54 replies to this topic

#52 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

I like the 'smoke and mirrors' description! But if you're familliar with the James Randi $1,000,000 challenge then that would about cover it.

I wasnt but I am now https://en.wikipedia...ormal_Challenge

I wonder if I could take him to an alleged haunted house with atmosphere and wire it for sound, would he buy it, or cough the cash. The challenge was terminated in 2015 so I guess not

#53 montgomery

montgomery

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

I wasnt but I am now https://en.wikipedia...ormal_Challenge

I wonder if I could take him to an alleged haunted house with atmosphere and wire it for sound, would he buy it, or cough the cash. The challenge was terminated in 2015 so I guess not

I think he's already done a haunted house challenge. 

#54 Dubbelosix

Dubbelosix

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2922 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:35 AM

If it means anything coming from me, I do believe there is more than what the conscious mind can detect. I am not saying ghosts are real, but a perception of something beyond would mean ''ghosts'' are a metaphor for something many people have experienced.

#55 MikeBrace

MikeBrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:53 AM

I've spent a lifetime thinking about 'the Soul'. Most people have a perception of what a 'soul' is, but I think few have actually defined it. I submit this for your review:

The spark of life in you, your life force, is just your consciousness (you) collaborating with organic cells (also made up of matter and energy) on a very large scale in order to survive in a place where everything eats everything else just to stay alive. It’s who you see when you look in the mirror. Most, if not all living organisms [that do not belong to a collective] have a life force. We humans call it our consciousness.

A soul is a mental and spiritual entity that influences a life force (your consciousness) to act in a sustaining and nurturing manner. Depending on how closely your consciousness listens to it the soul is capable of controlling the life force of a living organism beyond its basic instincts (and what Mother Nature intended for it), and the soul is the only life force capable of understanding and offering an act of compassion on its own free will.

A soul [by definition] acts as a compassionate being on its own free will. As such, it can only occupy a living creature that has a conscious, one that can be controlled and one that is capable of showing an act of compassion. However it is not as powerful as your life force (your consciousness) and if your consciousness so chooses to it can override your soul’s emotions, especially involving acts of compassion.

Compassion? The Merriam-Webster Dictionary [loaded in this computer’s word program] defines compassion as:

• Sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it
  • A feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry, in trouble, etc.

This dictionary goes on to list some of the more common synonyms as:

• commiseration, sympathy, feeling

I find it rather odd that this dictionary (as well as most others that I looked at) missed the boat completely on defining the word compassion. They all seem to define compassion as an adjective and liken it to a level of sympathy (or empathy) for another person. It has to be more than that. If not, where does that leave an ‘act of compassion’ when compared to an ‘act of empathy’ or an ‘act of sympathy’?

Think about it. An act of compassion is more than just describing a feeling of sympathy towards someone’s plight; it’s actually doing something to help them alleviate their pains and sorrows. It is the physical act of ‘lending a helping hand’.

Here’s what I propose we consider as the more complete definition of Compassion as it pertains to the soul:

Compassion (noun):

The investment and/or expenditure of a personal asset on behalf of another living being, knowing that there exists a high probability that there will be an immediate negative rate of return on the investment, but cognizant of the fact that the recipient(s) of this expenditure may benefit in a positive manner from this expenditure.

Act of compassion (verb):

Showing or exhibiting compassion.

Here is a simplified version of compassion:

Willingly helping another living creature by freely giving away your time, physical help and/or wealth knowing that in all likelihood this creature cannot immediately pay you back, and that in many cases (and in all likelihood) you risk losing more than just your initial investment, but that [if you have judged the situation wisely] the recipient of your giving’s will use your giving’s wisely for the betterment of themselves, others and/or this planet.

I submit that 'Compassion' defines the soul and is unique to the soul.