Science Forums

Is This A Hoax?

LisaL

what about the frank baker case/documentary on the science channel? (and similar cases) was that a hoax too?

By all credible reports, yes, not only a hoax, but attempted fraud. See post #9 for more details and links.

however watching the documentary he seems sincere.

People attempting to defraud others usually do appear sincere.

he also set up a facebook page about raising money to fund a cure for his condition.

Notice that every attempt by Baker to set use a crowdfunding site to actually get money from people has quickly been taken down. These sites bear some legal responsibility not to facilitate fraud, which is criminal. Social media sites like FaceBook, which don’t actually handle money, have less legal responsibility, so tend not to take down pages like Baker’s.

I don't believe in the idea of spontaneous human combustion. But I do believe that I spontaneously combust people! Hell what's more fun than setting something on fire they said, nothing of course right? WRONG! Setting people on fire is way more fun! 

Just kidding, I don't do it for fun I get paid to do it... MUAHAHAHAHA!

• 3 weeks later...

This Corvidus character has been infesting other science discussion forums with the same nonsense, under a variety of names and sockpuppets. Here are two examples:

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/is-it-possible-for-a-human-to-spontaneously-combust.140292/page-8

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/why-do-people-die-from-very-severe-fevers.141621/#post-3192798

He was recently also on the science forum under the name Leo Corvidae, with various cock-and-bull stories. 

The funniest was a story about someone who, he claimed, was throttled by his own thymus gland: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/can-cold-air-really-choke-someone-to-death.140305/

Perhaps you have already had this one here, too, I don't know.   

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what about the frank baker case/documentary on the science channel? (and similar cases) was that a hoax too? I remember reading about it in the Mirror (news website) and some woman left a comment implying she knew him (or his wife) and called him and his friend out for lying. He also refused a polygraph. 

however watching the documentary he seems sincere. he also set up a facebook page about raising money to fund a cure for his condition.

If a bastion of journalistic integrity like the Mirror can't be trusted, then who can be? :hammer:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

Since we are posting on irrelevant topics here, I would like to mention that I am considering running for the local redevelopment board again  (from which I was forced to step down after 2 years due to changes in state laws).

Edited by fahrquad

What about cases of people suddenly feeling hot in a localized part of their skin followed by the production of smoke from their bare skin, followed by burn wounds? Are those hoaxes too?

The DOCUMENTED cases of people feeling hot in a localized part of their skin are usually experiencing the symptoms of menopause.  The possibility of water laden human cells combusting on their own is a physical impossibility.  We have already discussed the necessary temperatures for combustion in the posts above.  Give it up LisaL, logic and reason are completely against your supposition, as is the complete lack of documented physical evidence.  In technical terms it is only a supposition, and does not rise to the level of a hypothesis or a theory due to the complete lack of evidence.  Peddle your pseudoscience in the tabloids, where it belongs.  This is a real Science forum. 

The DOCUMENTED cases of people feeling hot in a localized part of their skin are usually experiencing the symptoms of menopause.  The possibility of water laden human cells combusting on their own is a physical impossibility.  We have already discussed the necessary temperatures for combustion in the posts above.  Give it up LisaL, logic and reason are completely against your supposition, as is the complete lack of documented physical evidence.  In technical terms it is only a supposition, and does not rise to the level of a hypothesis or a theory due to the complete lack of evidence.  Peddle your pseudoscience in the tabloids, where it belongs.  This is a real Science forum. 

You seem obsessed with this topic. The discussion petered out in May. I thought we agreed the poster seemed to have got help and stopped. Why not give it a rest and turn your mind to something more worthwhile?   

Like Craig D said wax candles. We are encased in a layer of fat and our clothes can act like wicks so it's not a mystery. Why do you think most modern cigarettes are self extinguishing.

Cigarette butts are no longer self-extinguishing due to the chemicals or elements that were added to the filter being deleted (i remember asbestos micronite filters).  My Marlboro Ultra-Light Menthol 100 butts continue to burn in the coffee can I use outside the door.  The can is generally self-emptying as the butts burn off. I have smoked on and off for the last 40 years (the longest period off was 10 years before my new wife and I went to visit my friend dying of cancer (see other posts).

You seem obsessed with this topic. The discussion petered out in May. I thought we agreed the poster seemed to have got help and stopped. Why not give it a rest and turn your mind to something more worthwhile?   

I am not obsessed with this non-topic  Not worthy of serious discussion here or anywhere else, IMHO.  It keeps popping up on many different threads and I feel an obligation to dis-spell the BS whenever I can.  I am probably fighting a futile battle against some sort of Bot.

Cigarette butts are no longer self-extinguishing due to the chemicals or elements that were added to the filter being deleted ...

Your claim seemed reasonable to me, fahrquad, so I googled it, and found this

In 2003, U.S. states began requiring that all cigarettes sold must be “fire-safe,” that is, have sharply reduced ignition strength (ability to start fires), as determined by ASTM Standards. By 2010, fire-safe cigarette legislation was in effect in 47 states. From 2003 to 2010, the number of civilian deaths in smoking-material fires fell by an average of 21 percent.

2012 is the first year all 50 state laws are effective, and all inventories of pre-standard cigarettes should have sold out.

at National Fire Protection Association's "About fire safe cigarettes" webpage.

Your claim appears to be wrong.

I am not obsessed with this non-topic  Not worthy of serious discussion here or anywhere else, IMHO.  It keeps popping up on many different threads and I feel an obligation to dis-spell the BS whenever I can.  I am probably fighting a futile battle against some sort of Bot.

But you are not "fighting" against anything. No one is posting on this topic, except you.