Science Forums

Are Most Springs We Get Drinking Water From Cold?

Not the exact temperature but.. I've been wondering

There has been some debate on the internet about room temperature or cold water being better for you body (im sure its all pseudo science nonsense)

But it did get me thinking. The springs humans have been drinking out of for throughout history on this planet..  Are most of them pretty cold? Do we have an evolutionary preference for cold water?

I have never really been to a spring to gather my own water.   Are they usually pretty cold?   

If you are even in Independence, MO, be sure to have some large bottles to stock up on the best spring water.  All of the city's water comes from very deep springs passing through limestone, if I remember rightly.  What keeps it so pure is that the springs sit lower than the river bed.  No chance of contamination despite their nearness.

And, yes, it is cold -- cold and so refreshing.  I do miss it from my days there.  So different from chemically-treated river water.