Science Forums

Show me why helium won’t freeze!

Show me why helium won’t freeze!

I am from Missouri. It is the show me state. If you say you have something then our answer is show me. If you say you can build a house that’s great, but you need to show me to convince me. First draw it out on paper. Then build it. If it is a house then we know you can build a house. If you can’t then as far as we are concerned you’re “Full of it”.

I have said the atoms, molecules, and compounds are composed of key ring atoms. I have also stated that gases bounce, liquids roll, and solids lay flat. Now, it’s my turn. I have to show you. First, I will show it to you on paper. Then, I will show you models we have built. If my theory is correct a model of helium will never lay flat.

At my web site is an illustration of helium. It has 4 dark proton rings in the center. It has a lot of red electron rings around the proton rings. Notice the outside of the helium. It is round. This illustration is a hot helium molecule, it will bounce. Imagine the electron rings as being smaller for a cold helium molecule. The outside will still be round, no matter how small the electron rings get. The molecule will be round and it will roll. It will become a very small ball. It will never lay flat. It will never freeze. This is called the super fluidity of helium.

That’s showing it on paper. The next thing to do is build a model. I got some wire, some fishing line, and some glue. I paid my children to make the model. They took the wire and wrapped it around some pipe to form the circles. They then tied the proton rings together. The proton rings are blue. Then they tied in the electron rings. The electron rings are red. They only used a few electron rings so the proton rings can be seen. If you use too many electron rings you have a shell and you can’t see the middle. We have no way of causing the proton rings and electron rings to circle, so they glued all the proton rings and electron rings in place. A picture of my children is at my web site . My children are in grade school and high school. My son that is in the 6th grade is holding a hot helium molecule model. Notice it is round. The density is low it will bounce. My son that is in the 5th grade is holding the cold helium molecule model. The electron rings are the same size as the proton rings. I think this atom would be close to absolute zero. The density of the cold is higher than that of the hot. Notice it is round and much smaller than the hot helium. No mater how cold helium gets, it won’t lay flat. It will roll and be a liquid. This is a simple answer to the super fluidity of helium.

There is another picture of the hot and cold helium molecules side by side at my web site . You can see the difference in size and density. You can also see both are round.

The theory of the standard model of helium has 2 protons, 2 neutron, and 2 orbiting electrons. This model was considered to be a miniature solar system. This atom vibrates to produce hot and cold. This theory came out over 90 years ago. Can grade school children build a model of a miniature vibrating solar system that explains why helium won’t freeze? Can high school children build a model of a miniature vibrating solar system that explains why helium won’t freeze? Can college students build a model of a miniature vibrating solar system that explains why helium won’t freeze? Can our top physicist build a model of a miniature vibrating solar system that explains why helium won’t freeze? No, they can’t. No plausible solution to why helium won’t freeze has ever been produced to my knowledge. Why can’t it be explained? It’s because the geometry of the standard model is wrong.

If grade school children can build something that our top physicist can’t then you should be seeing some big red flags waving. Use your brain. Believe what you eyes are telling you. Listen to your common sense. When it comes to the atom, PT Barnum may be right. I am from Missouri. If the standard model of the atom is so good then “Show Me” a model that explains why helium won’t freeze.

I remember reading somewhere that, in very extreme conditions, even hydrogen could be in the metallic state.
I've been trying to show a link regarding this question but I'm having trouble getting it to load. Sorry!! This is a short overview of the article.

According to early calculations solid hydrogen should start conducting at about 340 GPa, however an experiment was done at Cornell University in 1998 which failed to achieve this result. A new boundry has now been extrapolated to be around 450 GPa where hydrogen should turn to a (metallic) conductor. Wheather this has been accomplished to date, I have not been able to determine.

Sorry Dannel, I can't show you why helium doesn't freeze... because it does.

http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/~therman/lowtemp/projects1.htm

You really need to work harder on the basics. ;)

I asked for it. You showed me and you showed me up. I made a MISTAKE. It's not my first mistake and it won't be my last.

However, you have given me a huge piece of information that I was unaware of. I was unaware of helium freezing under external pressure. I look at things from a geometrical point of view. I believe the shape determines the phenomenon. If helium will freeze under pressure, then it has to have some flat spots in it's shape. Absolute zero is something I have struggled with in my theory from the start. Temperature is determined by the size of the electron rings in each atom. I have never known how small to make the electron rings in relation to the size of the proton ring. If you look at my work, you will notice where I set absolute zero. When the electron rings are the same diameter as the proton rings that was absolute zero. That's where I made my mistake. If I make the electron rings smaller on the helium, flat spots will appear. The shape of the helium will be like a dice with rounded corners. (Dice like you roll in a board game). I will make some models of helium with electron rings that have a diameter about a half to a forth the diameter of the proton ring. I will post them when I get them. It may be a few weeks.

You have also opened my eyes to why cold helium flows without friction. The smaller electron ring is what will cause the helium to become frictionless. I will be showing this in the near future. This has also led me down another path, why do some materials become brittle as they get colder. I will try and answer this as well.

Thank you for "Showing Me". There's a lot of remarkable work going on out there. The link was very interesting and educational. My goal is to put better geometry inside the atomic shells. It takes time.

I guess I should have titled my article "Show me why it is so hard to freeze helium".

Dannel, I'm amazed at your perseverance.

Also, I have to commend you on the fact that you seem pretty humble and well-mannered in the face of severe criticism.

I do admire your odassity in trying to throw the whole of Standard Theory out the window, together with the hotdog wrappers.

I do say, however, that since we can never really probe matter at the atomic level, any shape or size that satisfies the data would be acceptable. But once again, that's depending on predictions, and results of experiments that'll make or break your theory.

So, let's begin with helium. How does your theory explain superfluidity where surface tension breaks down, and stuff runs up the side of containers?

You have also opened my eyes to why cold helium flows without friction. The smaller electron ring is what will cause the helium to become frictionless. I will be showing this in the near future.
Nope. ;)

It's 'cause the He atom is a boson. Temperature easily breaks up the flock of sheep but, near 0 K, they literally shepherd themselves.

So, let's begin with helium. How does your theory explain superfluidity where surface tension breaks down, and stuff runs up the side of containers?

I am hoping to post part of this answer next week. The 7th function that the atom must do is "provide the mechanism of adhesion between molecules". When I post this I will be able to show what causes surface tension. After I show that, I will be able to show how surface tension breaks down and why a super fluid is frictionless. This post may answer a lot of questions that you may have in my theory.

I put my theory into a book. It has only been out for a few months. I have learned a lot since finishing the book. Helium freezing under pressure is something I was unaware of. Due to that, I am in the process of building some newer models of helium. I usually pay my children to build them. But last night, I worked on an atom that was a super fluid. I can see why it is frictionless. I will be taking pictures of my latest models and they will be part of what I post.

"Why the stuff runs up the side" is something that you may be able to figure out after I post this next thread. There is an answer for every phenomenon. Finding the answer takes time and work.

Thank you for your interest and kind words.

... You showed me and you showed me up. .
Dannel, it was definitely not my intention to 'show you up'. It's just from my perspective you are investing a huge amount of time and effort to fix something 'that ain't broke'. You still have not explained, that I can see, what you think is wrong with our current theories. (We all know they are incomplete, but you appear not only to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but tossing the neighbours in too.)

You are clearly intelligent, eclectic in your reading, passionately interested in your subject. Might these attributes not be better employed in mastering current explanations for phenomena rather than in the, probably, forlorn task of creating a new theory.