sort of "shape" factor. a, on the other hand is the "scale factor", again dimensionless. 

So I need to re-do my dimension check on the second term in the LHS bracket. I now get something a lot simpler, viz. L²/T².  So it is still a nonsense, as one cannot add terms with different dimensions, but at least we don't have to worry about daft things like √M.  Maybe if Doublesox can add something to the first term with dimensions L², he can make it look more superficially plausible, at least.  :winknudge:

Oh is this you in a round-about way saying you may have been wrong... Let me help you articulate it better, you are wrong.

#19 Dubbelosix

Dubbelosix

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:08 AM

Here, I'll be kinder, if you can allow yourself enough time, the entire derivations can be found here. Enjoy.

https://prebigbangstate.quora.com/

#20 Dubbelosix

Dubbelosix

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

Here is an example of my proclivity for dimensional analysis. I noticed an error in a wiki article, made a public post on stack exchange (which is full of physicists) and it wasn't answered for a while... until I had to answer my own question. I exposed the wiki article as wrong.

https://physics.stac...s/472807#472807

#21 Bradpitt4

Bradpitt4

Curious

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

Hey, I have a delete button if you'd pm'd me instead I would have accommodated you even though you're incapable of creating your own interpretations. But since you're trying to get me banned..I won't!