Science Forums

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

hazelm

I soon realized that I would never get to the last page of "What Are You Listening To?"  And, even if I did, I would then get scolded because this doesn't fit its agenda.  So:

What I am listening to is the very special deep silence that can be produced only - absolutely only - by a very deep snow.  I am sure everyone north of Mason-Dixon knows it.  We don't get it often where I live but when we do, it's a whole new world - a very special form of music that not even a silent orchestra can produce, to say nothing of an attempt to play a picture of it.  "White Music"?

• 2 months later...

Little Walter doin a Big Bill Broonzy tune:

Little Walter was a small guy with a big mouth who drank a lot and had a hot temper--a combination that was not conducive to either good health or longevity.  He died after one of his many bar-room fights at the age of 38.

Edited by Moronium

• 2 weeks later...

I soon realized that I would never get to the last page of "What Are You Listening To?"  And, even if I did, I would then get scolded because this doesn't fit its agenda.  So:

What I am listening to is the very special deep silence that can be produced only - absolutely only - by a very deep snow.  I am sure everyone north of Mason-Dixon knows it.  We don't get it often where I live but when we do, it's a whole new world - a very special form of music that not even a silent orchestra can produce, to say nothing of an attempt to play a picture of it.  "White Music"?

I haven't heard that silence in several decades.  These days all I hear is the constant ringing from tinnitus.  The cause is most likely due to blood pressure, but I think part of it is elevation.  I live at about 1,000 feet above MSL, and I never notice the ringing when I am down at the beach.  The background noise at 30,000 feet is too much to tell if the ringing is still there.

ADD:  For the sake of clarity, I meant a quiet hotel room down at the beach, not actually on the beach.

Edited by fahrquad

I soon realized that I would never get to the last page of "What Are You Listening To?"  And, even if I did, I would then get scolded because this doesn't fit its agenda....

I am sure this thread will be around for a few years.  There is one thread I ran across on that started in 2007 and had around 2300 posts.